Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2011 8:01:53 AM EDT
In case you missed it, a few days ago I had a thread on here helping me get rid of a virus I contracted from pictures of Britney Spears Snatch.  With the addition of Rkill, Malwarebytes, and a quick scan with avast, I got the virus to go away.  My Avast program was out of date so I downloaded Microsoft essential security, No Script, and uninstalled avast.  Ever since then my computer is running ridiculously slow.  There is always something running in the background causing even the smallest of things to run slow.  Just opening My Computer takes 30-45 seconds. I ran Rkill and Malwarebytes and came up with nothing. Sometimes while doing whatever on the computer, it will just freeze.  The firefox page Im looking at will disappear  to the desktop and then all the icons and start bar will disappear and I will be looking at my desktop background pic for a minute or so (all the while the computer is going crazy) and then it will all come back..slowly.

How do I find out what is unnecessarily running in the background and stop it.  It is driving me crazy.  

Mike
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Which ever anti virus program you installed is doing a scan in the background.
You need to dig around in the settings for it and see if it can be turned off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#2]

My automatic backup software slows the thing to a crawl when it is backing up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#3]
YOU GOT THE AIDS! No cure.

How full is your C-Drive? Check and dump unnecessary programs. Check to see if any new programs appeared in your c-drive or on your desk top. I had one of those e-bombs once and had to replace my computer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#4]
When your computer is running slow hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and start task manager, click on processes then click on the cpu column to sort by cpu usage, whatever is at the top of that list (with the highest number under cpu) is what is slowing your computer down.

If the program name isn't obvious post the program name here and people will be able to tell you what it is.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Britney Spear's Snatch Virus.

Kill it with fire.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#6]
How much RAM do you have?  A lot of people complain about slowness with Microsoft Security Essentials due to it's high memory usage.  When was the last time you defraged your hard disks?
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I poked around in the settings for Microsoft Security Essentials and there wasnt anything to indicate that it was running a check in the background.  I turned of No Script and the computer is running 100 times faster. As soon as I disabled it, the computer stopped working so hard and I can actually do things on it again without waiting several minutes.  I was excited about No Script but why would it make my machine run so bad?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top