Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 9:42:08 AM EDT
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2011/pdf/history/HB/HB0506.xml

(amendment to current law): A person licensed under Section 45-9-101 to carry a concealed pistol, who has voluntarily completed an instructional course in the safe handling and use of firearms offered by an instructor certified by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training, or by any other organization approved by the Department of Public Safety, shall also be authorized to carry weapons in courthouses except in courtrooms during a judicial proceeding, and any location listed in subsection (13) of Section 45-9-101, except any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, any police, sheriff or highway patrol station or any detention facility, prison or jail.  The department shall promulgate rules and regulations allowing concealed pistol permit holders to obtain an endorsement on their permit indicating that they have completed the aforementioned course and have the authority to carry in these locations.

This will remove restrictions on where people may carry that have 'volunteered' to take an instructional course in firearms usage.    This in essence creates two classes of firearms permits.  A regular class of license, which can carry anywhere except bars, schools, courthouse, police stations, places of nuisance, etc..., and a super duper permit which will let you carry anywhere except police stations and courtrooms and jails (and some others).
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I would like to visit one of these "places of nuisance" just to see what goes on there... is it the DU server room or something?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Meh.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would like to visit one of these "places of nuisance" just to see what goes on there... is it the DU server room or something?

Places where prostitution or where illegal drugs are being used, sold or made.  So, yes.

Great news Nolo.  Any idea which classes would qualify yet?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Places where prostitution or where illegal drugs are being used, sold or made.  So, yes.

Great news Nolo.  Any idea which classes would qualify yet?

I would suspect any NRA approved courses from the get go, however, it is ultimately up to the Dept. of Public Safety which is tasked with implementing the law and promulgating the rules/regs.  I am trying to interject myself into that part of it so they don't go crazy with insane regs/rules.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm glad they expanded but I really hate tier systems.

As do I.  The problem with the whole permit endorsement crap is that it will create situations where I have to either be 1) disarmed while they check my endorsement to carry in those specific places, or 2) will have to show the permit w/ endorsement and prove I can carry where I know I can.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#7]
And just remember when going through a road block, don't mention a gun or permit unless asked.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And just remember when going through a road block, don't mention a gun or permit unless asked.

Been there done that and got the tshirt.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Can't wait to get my super permit.

I wonder if the hunter safety course would qualify as a firearms safety training class. They did make us shoot pistols.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice! I'll sign up for the classes as soon as I know when & where!

I had no idea this was pending!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#11]
If they do accept say the NRA basic pistol class, would it have to be one given in MS or just by any certified instructor?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in the process of getting my DL and stuff transferred over from TN to MS.

In TN, we have to have a safety class (includes firing) to get our CCW permit. Think MS will recognize that as sufficient for this new permit?

I actually do find myself in places once in a while where it would be awfully handy to have that super-duty permit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If they do accept say the NRA basic pistol class, would it have to be one given in MS or just by any certified instructor?

Thanks

No idea.  It really depends on what DPS does.  I believe that *any* approved course would be sufficient, but you never know what kind of stupid regulation will be put in place.  

There is a multitude of fun stuff we will be able to do with this law.  I am unsure if they did this on purpose, or just drafted a bad law, but they have a chance to fix it via regulation, so I will not (yet) put my thoughts out as to what we can do.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm in the process of getting my DL and stuff transferred over from TN to MS.

In TN, we have to have a safety class (includes firing) to get our CCW permit. Think MS will recognize that as sufficient for this new permit?

I actually do find myself in places once in a while where it would be awfully handy to have that super-duty permit.

Good question.  

Or, further, what class of permit will TN be recognized as since in MS we have no firearm course requirement?  Do all out of staters with permits that require training get the super endorsement?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#15]
interesting development, can't wait to see what is "approved" and how the smaller towns who make their own laws as they go will react to this
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Meh.

It's a little bit at a time.  We tried for the across the board carry anywhere law, and it failed.  So, this is the next best thing.  I would suspect after a year of no blood running in the streets we will be able to move to the carry anywhere w/out training super duper endorsement.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
interesting development, can't wait to see what is "approved" and how the smaller towns who make their own laws as they go will react to this

They can't make their own laws as to carry.  They are preempted for the most part.  If you see/hear any town contemplating this, please PM me and I will let their legal department know.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Very nice, I wish GA would pass a law like this one. So CCW on College campus's would be legal if you obtain the "super-duper" permit?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can't make their own laws as to carry.  They are preempted for the most part.  If you see/hear any town contemplating this, please PM me and I will let their legal department know.

Pick any town in the Delta with a population under 10,000... it'll keep you busy for years!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Can you open carry with a permit in MS?  and will you now be able to OC in those places with this new permit or could already carry open there?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can you open carry with a permit in MS?  and will you now be able to OC in those places with this new permit or could already carry open there?

you can open carry in MS with a permit, however, it's not because having a permit allows you to open carry.  (if that makes any sense)

the MS AG made wrote an opinion that said *any* carrying of a firearm is considered concealed.  In a holster?  Concealed.  Hand? Concealed.  Pretty dumb, but that's how it is.  So, if you have a permit to carry concealed, and it's in a holster, then it's concealed.  Our law specifically says you can't 'open carry', but since we have holster=concealed, it's hard to argue that open carry isn't concealed.

I haven't seen any recent case-law on people being prosecuted for CCW open carry, but if anyone knows of any I would be interested in receiving a link.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Very nice, I wish GA would pass a law like this one. So CCW on College campus's would be legal if you obtain the "super-duper" permit?

As I read it, and before DPS gets their paws on it, yes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

OC does not exist in MS as defined by the law. Any carry is considered concealed.

Too Slow.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OC does not exist in MS as defined by the law. Any carry is considered concealed.
Too Slow.

Ok...so your saying I'm correct....you can now open carry in those listed prohibited places with this new permit.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#25]
So, he has over-ridden the will of private business owners to forbid people from carrying firearms within the confines of said business? Do I understand this correctly?

Fuck you Barbour. Another fat old man crossed off my "may vote for" shortlist.

Ron Paul 2012
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too Slow.

Ok...so your saying I'm correct....you can now open carry in those listed prohibited places with this new permit.  Thanks!

Yes and No. I wouldn't do it. You could still be arrested for brandishing or disorderly conduct. The charges may or may not stick but you still would be in jail and have to get a lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#27]
As I understand it, open carry is technically allowed in MS. However, what constitutes concealed is open to a lot of interpretation lately.  If any part of the gun is covered some officers/judges would say it is "concealed".  Kind of retarded.

In your hand could get you in trouble for brandishing a weapon. In a holster could be considered concealed.

The easiest thing to do is just go with the flow and get a permit, unless you have one of the new Magpul invisible holsters.  I got one so I don't have to worry so much about vague interpretations of the law.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So, he has over-ridden the will of private business owners to forbid people from carrying firearms within the confines of said business? Do I understand this correctly?

Ron Paul 2012

no.  you don't understand it correctly.  private businesses may still disallow carrying of firearms.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ron Paul 2012

no.  you don't understand it correctly.  private businesses may still disallow carrying of firearms.

Are you sure it looks like it trumps almost all of section 13?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ron Paul 2012

Ok, then I stand corrected Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ron Paul 2012

(13) In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited."

Still can be prohibited by private owners.  Churches can still prohibit guns.  Bars can still prohibit guns.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Ron Paul 2012

You ready to jump the shark on a moment's notice aren't you?  We've already seen what your state will put up for a candidate so back off, you don't know a real man when you see one!

I jumped too fast this time... sorry!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ron Paul 2012

(13) In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited."

Still can be prohibited by private owners.  Churches can still prohibit guns.  Bars can still prohibit guns.

As if MS laws were not confusing enough.

Couldn't someone argue that since the law says "any location listed in subsection 13"  a place of business or almost anywhere would fall under it? Even if they had a sign that said you couldn't.

(13)  No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed pistol or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any public park unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment, for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; any church or other place of worship; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.  In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited."  No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a concealed pistol or revolver.

Also, what about parades and demonstrations?

This new law is so full of holes.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#34]
parades/demonstrations (that need a permit to be legal) would be out because you would be licensed pursuant to 45-9-101.  It gets better I promise.  Just can't say too much before DPS issues its regs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top