Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 6:04:43 AM EDT

A client has approached me to install a video security system in thier shop.  They want it to be accessible over the internet, where they would like to be able to see what's going on from things like the iPhone.  Recording when movement occurs or sounds are 'heard' is of interest.  Seems like there's lots of crap out there, and 'pro' systems are too expensive / high end...  Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag.  Been planning on this for a while.  There is a thread around with good cam info, but I don't recall anything about software.  

I would be particularly interested in a PC based system with components that you can build up on your own, rather than an expensive packaged solution.  

Hopefully both types will be discussed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:35:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have installed a few. Night Owl systems from tiger direct work just fine. They are motion activated. Night vision and have 500GB drives. I use 16 cam systems at a few locations and will be putting in three more in a few weeks
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Your customer will need a static IP address for internet and two ports opened on the router/modem.

After that you type in the static IP, install the Active X programs, and log in with a password. You can even hook up mics and get audio too.

EDIT: You can even view the cams from a smart phone or any PC with internet access.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:39:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:48:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your customer will need a static IP address for internet and two ports opened on the router/modem.

After that you type in the static IP, install the Active X programs, and log in with a password. You can even hook up mics and get audio too.

EDIT: You can even view the cams from a smart phone or any PC with internet access.

most decent ones have DDNS or can be set up for dyndns.org service.    no real need to pay for a static IP
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The main camera thread is in the survival forum.  Block out some time... it's almost 50 pages.

At the gym... can't link it from here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

ETA:  Link.  There's a review of the Night Owl system on page 36, courtesy of Speargun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

most decent ones have DDNS or can be set up for dyndns.org service.    no real need to pay for a static IP

Correct. These will work that way as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top