Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 5:28:16 PM EDT
THis came up in a conversation today, was there a Executive Order banning the sale of surplus government firearms parts to US civilians?  I was  pretty sure Bill Clinton did it, however I haven't actually seen the EO anywhere. Am I confusing this with something else?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Considering you can still buy anything you want from CMP, I'd say no.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They have M16 bolts and barrels?

ETA: Let me rephrase this, the US govt is no longer selling parts to the public, was this the result of a Bill Clinton E.O.?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Not quite anything, all the stuff I want is newer than WWII.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
tag for answer
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw a show on how the .mil fixes tanks and they also showed the small arms group that does the tear down of the pistols and the AR. Basically everything gets shredded up and recycled. There isn't anything left that isn't the size of a quarter left.  It all took place in MI somewhere and it came in by train. The tanks were fixed and refitted and back on the train to some port on the East coast. The shredded guns went by truck to be recycled.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
FUNCTIONAL (major) gun parts are considered "demill code D" which is destroy. Been that way for awhile..

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: Let me rephrase this, the US govt is no longer selling parts to the public, was this the result of a Bill Clinton E.O.?

I don't think anyone would want a shot out surplus m16 barrel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FUNCTIONAL (major) gun parts are considered "demill code D" which is destroy. Been that way for awhile..

Yep...... since 1974........

The government , CMP notwitstanding, has only ever released "scrap" to the public........some more "functional" than the rest.......

Neither Bill Clinton or any other Pres had anything to do with banning the sale of parts ("scrap").........DOD simply adopted more efficient demil procedures.......all into a shredder rather than individual stripping/torch cutting/shearing

You can still buy all the "parts" you could before.....they are just in smaller chunks......

Below is where the current standards/requirements can be found........I thought the part in red was kinda interesting.....

SMALL ARMS WEAPONS AND RELATED PARTS, COMPONENTS AND ACCESSORIES.
See DoD 4000.25-2-M, Chapter 12, DoD 4160.21-M-1, Chapters II and III and Appendix 4, Category 1; DoD 4160.21-M, Chapter IV, Paragraph B63; AND DRMS-I 4160.14, VOLUME II, CHAPTER 2, PARAGRAPH N .

NOTE: THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE APPROPRIATIONS ACT FOR FY 2003, SECTION 8019, CONTINUES RESTRICTIONS ON THE DEMILITARIZATION AND DISPOSAL OF CERTAIN SMALL ARMS. THE ACT STATES THAT NO DOD FUNDS MAY BE USED TO DEMILITARIZE OR DISPOSE OF M-1 CARBINES, M-1 GARAND RIFLES, M-14 RIFLES, .22 CALIBER RIFLES, .30 CALIBER DIFLES, OR M-1911 PISTOLS. DRMOs WILL NOT ACCEPT OR DEMILITARIZE THESE ITEMS. 18 Feb 2003
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think anyone would want a shot out surplus m16 barrel.

You'd be surprised.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top