Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2011 1:49:33 PM EDT
Have you ever heard of a documented case (news story, police report, etc.) of a burglar or home invader being frightened off by the sound
of a racking shotgun?

I know it's a common selling point and often said but has it really happened?

Personally I doubt few is any would be because I have heard 911 calls where the home owner was shouting they had a gun and
the invader kept trying to get in anyway and ended up shot.  

Deros
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Oh shit.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
This should be fun
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#3]
So fuckin in
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
last time i racked my shot gun i left the house.so yeah it works
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
No, a crack or a meth head doesn't even know what that is. The average inner city thug has not even heard a shot gun "racked" before.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't doubt that it has happened, but I wouldn't want to rely on it. That sound also gives away the defender's position.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Low post count? check.
this should be fun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
IBTSS
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Never heard of any documentation. A wise person starts paying attention when they hear the racking of a shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, instead of spending money on a shotgun and shells, just play a recording of a shot gun being racked real loud and let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#11]
My cousin did it when 2 thugs were breaking into his house, it seems to have worked for him.

Most crackheads are willing to do whatever it takes.........so i wouldn't rely on a sound to take care of them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't doubt that it has happened, but I wouldn't want to rely on it. That sound also gives away the defender's position.

this is how i feel. I saw a cop on TV explain that he has had suspects surrender because of that noise however i dont know how much BS that is.

Edit: I did have a unwelcome guest that i scared off by doing that... He was not breaking in he was just knocking on my door at 7 Am on a saterday. I was just pissed he was there so early. Scared off meaning he backed away from the door and yelled at me that it was him.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Yea, I have done it. Fuckers ran cause they knew some birdshot was now up the pipe and shit was about to get real up in his muthafucka.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Troof ! !  
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#15]
My personal experience. Another officer had a stolen car stopped. He had his Glock on them with their hands kind of half-heartedly stuck out the windows. I got there and chambered a round in my 870. Hands flew out every window as far as their arms would reach.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Real. And I speak from actual experience.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, I know the sound works pretty good at getting inmates to hit the deck, in a home defense situation with drugged up thugs I would rather not announce my position until I am ready to pull the trigger, otherwise you're just throwing up a  'shoot in this direction' sign IMO.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#18]
The next question is .......... will you be ready when you hear the same sound in return ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yea, I have done it. Fuckers ran cause they knew some birdshot was now up the pipe and shit was about to get real up in his muthafucka.

Can you provide details?  

Kids running across you lawn at 1030pm
Or
Crackhead trying to steal you TV for a fix
Or
Determined home invader trying to get your stash of whatever you were growing in your basement.

Deros
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Same category as warning shots, shooting into the air to scare someone off, or shooting to wound instead of kill.  Bullshit gleaned from Hollywood.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

last time i racked my shot gun i left the house.so yeah it works
I lost.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#22]
If you rack a shotgun and there's no one around to get scared, does it even make a sound?

I love these philosophical conundrums.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Idk, my shotgun stays loaded.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#24]
You know what's even scarier?  Standing next to your home invader buddy when he gets shot in the face.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Question is, if you have a shell in the tube as you should have, why are you racking it? And if you don't have a shell in the tube, why not?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you rack a shotgun and there's no one around to get scared, does it even make a sound?

I love these philosophical conundrums.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Worked great for me.  I heard the doorbell ring at 0200.  I went to check on it with my 870.  I heard the person(s) out there wiggling the door knob.  I yelled that I had reduced recoil 3.5" magnum birdshot loads ready to rock.  Then I one hand worked the action, using the weight of the gun to provide momentum, and got ready for shit to get real.  Next I gave a Currahee yell and threw open the door but they were already gone.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#28]
215lbs of angry dogs at the door works just fine for me. If he they get past my dogs, I am certainly not giving up my position.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well, instead of spending money on a shotgun and shells, just play a recording of a shot gun being racked real loud and let us know how it turns out.

I'm pretty sure somewhere I saw a retarded liberal "racking device". It was literally a device that was supposed to sound like a shotgun being racked and is supposed to scare off home invaders by making them think they had a gun. These idiots see a gun in the home as just too damn dangerous... I would lol if one of those libtards racked those plastic pos' and a rapist laughed in their face and raped them anyways...
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Ya gotta admit , if you're a slag , inside a dark building , intent on doing crime , trying to be as quiet as possible .  .  .  .  .  .  and out of nowhere the silence is shattered by someone pumping a shell into battery .  .  .  . your balloon knot is gonna pucker.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Never heard of any documentation. A wise person starts paying attention when they hear the racking of a shotgun.

wise ppl usualy dont invade homes :P

oh and in on 1
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you provide details?  

Or
Or
Determined home invader trying to get your stash of whatever you were growing in your basement.

Deros

Uh, sorry dude. You are kinda new here so I will tell you that 99% of the time I am full of shit. In other words, I was just joking
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#34]
When I rack my shotgun, I scare myself. Does that count?

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you provide details?  

Or
Or

Deros

Uh, sorry dude. You are kinda new here so I will tell you that 99% of the time I am full of shit. In other words, I was just joking

Yeah, my first thought on reading that was that "I wonder if his avatar applies here?"

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you provide details?  

Or
Or

Deros

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#38]
It worked once for one of my close friends.  That said, you better be able to back up the bark with some bite.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#39]
why the fuck would you not have the shotgun ready to fire.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#40]
It's got to be based on some real life occurrences.  I think it would work better than some on arfcom give it credit for but, you have to have the mindset that if they don't run, you're going to have to kill someone.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Only one way to know for sure. Old_Painless needs to go round up some hood rats and do some tests. In for the AAR.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#42]
What if you cycle a Saiga-12, will it have the same effect?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I've cleared a couple street corners with the "rack" of a shotgun before.
However, my intention was not to scare people off (though I was going to clear that corner), my intention was to put a round in chamber before we went into the bar after the man with a gun
So, while you should be aware that racking the action of a shotgun can work to de-escalate a situation, it shouldn't be depended upon to do so.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No, a crack or a meth head doesn't even know what that is. The average inner city thug has not even heard a shot gun "racked" before.

Yes, they have.
Many of them have also seen what a shotgun can do to someone.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#45]
...I can't speak for all, but I am.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've cleared a couple street corners with the "rack" of a shotgun before.
However, my intention was not to scare people off, my intention was to put a round in chamber before we went into the bar after the man with a gun.
So, while you should be aware that racking the action of a shotgun can work to de-escalate a situation, it shouldn't be depended upon to do so.

There it is: Wisdom.

My wife and I were in a Wal Mart once, and I was showing her the junior sized shotguns.

She points it down an empty aisle, and racks it, at the same time, A mom, and her two teenage kids walked up around the corner.

The two kids bit the dust- Mom was busy ducking and covering,

They weren't "downrange" they were just in the vicinity.

It impressed me.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#47]
only if the home invaders pose as police
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Is Chuck Norris scared of a racking shotgun?

If you recorded the racking of shotguns long enough, you could play it over the PA during the next wars and riots and they would be over PDQ.

If you rack shotguns in the summertime, all the illegals in the Landscape trade deport themselves.

If you have trouble shitting and have been bound up for days, rack a shotgun. Make sure your pants are down first and ass over the shitter second.

When aliens landed near Area 51, someone racked a shotgun, most hauled ass back into space, the closest alien shit itself and dropped dead, that's how we got him.

The racking of shotguns are so scary and dangerous, top scientist and proctoligists are working together to make a shotgun racking suppressor.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#49]
It has happened before in real life, it might scare off intruders.

But why risk your life with something that might work?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they have.
Many of them have also seen what a shotgun can do to someone.

The one on my doorstep sure knew what that sound meant.
And he never saw the gun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top