Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2011 7:35:32 AM EDT
I kept finding baggies with the words xanex written on them and various bottles of meds with their labels torn off (my sister has been on and off pain meds) at her place. Then when I talk to my mom, who is also helping out, she admits that she has been crazy and unable to make decisions because she has been on so many meds. So mom admits she has a problem with meds and is trying to get off and my sister has tons of pills... much of which I think my mom was supplying to my sister... great. To make things worse my sister is moving in with my mom. Nope, I don't foresee any potential problems.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics of sister/mom?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Recipe for disaster. Try to get them help before it gets reeeaallly bad.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I kept finding baggies with the words xanex written on them and various bottles of meds with their labels torn off (my sister has been on and off pain meds) at her place. Then when I talk to my mom, who is also helping out, she admits that she has been crazy and unable to make decisions because she has been on so many meds. So mom admits she has a problem with meds and is trying to get off and my sister has tons of pills... much of which I think my mom was supplying to my sister... great. To make things worse my sister is moving in with my mom. Nope, I don't foresee any potential problems.

OP, I feel your pain...
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Eject from that situation!   If mom is enabling that shit, then it will just turn into a disaster.   She needs help.  Get her some, or eject...
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Dump everything you find into the toilet
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Is time for intervention,,,,
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Sometimes I think it's best to confront things on a personal basis before posting shit on the internet, but that's just me, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's a really bad idea.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And you've inserted yourself into this situation because . . . ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Eject from that situation!   If mom is enabling that shit, then it will just turn into a disaster.   She needs help.  Get her some, or eject...

The thing is, and this is from personal experience, you can't "get" her help if she's not ready and willing to seek it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Xanax is not a pain med. Its an anti anxiety tranq that is regularly used recreationally.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#13]
your sister should hook up with tominjax's brother
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess I got lucky helping my sister move once.  I found bags and boxes and piles and armloads of shoes.  Not fancy stuff like Imelda Marcos, just ordinary Wal-Mart and Sears type shoes.  I asked her WTF and she could only grin and shrug.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is.  Opiate withdrawl is excrutiating, but benzodiazapine withdrawl (such as Xanax, klonopin, valium, etc) can be dangerous and even lethal if not properly overseen by a doctor.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Awesome.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is.  Opiate withdrawl is excrutiating, but benzodiazapine withdrawl (such as Xanax, klonopin, valium, etc) can be dangerous and even lethal if not properly overseen by a doctor.

Guess that shows where my brain is. I was only thinking about how the drugs annihilate the bacterium in the water treatment facility and royally screw it all up.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Is it legally prescribed??
If it is i don't see a problem.
You made it sound like you found bags of weed or something.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry to hear about your sister.  I hope she can get help.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#20]
It will get really bad if you don't stop it.

One of the most important persons in my life nearly died from OD'ing on shit like that. Had her stomach pumped.

Eta: as somebody mentioned, she can't get help unless she wants help.

Get her this book: http://www.amazon.com/Womans-Way-Through-Twelve-Steps/dp/0894869930/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296320677&sr=8-1

Quoted:

Prescription meds are typically strokes ahead of weed when it comes to damage potential.   Weed will net you some weight gain, laziness and memory loss. Xannies will fuck you up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bags of weed would be far less dangerous than Xanax abuse. Particularly if combined with other depressants.

Combining benzos and alcohol equals death.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#22]
methinks your fingerprints on that could be bad
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry man. Xanax is bad stuff. It should be taken off the market.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Stop helping her move.  She can afford movers if she can afford drugs.  Go camping, hiking or shooting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Perhaps you should not post stuff like this on a board where members of LE regularly post/read?

Get them help and leave the State/Man..........i.e..............cops or any state employee out of it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#26]
No where in the thread is it mentioned that this is an ongoing issue, or that he's been putting up with family bullshit.  Maybe he's helping her move and is concerned because it's his family?

Instead of asking for pics or advising that he should bail on his family we should probably ask for more info. Or since it's G.D. I guess we could continue to race to be the first to get in the ever-clever EJECT pics...

OP, is it worth trying to help your sister out or is it a lost cause?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

No, it shouldn't.

People could maybe attempt to take the drug in the dose prescribed, and some personal responsibility, and no-one would ever be addicted to it.

You're blaming the drug because PEOPLE abuse it.

How many other things could we "ban" based on that same principle?

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

DID YOU READ THE ORIGINAL POST?!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it shouldn't.

People could maybe attempt to take the drug in the dose prescribed, and some personal responsibility, and no-one would ever be addicted to it.

Go to work in any restaurant if you want to see the end result of prolonged AS/SSRI/Etc use, even the legal prescribed kind.  They are more often than not more fucked up than the alcoholics or junkies.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it shouldn't.

Go to work in any restaurant if you want to see the end result of prolonged AS/SSRI/Etc use, even the legal prescribed kind.  They are more often than not more fucked up than the alcoholics or junkies.

And whose problem is that, exactly?  

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it shouldn't.

Nope, it should be taken off the market as the abuse potential outweighs the therapeutic potential. There are much better benzos. Xanax has too short a half-life to be used for anything other than as as anxiolytic for short procedures. It's a poor choice for long term anxiety relief, yet primary care providers continue to prescribe it in large quantities. In addition, the withdrawal causes generalized tonic clinic seizures (which can be deadly).
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

No where in the thread is it mentioned that this is an ongoing issue, or that he's been putting up with family bullshit.  Maybe he's helping her move and is concerned because it's his family?

Instead of asking for pics or advising that he should bail on his family we should probably ask for more info. Or since it's G.D. I guess we could continue to race to be the first to get in the ever-clever EJECT pics...

OP, is it worth trying to help your sister out or is it a lost cause?

My sister isn't as unstable as she used to be, but overall my mom and sister are pretty damn unstable and have been for YEARS. The best thing I ever did for my mental health was to stop giving a damn or at least keep them at arms length. I'm just sick of the never ending drama, mental breakdowns, and crisis situations over nothing.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Perhaps you should not post stuff like this on a board where members of LE regularly post/read?

Get them help and leave the State/Man..........i.e..............cops or any state employee out of it.

I am the man and I can tell you from first had experience that we don't arrest people who need help.  My wife overdosed two weeks ago and has been in two rehab units since.  The real criminals are the doctor's who prescribe many different drugs in high quantities.  There is also a problem that should be addressed known as "doctor shopping".  How in the blue fuck can a script with a DEA number on it not be red flagged by a pharmacy or insurance company.

Sorry for the rant OP.

Seek intervention and counseling.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#34]

nvm
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

SWM looking for love.

Hobbies include: long walks, movies, smoking crack and armed robbery

About me: I am single, no job, no car, no life, but we might be able to shack up at my Granny's house. I'm looking for my soul mate or at least someone who can send me some commissary money while I'm in prison.

I have included a pic, please send yours

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it shouldn't.

Nope, it should be taken off the market as the abuse potential outweighs the therapeutic potential. There are much better benzos. Xanax has too short a half-life to be used for anything other than as as anxiolytic for short procedures. It's a poor choice for long term anxiety relief, yet primary care providers continue to prescribe it in large quantities. In addition, the withdrawal causes generalized tonic clinic seizures (which can be deadly).

I can't argue if there are better alternatives to Xanax, because I don't know that.  If Xanax were taken off the market tomorrow people would just find something else to get high on....so do we take that off of the market too?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes....

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SWM looking for love.

About me: I am single, no job, no car, no life, but we might be able to shack up at my Granny's house. I'm looking for my soul mate or at least someone who can send me some commissary money while I'm in prison.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/genthumb.ashx?e=3&h=263&w=350&i=/assetpool/images/110128123941_012811_kangaroo3.jpg

good to see you have a sense of humor about it

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, having pills that aren't prescribed to you, buying someone else's meds from them or selling/giving them away are all felonies, I believe. And if you think pot is bad, well, benzo addiction is 10 times as bad-not only due to the legal risks, but like the docs above said, benzo withdrawals can kill you dead.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thing is, and this is from personal experience, you can't "get" her help if she's not ready and willing to seek it.

This is true, but I would definitely bring it up to her and let her know you are there to help when she decides to tackle the problem (if it is one, which sounds possible).  Horrible horrible addiction on those pills.  Xanax is a different type from painkillers.  It is in the valium family.  So, if she is taking those for pain, she is lying, which is common in people with these sorts of problems.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

SWM looking for love.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/genthumb.ashx?e=3&h=263&w=350&i=/assetpool/images/110128123941_012811_kangaroo3.jpg

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Even legally prescribed, xanax or painkillers are substantially more risky than weed.  The addiction to them is very very serious, as compared to non-existent (except in a person's head) with weed.
People often start off legally, become addicted, and go into the black market when they can't get a script anymore.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#42]
" The best thing I ever did for my mental health was to stop giving a damn or at least keep them at arms length. "

Good for you.  

Most of us have family members who you cannot help, who will never get better, and who will drain you.

(At this point someone will mention that he is a Christian and not give up.  To that person I respond as follows.  I once told a niece never to take a ride in her car with my youngest brother "X" because she would not come back alive.  She told me "don't worry, my father told me the same thing!")

As my mother once said, there are two kinds of problems in this world - the kind that you can do something about and the kind you cannot do anything about.  You focus on the first set of problems and let the others go.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sometimes I think it's best to confront things on a personal basis before posting shit on the internet, but that's just me, I guess.

THIS
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Stop helping her move.  She can afford movers if she can afford drugs.

AND THIS
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am the man and I can tell you from first had experience that we don't arrest people who need help.  My wife overdosed two weeks ago and has been in two rehab units since.  The real criminals are the doctor's who prescribe many different drugs in high quantities.  There is also a problem that should be addressed known as "doctor shopping".  How in the blue fuck can a script with a DEA number on it not be red flagged by a pharmacy or insurance company.

Sorry for the rant OP.

Seek intervention and counseling.

Doctor shopping is a huge problem. Unfortunately Prescription Monitoring Programs are just now coming online in many states. Arkansas has a bill in the legislature to form one, but it is in committee. Judging from the responses on the opiophiles message board, it's a real deterrent to doctor shopping.
Quack docs are another equally huge problem. I unfortunately have to pick up the pieces of patients the doctors have shattered.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it shouldn't.

I can't argue if there are better alternatives to Xanax, because I don't know that.  If Xanax were taken off the market tomorrow people would just find something else to get high on....so do we take that off of the market too?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes....

Very true. If it were banned, Xanax would still be abused. It would flow into the country from Mexico. However, doctors don't have to condone it and give the impression that it is "safe" because it is a prescription. Cocaine (still around as an eye drop), methamphetamine (Desoxyn), heroin all have therapeutic potential, but they aren't worth the risk of prescribing.
I'm no proponent of the war on drugs either. Just the proliferation through physicians.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Right there with you.

It's my opinion that only psychiatrists should be prescribing Xanax, and only for severe panic disorder... once you get people on the Xanax train, it's nearly impossible to get them off.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#48]
1. OP if you live with them, get your own place now.  From the sound of it, thats already sorted.

2. Confront them with the problem, no pleading, yelling or screaming, just see if they want any help. I don't like multi-person interventions myself, nor do I like the ultimatums they tend to impose, go as a concerned family member, not a member of the drug hit squad.

3a. If they want help, find a drug conselor or recovery center (I recommend The Healing Place if you're near one), and if they need medical detox, get that too.

3b. If they don't want help, you have two choices, involve law enforcement (not a good idea, they don't want to help, they want to file charges) or let it go and try again when they get worse off.

Remember this though... YOU CANNOT MAKE THEM CHANGE... It has to be their choice, but keep yourself as far from the situation as possible, and don't enable them or bail them out if they screw up, they gotta make it to step one.

1. we admitted that we are powerless over drugs/alcohol, and that our lives had become unmanageable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#49]
There's the potential for DV charges if you start interfering.

Based on what you said about them, it doesn't sound like it's worth the risk.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

If it's in a baggy and no perscription, that is a felony around here.

All that has to happen for the OP to be seriously screwed is to get pulled over, the cop finds the baggy in the sister's stuff and he is in for a cluster fuck, whether he gets out of it or not, it will cost him money and time.

Don't associate with crazys or losers, whether they're family or not. That's my rule.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top