Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 11:06:51 AM EDT
Hi folks;
I would appriciate your advice:

I am renovating my house and want to remove the old paint (3-5 layers) from my old porch railing (iron) - it has a lot od metal flowers in it and is quiet complicated arranged - I don't  want to take it off and bring it to a sanblasting place - that would be my last choice - I started sanding it with a grinder (wirebruch)_ but I can't get to much into the details of the molding - any smart ideas - thanks for your help
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#1]
You could try some sprayable paint stripper on the detail areas, and work it in with a small (toothbrush-size) wire brush.  

Kleen-Strip makes a sprayable stripper that I've used in the past.  It's pretty nasty stuff, so make sure you're wearing safety glasses and thick rubber (dishwashing-type) gloves.  Also, wear a long sleeve shirt and jeans.  This stuff will start to burn your skin instantly.  Keep a bucket of fresh water handy to wash off any splatter that gets on you.  

Good luck and be careful.

P.S.  If it were me, I'd remove the railing and take it to a professional stripping company and let them do the nasty work.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Heat gun then peel away [pyro]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
chemical stripper is the way to go here. get the thick stuff that will cling to vertical surfaces. sharpen a couple wooden dowles to use in the deeply recessed areas. put something underneath the railing so the stuff doest drip and stain any visable surfaces.

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Sand blast it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sand blast it.
View Quote

I second that!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
chemical stripper sucked - to many layers
Heat gun didn't work - iron railing  not hot enough

The only thing sofar wire brush - nasty job - so I am gonna take the railing off and get it sand blasted - Thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:57:27 AM EDT
[#7]
You might find someone that has the capability to come to your house and sandblast the railing in place. It would help if you could drape the area to keep the dust down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top