Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 3:34:50 PM EDT
Someone just called me about a job interview.  Assuming they don't call and cancel, Wednesday will be my second job interview since April 2001.

Un-f*cking-believable.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
recession?  naaaaaaa.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Someone just called me about a job interview.  Assuming they don't call and cancel, Wednesday will be my second job interview since April 2001.

Un-f*cking-believable.
View Quote

I had one each Thursday, Friday and today in Detroit. The part that sucks the most is they are multi part interviews and I currently live in TN.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Un-f*cking-believable.
View Quote

JC what line of work are you in ?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I was outta work for 2 months.  
Took a 20K base pay cut just to get back in the game.  Now I'm going to be traveling a bunch. That sux.  The upside looks pretty good financially.
I was a telecom engineer.  Now I am selling telemetry services.
Keep your chin up.   Something paletable will come along.  It goes without saying, your  job is finding a job.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess this is a place that I could mention I know of an office that is hiring in New Mexico for sales people in real estate.

Worth looking into if you live in Albquerque or close to it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on the interview call! [bounce]

Good luck mon!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had no interviews in 8 months. I saw a thing on the news about new college grad job interviews becoming very scarce. No one is hiring, everyone is firing, oh excuse me- downsizing.

Thank you FDCGHs, the economy couldn't have done it without you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I consider my self very lucky, I have a job where I will never get laid off and there is no such thing as slow time due to the economy. I work in a childrens hospital as Respiratory Therapist. The money is not the greatest but I keep food in the fridge and I pay my bills and I really dont have a hard time buying ammo, and thats the important thing. I could not imagine what it would be like to out of a job. Hang in there guys.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, they didn't cancel -- thanks for the good-luck wishes, looks like they helped.  Four hours of grilling went ok;  now I just have to wait until they're done interviewing the other 20 candidates for the one position. . . .

Phil, I am a software engineer.  Or perhaps that should be past tense, or at least subjunctive.

A headhunter I trust says that software hiring really is picking up again around Seattle.  There may be hope.  [red]Imbro and Ilikelegs[/red], maybe try sending your resumes to a few places up here, especially if you're Microsoft C++ types.  (UNIX/C++ types have very limited demand in Microsoft's front yard, unfortunately.)

Good luck to you folks too!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have had no interviews in 8 months. I saw a thing on the news about new college grad job interviews becoming very scarce. No one is hiring, everyone is firing, oh excuse me- downsizing.

Thank you FDCGHs, the economy couldn't have done it without you.
View Quote

The PC term for downsizing is--rightsizing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#12]
It's "rightsizing" when you end up still having a job.  When you're unemployed, the term is "economic depression".

Finally heard back today (ok, it's after midnight, so "yesterday").

They had a meeting and were told that due to budgetary concerns, they aren't hiring anyone, and are going to do a "reorg" (read:  laying off).  Not only did I not get the job, nobody else did either.  I called the techie who interviewed me just to check, and he joked that he'd be sending me his resume when he got home.

So, I guess the [s]depression[/s]recession isn't over after all.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:48:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been on a couple of interviews in the month since I moved back to my home town. (I work in systems administration).  So that is encouraging.  At least I'm getting some phone calls returned again, for a while I was sending out resumes to every compatible job available in Chicagoland (Which was a pathetically small amount with the economy) and I don't think I got a single return call.  No wait, I did get one, two months after I sent in my resume and had already moved.

So, things seem to picking up a little, I hope it picks up a whole lot more.  Three of four years ago I could spend a week looking followed by almost a solid week of interviews.  I wish it was still like that.

Mike

Top Top