Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 4:29:06 PM EDT
Never owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee before, but looking at one as a second vehicle/BOV. It would be used primarily for camping, hitting the lake and SHTF, whenever that happens. What do you think of this?

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSI 4.0l Straight 6 cylinder, Has 3.5 inch Rough Country Suspension lift and Black Powder Coated 15inch rims with 31 by 10.5 Master Craft CT Coursers with 80% tread left, also have original rims with rubber on them, Engine has 218,000 miles Oil changed every 3,000 miles I have owned this vehicle for 6 years and have only had to put a new water pump, alternator and brakes on it. Interior is black leather very clean but driver seat has a tear. Under body is sprayed with undercoating and rear trunk lid bottom has as well to prevent rusting. Runs great and has a lot more life to go! Buying a house and need to downsize on vehicles hate to see it go. Asking 3,000!!

Pictures at link:

http://up.craigslist.org/cto/2263435255.html

How many miles on the engine and transmission of things should I worry about?
What other problem areas should I check?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
seems high to me. i would offer 1800
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That mileage isn't very high for the 4.0 litre or the tranny but remember having oversized tires just puts additional strain on the drivetrain. If it was used for offroading quite a bit it could have put a bit of strain on the tranny. Look out for the rear main seal too, check for oil leakage. The price could be reasonable depending on the local market. Where I live you can find really good deals, but usually on stock ones. When people put lifts and big tires they tend to feel the vehicle is worth more, and to some people it is. To me it makes the vehicle less desirable
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I will offer him $2,000 and see what he says. I am not sold on that high of mileage vehicle being worth that much.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:42:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump up for the morning crew advice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:45:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Try jeepforum.com.  They can probably give you good info.  

I'm still learning about Jeeps.  It is as bad as BRD!!!!  Well, almost.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top