BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 11:40:17 AM EDT
Light Weight Barrel Assembly - chrome lined

Light Weight Composite Lower Assembly

Flip up rear sight

Red dot optic

The young lady is a little on the petite side and needs to build some more upper body strength. So keeping things light is a higher priority than being able to have the rifle survive being run over by a truck. I also thought it would make a decent plinker for the younger ones with a 22 conversion kit as well.

The rifle without a red dot should be less than 700 or less than 850 with it, not including shipping costs.  

Any opinions?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Does she enjoy shooting?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does she enjoy shooting?

Yeah. She is a pretty good shot too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does she enjoy shooting?

Yeah. She is a pretty good shot too.

Nice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Go go budsgunshop.com

Order the basic Double Star M4

Buy optic

Go shoot and you should be in for less than $700.00
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Tag.  That lower looks interesting and is a pretty good price!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Plum Crazy lowers are not a good idea IMHO. There was a thread on here with a pic of the threaded buffer tube area split. Maybe for a dedicated .22 it would be okay.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#8]
For an optic, check out the Vortex Strikefire. Great inexpensive red dot scope, and bend-over-backwards customer service folks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go go budsgunshop.com

Order the basic Double Star M4

Buy optic

Go shoot and you should be in for less than $700.00

Thanks! That looks nice but I still have to pay the local gun shop 50 bucks for the transfer fee. I included that cost in the original post pricing and weight is still an issue.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Plum Crazy lowers are not a good idea IMHO. There was a thread on here with a pic of the threaded buffer tube area split. Maybe for a dedicated .22 it would be okay.

Any chance you have a link? I can only search back 30 days.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#11]
i also need to get a light weight 16'' barrel, my 8 year old daughter shoots fine from the bench and hip, but the light weight barrel is needed
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Steer her in the right direction, but make sure she picks it out.

If she's not interested, then let it go.  If she is interested, she'll want to have input.  If it's going to be her rifle, let it be *her* rifle, you know what I mean?

If it's just an excuse for building another rifle, then just build what you want and let her shoot it.  She's not going to have to carry it but to and from the range, so don't worry about the weight if it's really for you.  And if you really want a lightweight rifle, then go for it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

could not find it for this thread...

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Steer her in the right direction, but make sure she picks it out.

If she's not interested, then let it go.  If she is interested, she'll want to have input.  If it's going to be her rifle, let it be *her* rifle, you know what I mean?

If it's just an excuse for building another rifle, then just build what you want and let her shoot it.  She's not going to have to carry it but to and from the range, so don't worry about the weight if it's really for you.  And if you really want a lightweight rifle, then go for it.

Been talking with her about it off and on. Right now she only cares about it being the same color all over, so she has decided on black. Other than that she has not expressed a lot of opinions, but she does smile real big when we talk about it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Palmetto State Armory has lowers and lower Parts kits for a reasonable price ad the Del Ton lightweight barrel upper looks good. Add a Primary arms sight and you would come in well under $700.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Try Essential Arms.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#17]
You're making me think that Del-ton 16" upper assembly would be a nice way to finish off my AR build.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You're making me think that Del-ton 16" upper assembly would be a nice way to finish off my AR build.

I have yet to hear anything bad about them.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I understand the desire for the lightweight lower receiver, but the difference between the aluminum and composite lowers couldn't be more than a few ounces given the light weight of an aluminum lower anyway.  That being the case, I'd just go with an aluminum lower.  As someone already mentioned, Palmetto has nice prices on their lowers and parts kits.  For the cost of just a few ounces more, I'd definitely go that route.  I've used Essential Arms, Bushmaster, Stag, Cavalry Arms, and Spikes, and all of them so far have had a nice ft and finish.

As to a lightweight upper, I *think* Bushmaster's 16" super-light barrel is the lightest one out there, but don't quote me on it.  (bushmaster part number A BBL-16SLA) .  That's what I used when I built a rifle for my oldest son.  He took a deer with it last year and he also used it at an appleseed shoot this past May.  He's 9 now, btw.  Without the scope on it it's a darn light rifle and when I swap out the aluminum lower for the Cav-Arms lower I have on it, it really doesn't change the weight all that much... maybe a few ounces, but not more than that.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quote from one review

In other words, the C15 assembly is about 7.5 ounces lighter than a standard lower assembly.

Seems like almost a half pound would be helpful. She can shoot my AR fairly well kneeling but has to rest between shots off hand.

I have found complete lower assemblies for around 165 so the extra 35 bucks is not a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here toy go... http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=524131

Personally, if I wanted a plastic lower, I'd find a CavArms lower. They are great for ultra-light builds(I have a 16" pencil barrel and a Spikes 22LR built on my CavAid lowers). Yes, I know about the legal mess. There are still some floating around out there, I need to get another one myself.

But most of the time, I would say just go with the standard aluminum lower.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#22]
A friend built his daughter a .22 AR, painted it pink w/ a purple sling. She's 12 y/o and after origianally laughing my ass off at the idea, i've since been corrected. She absolutely LOVES the thing! It's her favorite posession, and while most of her belongings are scattered, her rifle is maintained better than anyone's i know(including mine), and she goes to the range with us every month and practices in the yard almost everyday. I suggested an old Winchester .22 pump. I stand corrected!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For an optic, check out the Vortex Strikefire. Great inexpensive red dot scope, and bend-over-backwards customer service folks.

Ding ding ding!  Vortex is my favorite scope maker for all these reasons.

Also, I priced out how much a cheap AR would cost to build...right around $600 if you go with a kit from DelTon.  Similar price if you get the pieces from DSA.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here toy go... http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=524131

Personally, if I wanted a plastic lower, I'd find a CavArms lower. They are great for ultra-light builds(I have a 16" pencil barrel and a Spikes 22LR built on my CavAid lowers). Yes, I know about the legal mess. There are still some floating around out there, I need to get another one myself.

But most of the time, I would say just go with the standard aluminum lower.

That thread seems to indicate the problem was NOT with the lower.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, I priced out how much a cheap AR would cost to build...right around $600 if you go with a kit from DelTon.  Similar price if you get the pieces from DSA.

Actual cost of the complete rifle was less than 600 but I had to add the FFL fee of 50 into the mix making it 620. This included an upgraded barrel to chrome lined which was 45. Nixing the FFL fee, chromed barrel and still adding the rear sight things fall in around 580.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#26]
My son bought a couple Plum Crazy complete lowers when they had their $99 special awhile back.  He likes them.  I think he had $426 into a compelte carbine using a mix of new & used parts. I tried one, the trigger was suprisingly good.

I'll probably get a couple if they offer up another sale.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#27]
One son has a birthday in February, the other in March.

I am seriously considering getting them AR stripped lowers for their birthdays.  

Then, they can add parts as they get the funds.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Those stripped lowers as present is a nice idea. Saw a three pack of Aero Precision lowers for 210 I think.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actual cost of the complete rifle was less than 600 but I had to add the FFL fee of 50 into the mix making it 620. This included an upgraded barrel to chrome lined which was 45. Nixing the FFL fee, chromed barrel and still adding the rear sight things fall in around 580.

WTF!!!??!?!?!?!

that's crazy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Agreed a FFL fee of 50 pisses me off but he said each additional transfer on the same order was 10. I thought 35 was reasonable but it's not my shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top