Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2011 6:06:15 AM EDT
There was a quote posted on here a while back about how false or excessive civility was contra-survival and I can't seem to find it.

Can someone remember it, point me to it or provide it from their own notes?

I know I said I was taking a few days off from ARFCOM, but the quote occurred here and I need it to work on something somewhere else so I'm kind of stuck.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#1]
"Don't become so tolerant that you tolerate intolerance."

^Probably not the one you're looking for but I like it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Probably not what you're looking for:

You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

Al Capone, as quoted in Forbes (6 October 1986)
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably not the one your looking for but:

I have often seen people uncivil by too much civility, and tiresome in their courtesy.
-Michel de Montaigne
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Another one that you're not seeking, but by far my fav civility quote:

Civility is the lubricant of society.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump for help.

It was an ARFCOMmer who said it and I told him that I was going to keep it.

And now I can't seem to find it.

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#6]
"By yielding to a false form of civility, we sometimes allow our critics to intimidate us. Active citizens are often subjected to truly vile attacks. They are branded as mean-spirited, racist, Uncle Tom, homophobic, sexist, et cetera. To this we often respond, if not succumb, so as not to be constantly fighting by trying to be tolerant and non-judgmental. That is, we censor ourselves. This is not civility, it is cowardice, or well-intentioned self-deception at best."

- Justice Clarence Thomas
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"By yielding to a false form of civility, we sometimes allow our critics to intimidate us. Active citizens are often subjected to truly vile attacks. They are branded as mean-spirited, racist, Uncle Tom, homophobic, sexist, et cetera. To this we often respond, if not succumb, so as not to be constantly fighting by trying to be tolerant and non-judgmental. That is, we censor ourselves. This is not civility, it is cowardice, or well-intentioned self-deception at best."

Wow. If thats not the quote, it's still a damned good one
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's from a speech Justice Thomas gave to the American Enterprise Institute in 2001.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's from a speech Justice Thomas gave to the American Enterprise Institute in 2001.

It's not, but it's going in the quote file.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember the thread but not the quote.( I know big help). What I remember is that it was in general discussion.Also the thread was religious in nature.Having to do with ones christian duty towards their fellow man. Hope this helps. I would be interested in reading it again if you find it. Hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top