Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 8:22:40 PM EDT
Can anyone explain why some loads are measured in CUP and some in psi? Is there a relation between the two measurements? CUP is a copper slug?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#1]

ETA: "How I measure my LOAD."

Hiya! Welcome to General Discussion!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09202.jpg
ETA: "How I measure my LOAD."

Hiya! Welcome to General Discussion!

Hi-ooooooooooooo!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
CUP is how things were done before electronic transducers.  As there is no direct correlation between CUP and PSI, SAAMI can't just say "great, now cartridge X with Y CUP should be Z PSI."  New cartridges are being done in PSI, and over time, some of the older ones are being re-done to use PSI instead of CUP.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

CUP is how things were done before electronic transducers.  As there is no direct correlation between CUP and PSI, SAAMI can't just say "great, now cartridge X with Y CUP should be Z PSI."  New cartridges are being done in PSI, and over time, some of the older ones are being re-done to use PSI instead of CUP.

this

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Copper unit of pressure. Here wiki it, CUP
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can anyone explain why some loads are measured in CUP and some in psi? Is there a relation between the two measurements? CUP is a copper slug?

copper units of pressure
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

CUP is Copper Units of Pressure.  It is an archaic form of pressure measurement that uses a copper cylinder which is crushed in a tester by the chamber pressure.  Length of the cylinder is measured and CUP extrapolated from that.

There is no accurate comparison between piezoelectric transducer and CUP.  Piezoelectric are calibrated via deadweight tester and ARE a pressure measurement.  Some cartridges are close in PSI-CUP relationship.  Others are not.

SAAMI used both CUP and cartridge case deformation in developing the pressure limits.  This is why the 6mm Remington can go to 65,000 PSI now where the .243 Winchester is limited to 60,000 PSI.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top