Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2002 5:02:13 PM EDT
i'm building a shop and i'm going to put a toilet in it, i planned on using a 55gal plastic barrel as a septic tank, how much lateral line would i need on this, i've never done this before but i've heard of other people doing it
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Ummm....

I dont think it is too wise sir. Why skimp on the plumbing end if you are paying out for a new building? I dont believe you would be able to use TP in the toilet  for starters anyway. 55 gallons is not alot of storage space for sludge to fall out to the bottom and actually do the proper functions of a septic tank.

Your call, but as an industry pro, master plumber, I dont believe I would do it.

My .02 cents and ymmv as always.

Dram
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
For another alternative, check this thing out:
[url]www.saniflo.com/products/saniplus.htm[/url]

It uses a pump and grinder unit that will pump the sewage through a small pvc pipe to the nearest regular waste pipe. They claim it can be up to 12' below and 150' away from the sewar. Could save alot of $$$ over the cost of a regular waste line. I've been thinking of using one in a detached building on my property.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i'm building a shop and i'm going to put a toilet in it, i planned on using a 55gal plastic barrel as a septic tank, how much lateral line would i need on this, i've never done this before but i've heard of other people doing it
View Quote

Who do you plan on getting to empty it??

And just how much would you have to pay them??

Damn but what a nasty job....

I would opt for MadMatts idea!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#4]
i'm building a shop and i'm going to put a toilet in it, i planned on using a 55gal plastic barrel as a septic tank
View Quote

Bwahahahahaha

Only in Arkansas...........I hope

Biggame223

Out
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a friend that has a trailer park. He uses two 55 gallon drums in tandem with 2 100 ft field lines. There are 3 bedroom 2 bath trailers using this setup with no reported problems. The rule of thumb is 110 feet of field line for each bedroom. For a one bath shop you will probably be ok with one 100' field line. Save the $2000 bucks that a 1500 gallon septic system would set you back. Make sure that there is enough drop in the field line but not too much. I don't have that figure but I bet someone here does. Plenty of gravel under the field line and tarpaper over the pipe will help you too. Good luck.

If some inspector comes nosing around, your on your own.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#6]
You didn't say how big a shop you are building,and how many people are using it.

If just you then maybe a 55Gal drum would work,as the affluent line only controls the amount of liquid that flows out.

And with that being the only thought it wouldn't take much latteral lines as the liquids will be absorbed into the ground or evaporate.

Your problems will be the waste and toilet paper(if you choose to put it in) In there I would suggest a bigger receptical than 55Gal barrel.   I would suggest taking a dump in a 5Gal bucket for a week or so then xthat for your real needs,and not even rid-ex will help that .

Get a bigger tank!

Bob              [:D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#7]
i will be the only one using it, i would say 2 to 3 shits a week on average
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#8]
i just cant see getting a 1000 gal. tank for one shitter that will not be used every day
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
2-3 shits a week? id just go around back of the shop then.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Those self-cleaning cat pans work pretty good.  Why not put a couple of those in your shop? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#11]
helllooooooo ?

Peter Funt, you can come out now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top