Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2011 6:42:28 PM EDT
I noticed with the Japanese Nuclear situation that people are getting iodine.  My question is simple:  What can a person get that if a dirty bomb went off where radiation might hit your area or if a nuclear plant near you had something happen, what can you do to help your situation out?  Is it iodine?  What else?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I noticed with the Japanese Nuclear situation that people are getting iodine.  My question is simple:  What can a person get that if a dirty bomb went off where radiation might hit your area or if a nuclear plant near you had something happen, what can you do to help your situation out?  Is it iodine?  What else?

Thanks.
You have to take the potassium iodine a few days before  (or a certain time before) for it to fill your thyroid, is my understanding.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]
MOPP gear and a good mask.

potassium iodine only protects your thyroid.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
MOPP gear and a good mask.

potassium iodine only protects your thyroid.

And a few feet off dirt/concrete/lead/etc. between you and the radiation.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top