Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2011 10:52:48 AM EDT
I am looking to upgrade from the laptop at work. I want to be able to plug them into the laptop and work off of a nice screen instead of this little crappy one. Any advantage/disadvantage about having dual smaller monitors instead of one 24" or so? I am open to any ideas thay you have, throw them out here

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Duals, if your laptop will support them.  If not, you can use your laptop screen as one and get a 55" for the other.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]
At work I use a single 24" instead of 2 19" ers.   Make sure the docking station / port replicator you use has 2 video dvi outputs.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I have duals at work.  It let's you have when your working on open on one side (in my case Solidworks), and have the otherside to do everything else without having to close your work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#4]
At work I use a 24" 1920x1200 and two 19" 1600x1200, along with my 15" 1680x1050 laptop screen.

I find that the physical separation between the monitors helps me mentally separate tasks/workflows, and I like having at least one large monitor to work on docs side-by-side or blow up Visio diagrams and such.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I mostly use duals - have used 3 on occasion.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Duals/Trips are superior to 1 large monitor in everyway.

I use 2x22" at work and 2x24" at home...I have considered having a main 36" with the 24s on the sides...tempting
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Dell D630 latitude (yea I know it is getting a little old now) and I bought it with the better video and I run it with Desktop spanning and my second monitor is a 24-inch. I could not imagine not having both displays!

You need a laptop with a pretty good video card to do this however if you want to have a high resolution and refresh value on the bigger monitor!

At home I have a pair of PCI video cards in my desktop machine.  I run three 20 to 24-inch monitors on that setup (I used to do software development).  Depends on what you need to do but some tasks really are much easier when you can have everything in front of you when you need it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Much prefer duals. It's really good if you are doing something that requires a scripting environment in addition to a graphic one. You can split the monitors by function.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#9]
DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!

I would just like to warn you that once you have more than one screen to play with (or an extremely large resolution single screen), you will hate having to go back!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm happy with dual 19" LCD's for work, my home pc is a single monitor.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#11]
ok, so I am sold on duals. what would you get and where? also, how do I know if my laptop will run them with out freaking out?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Just have 3x 55" monitors or larger! Problem solved...
Although you might have to lose the laptop and get a desktop.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ok, so I am sold on duals. what would you get and where? also, how do I know if my laptop will run them with out freaking out?

Take your laptop with you when you go shopping! Try seeing if it will do desktop spanning (or duel view).  With monitors, you get what you pay for. My 24-inch is a Dell and it was money I am glad I spent but I spend all day in front of this machine.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Dual 24"'s here.

It's more flexible, cheaper, and the workflow is, IMHO, better (I can maximize to one screen)
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Single for Gaming and Dual for working.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got a 24" monitor, paired with a 50" display...

It's hard to go back to a single monitor...

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I use dual 22" wide screens at work. At my last job I had 3 24" monitors. Multiple screens are superior in every way to one large monitor. One desktop rig I saw that was very nice was a single 32 inch in the center flank by 2 20" wide screens in portrait orientation. If you sift through or write a lot of code for web design that is the perfect config, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

same here. Settled on 2 ea on 2 CPU's.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Why would you want to deal with the bezels on those monitors?

That would drive me nuts.

When frameless panels come out, then it would be badass

ETA:  for my ignorant ass, how can I run a larger monitor off my laptop at work?  Id like to use an external keyboard, and be able to close the lid on the laptop to only see the larger monitor.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#21]
i use duals for pretty much all my projects.  14" laptop for the composition/spreadsheet, and a 22" for research display.  as another poster mentioned, the seperate monitors have a very beneficial effect on organization and workflow.   22" is a big enough work area to manage your resources effectively––i normally have a tabbed browser with PDFs and another with to-be-embedded images and graphs showing simultaneously, with an outline and other stuff in the background.

most importantly, my composition is always displayed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#22]

That is pretty cool.  I agree with the comment below the video that there is a market for borderless screens.  The gaps between mine bug me sometimes but a setup like that really make the issue obvious! I honestly would like that setup - only I would be happy with 4-monitors!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#23]
How about a big giant curved monitor?

http://gizmodo.com/341413/alienware-curved-monitor-looks-like-its-from-another-planet

2880x900 resolution

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Speed
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Duals is the way to go.  I work IT support remote a lot, and am constantly pinged on instant message.  I just scoot those over to the other monitor and they don't keep busting what I'm trying to work on.  Otherwise,  they take over the foreground and interrupt what I'm working on.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Duals

I run Duals at work and at home

Once you run them you will never want to go back
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#26]
It boils down to this, assuming you have a choice between a single large monitor or 2 small ones:

Are you actually working on it?  Are you looking to be able to monitor some type of work specific application and browse at the same time?  If so you want dual monitors to keep them seperated.

If you work on things as they come it, but use the computer to browse or watch movies in the off time I would get the 24.

I'm in IT so I can be working on 2 or 3 things at once, talk to other engineers via jabber/chat, keep an eye on email, use an internal ticketing system, and run 5-10 tabs on a browser at the same time. They give us 2 20s, but I actually shelled out for a USB video adapter and brought in an additional 24.... I still find myself running out of space sometimes!  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That is pretty cool.  I agree with the comment below the video that there is a market for borderless screens.  The gaps between mine bug me sometimes but a setup like that really make the issue obvious! I honestly would like that setup - only I would be happy with 4-monitors!

Could take the monitors out of the housing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It boils down to this, assuming you have a choice between a single large monitor or 2 small ones:
Are you actually working on it?  Are you looking to be able to monitor some type of work specific application and browse at the same time?  If so you want dual monitors to keep them seperated.

If you work on things as they come it, but use the computer to browse or watch movies in the off time I would get the 24.

I'm in IT so I can be working on 2 or 3 things at once, talk to other engineers via jabber/chat, keep an eye on email, use an internal ticketing system, and run 5-10 tabs on a browser at the same time. They give us 2 20s, but I actually shelled out for a USB video adapter and brought in an additional 24.... I still find myself running out of space sometimes!  

I remember those days!

The new place issues 24".  

I say, get both, more and BIGGER.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top