Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2002 4:36:38 AM EDT
I know that I am over reacting and will calm down in a few days..

I know that I have posted about this sort of thing before......

BUT!!

At last Sundays Hockey game in New York....The Canadian Opera Singer was leaving the Arena in a Car hosting  Canadian and Toronto Maple leafs flags.  He was stopped by a GANG of Americans chanting USA USA USA....

They grabed his flags off his vehicles and BURNED THEM in front of him.

This after the recent Boooing of the Canadian Anthem at three recent sporting events.

At the last Toronto game some Canadians "tried" to get revenge by booing the Stars and stripes...but were quickly quieted down by the audience who while not singing did Clap to the beat........

WHY OH WHY DO YOU AMERICANS HAVE TO ACT LIKE THIS!!!!

All this happening while Canadians are fighting and dying in Afganistan on your side!

It just burns my ass!!!

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:39:22 AM EDT
[#1]
because some americans are idiots who care more about hockey than national security. please accept my apology on their behalf. i'll bet canada has idiots too?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#2]
HEY......It`s not everybody.......and I will be the first to agree with you.....there are too many a**holes.......on both sides.....Obviously..these jerks could care less about anything the canadians have done for "us"......so they don`t even deserve your anger.....I`ll bet some of their "favorite" performers/singers are canadians.....and they don`t even know it!.....they`re probably "anti`s" too...or as one of my kids says it "game slobs" at the least.....consider the source...........
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
because some americans are idiots who care more about hockey than national security. please accept my apology on their behalf. i'll bet canada has idiots too?
View Quote

Hell yes we have idiots!!

Remember we have had a Liberal Government for 8 years now!!!

However......this just takes the cake!

I know its not all of you.....In fact I would bet my last dollar ( even a Canadian dollar) that if an AR15.comer had been nearby he/she would have stepped up to the plate and acted...
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks....one day my wife and I would love to go for a visit..

My bother and his wife went there to celebrate their 25th anniversary...

They visited the WTC.....On Sept 9th!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:13:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, we have idiots, thankfully only a few. don't use them to judge the rest of us. I was in Montreal for the Formula 1 race the year the Montreal Canadians won the Stanley cup. St. Catherine Street looked like the night scene from Apocalypse Now, every country has there share of  "bad" fans.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:21:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Why?...

Simple, those are uneducated jerks.

Regardless of their actions, the majority of us Americans thank Canada for being our friend, neighbor and supporter.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, we have idiots, thankfully only a few. don't use them to judge the rest of us. I was in Montreal for the Formula 1 race the year the Montreal Canadians won the Stanley cup. St. Catherine Street looked like the night scene from Apocalypse Now, every country has there share of  "bad" fans.
View Quote

Ahhh

You are confusing Quebec with Canada...its an easy mistake....LOL
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Ahhh, but you see NYC it to NY, like Quebec is to Canada :)
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:39:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Jerks seem to come in all colors and nationalities...

What do you make of these discussions of Canadian anti-Americanism?  These articles suggest that many Canadians are really quite smug and self-satisfied in their negative attitudes toward their neighbor to the south...

[url]http://www.robertfulford.com/AntiAmericanism.html[/url]

[url]http://www.frontpagemag.com/columnists/glazov/2002/glazov02-28-02.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:41:53 AM EDT
[#12]
As much as I love to tease my Canadian friends about their Canadian-ness, I can think of no other country I'd rather have as a neighbor.

We Texans should be so lucky to have such a neighbor.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#13]
My apologies they were assholes and are the ones who cause trouble for anyone. Understand most New Yorkers will not treat anyone except their relatives like that. No ones flag should be torn or stepped on. Those who fight in Afghanistan have my thanks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I sincerely apologize for those fu@&in' NY'ers, especially those NY [b]ISLANDERS[/b](as in LONG ISLAND, where I'm proud to live!) fans who gave us a bad name. Just because we have truckloads of scumbags in NY does not mean we're all bad. There is no way in hell they should have disrespected your flag like that.

Edited to add: Congrats, the [b]better[/b] team won the series[beer]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey most Americans thank you for the Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive, and we forgive you (at least we try to) for Celine Dion.  And Moosehead rocks.  So overall, we are still your friends even though certain hockey fans are shitheads.  [beer]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Jerks seem to come in all colors and nationalities...

What do you make of these discussions of Canadian anti-Americanism?  These articles suggest that many Canadians are really quite smug and self-satisfied in their negative attitudes toward their neighbor to the south...

[url]http://www.robertfulford.com/AntiAmericanism.html[/url]

[url]http://www.frontpagemag.com/columnists/glazov/2002/glazov02-28-02.htm[/url]
View Quote

Oh being Anti American is a Canadian Staple....I am not kidding myself here.....

To my shame many Canadians like to hold themselves up as BETTER than the Americans....I think that it is a defensive measure to try and balance the awesome influence you have over our society.

That said.....

Its one thing to say nasty things about American or Canadians...

Its another to burn their flag.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#17]
It shouldn't surprise you- Americans love to burn their own flag, why should yours be any different?     [:D]

Seriously, sports brings out the hooligan in otherwise "normal" people, especially under the cover of darkness and when safe in large groups.  

When we stop being willing to fight and die for each other, then I'd really start to worry!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Stormbringer,

Hockey fans are about as civilized and couth as WWF fans, which is to say not at all.  Watch a WWF broadcast and you'll see what you're up against.  They're all pond scum in the gene pool.  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
At last Sundays Hockey game in New York....The Canadian Opera Singer was leaving the Arena in a Car hosting  Canadian and Toronto Maple leafs flags.  He was stopped by a GANG of Americans chanting USA USA USA....

View Quote

How about some links to the story.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#20]
First of all let me apologize for those few assholes and their moronic behavier.  I live here on  Long Island and used to consider myself a hockey fan but until the game wakes up and joins the other major sports and bans fighting I will remain largely uninterested.  The game as it stands now is just barely above the WWF in terms of integrity. It is this acceptance of fighting and goonery that encourages the assholes to behave like they did and it is an embarassment to all NY'ers.  Please note though that the average crowd at a playoff game is around 17,000 people and the few assholes and their idiotic actions do not in any way represent the compassionate feelings that the majority of us here have for our good neighbors to the north.  Believe me the overwhelming majority of us here on LI were more upset about this ridiculous lack of respect for the flag of our closest neighbor and ally than anyone.  Again please accept our apologies and do not think that this is representative of the true spirit of Long Islanders or NY'ers.

TIM
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Stormbringer,

Hockey fans are about as civilized and couth as WWF fans, which is to say not at all.  Watch a WWF broadcast and you'll see what you're up against.  They're all pond scum in the gene pool.  [;)]
View Quote

Ding!Ding!Ding!  We have a winner!  marvl, for recognizing the relationship to the WWF and equating people who act like that to pond scum in the gene pool.  What can we use as chlorine?  Education didn't seem to work.

Stormbringer, you have every right to be PO'd.  There is no excuse for burning someone's flag.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

How about some links to the story.
View Quote

Still waiting since I can't seem to find anything.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey, shit happens.

I'm not going to apologize, because frankly, I couldn't give a shit.  I'm very sure there are Canadians out there that would do the same thing in reverse because they are stupid assholes.

I don't really like the "you Americans" generalization.  300,000,000 people from very different backgrounds aren't going to behave in a predictable manner.  New Yorkers have been known to have more than their fair share of egocentric, disrespectful assholes anyway.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Damnyankees.[;D]

Yeah, it is all one word down here in Texas!

Stormbringer,  I'm sorry for the lack of respect displayed by those idiots.  Your nation is a great neighbor.  I just wish our neighbor to the South would take a few lessons from your great example
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Drunk morons.  I'd be embarrassed, except that those stupid jackoffs don't represent our country.

Your flag, anthem, and opera singer represent yours, and I am really sorry this ugly incident happened.  I'll be sure to be respectful if I'm ever in a similar situation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Its on the front page of todays National Post.....

By line Bruce Arthur...

Oh BTW the guy who's flags were burned was the singer of the Canadian Anthem.

I will try to find a link
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#27]
[url]nationalpost.com[/url]

May 2, 2002

New York mob torched anthem singer's Maple Leaf

Bruce Arthur
National Post
Days after being cheered as he sang the Canadian and American anthems before an NHL playoff game in Toronto, Robert Pomakov watched, horrified, as unruly New York hockey fans burned his Canadian flag in the parking lot of Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

Mr. Pomakov, an opera singer, saw both his Canadian and his Toronto Maple Leaf flags torn from his car and set on fire by a crowd chanting "U.S.A! U.S.A!" in the moments before Sunday's Game 6 between the Leafs and the New York Islanders.

"We lost four of our soldiers and they were basically defending these idiots," said an outraged Mr. Pomakov. "If patriotism is what drives these people and their ignorance, then I am ashamed to have our soldiers defending them."

Four Canadian soldiers were killed in Afghanistan on April 18 when a U.S. fighter plane mistakenly bombed them.

Mr. Pomakov, 21, is working on his masters of opera degree at the world-renowned Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, from where he drove to Long Island for Sunday's game at the Coliseum, which is named in honour of U.S. war veterans.

He and fellow Torontonian Patrick Magee, also 21, decked themselves in Team Canada and Leafs jerseys and attached one regular-size Canadian flag and one Maple Leafs flag to broomsticks on their rental car. After being heckled as they pulled into the parking lot before the game, they could only look on as both flags were set alight.

"I was just shocked," he said. "There's a line that needs to be drawn, and this was so far across. You can't believe that you're watching the Canadian flag burn.

"There wasn't much we could do. There were a lot more of them than there were of us."

Mr. Pomakov felt the Americans' treatment of the Canadian flag was disgraceful.

Mr. Pomakov said the flags incident has not soured him on life in the United States. Still, he was pleased to see Toronto's Game 7 win on Tuesday, which set up a second-round Battle of Ontario series with the Ottawa Senators that begins tonight in Toronto.

Whatever the feelings of Torontonians toward the seat of federal government, or of Ottawans toward the seat of national commerce, the anthem is quite unlikely to be booed during the series.

[email protected]

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

How about booing our anthem?
[url]http://www.nationalpost.com/search/story.html?f=/stories/20020425/27720.html&qs=Anthem[/url]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I am greatly saddened by such stupidity, and I know you have a right to be angry, but first you single out NYers in the title, then you ask why American's must act like this.  When Soccer fanatics riot and kill we don't say FU Brits.  Blame is cast where it belongs, to the no good POS soccer thugs, that go to every game and cause trouble.  As a Proud New Yorker and American I offended by you calling us "asshole."  The "assholes" are the POS hockey fanatics that probably had too much to drink and will inevitably be weened out of the gene pool.  I know you are steamed, and rightly so, but set your sights straight and don't just go full auto shooting from the hip.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

How about booing our anthem?
[url]http://www.nationalpost.com/search/story.html?f=/stories/20020425/27720.html&qs=Anthem[/url]
View Quote

If you look above I do note that some booing of the American anthem took place....

That is/was revenge for the THREE incidents that have taken place over the past two weeks where Americans did it.....so your side struck first so to speak..

It also lists Montreal...which is in Quebec....need I say more??  Its funny actually that they would booo.....since they say that they want to leave Canada some day....LOL
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#34]
sadly drunk sports fans are almost always idiots
I've seen plenty at Bills games, Americans and (a few) Canadians both
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Two wrongs don't make a right...

Doesn't matter what goes on in Canada, the fact is that what happened in NYC was deplorable.  

Sorry, dude, Canada's a cool place in my book.  Never seen any place more refreshing than PEI, and I think Toronto is one of the nicest cities I've every been to.

Keep a calm head and understand the mob mentality that tends to drive normally sane people nuts in sporting events doesn't mean they would act or feel the same way in other circumstances.  Just thank god it wasn't a soccer game, or the guy would have been crushed to death.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Unfortunate.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I have been watching the movie Canadian Bacon over and over getting tips for my planned invasion.  Once I get liquored up enough to actually do something, boy fancy pantsy Canadians better watch out![:D]

OH here is my French translation so I don't leave any of you bastages out

J'avais observé le lard canadien de film obtenir à plusieurs reprises des conseils pour ma invasion prévue. Une fois que j'obtiens liquored vers le haut d'asse'à réellement fais quelque chose, montre de Canadiens pantsy de fantaisie de garçon une meilleure dehors!

Just kidding !
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Do Canadians consider Quebec part of Canada? It's kind if like California claiming Baja California I suspect. Those f*ckers think they are part of France.

Are hockey fans now becoming the English soccer fans of the New World? Man, that would be distressing.

In any case, anyone who burns the Maple Leaf is an asshole, plain and simple, and I would hope any Canadian seeing it would kick some ass, regardless of the fact Americans are doing it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Same type of folks who try to burn Detroit to the ground every time they win a basketball championship.....morons.

embarrassing to say the least.....
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Well these guys were probably just drunks mad over a hockey game.

However,

They could be drunks mad about last Sundays edition of 60 Minutes...

A rather interesting look at how Canada controlls- or rather does NOT control immigration into their country. How they put terrorists up on welfare while they plot to blow up targets in the United States...

It seems that Canadian politicians would rather send her troops overseas to be killed, as a means of showing their "solidarity" with the US, rather than doing something constructive which could provoke the ire of a rather large-and largely anti-American- immigrant voting block in Canada.

Personally I would rather Canada keep her infantrymen home and take control of her borders and police the people within her borders properly.  We have no shortage of infantry of our own and Canadas token presence is allowing her to get off the hook PR wise for continuing to put the United States in danger of further terror attacks...
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#41]
DPeacher:
Damnyankees.
Yeah, it is all one word down here in Texas!  
View Quote

Not me, I get called plain ol' Yankee when I'm in Houston.
Until I said I might stay! [:D]

[eDiteD cuz cHicag0 kan't spell]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Good link, RikWriter.

Misplaced patriotism has become all the rage this spring as sports fans from Canada and the United States jeer each other's national anthem, sparking scorn on both sides of the border.

Another pre-game transgression took place at the Molson Centre in Montreal on Tuesday as many booed the U.S. anthem before the Canadiens played Game 3 against the Boston Bruins. The same night, fans on Long Island booed O Canada before the Toronto Maple Leafs lost to the New York Islanders.

"Slightly more than six months past the terrorist strikes in the United States, Canada's embrace for all things Americana obviously no longer holds, at least in sports-lovin', Bruin-fearin' Quebec," Kevin Paul Dupont, a columnist with The Boston Globe, wrote about the incident in Montreal.

"And to think, we let them rip off our red, white and blue when they needed the right colours to go with that CH crest."

George Gillett, a Colorado businessman who owns the Canadiens, downplayed the latest incident yesterday.

"To judge a community or a country on a single incident in the passion of an athletic event is not fair," he said. "I don't believe it's a general feeling and if you talked to the people who may have booed, I don't think it even reflects their feelings."

The incidents are the latest in a recent rash of unfriendly international welcomes.

All of it seemed to start -- this year, at least -- just before the Toronto Raptors opened their NBA playoffs in Detroit against the Pistons last Sunday when fans booed the Canadian song.

While the unrest in Detroit was probably a fallout from the Vancouver Canucks' two wins at Joe Louis Arena, it was viewed north of the border as an insult, particularly with the jeering coming days after four Canadian paratroopers were killed when an American pilot dropped a bomb on them in Afghanistan.

Booing the national anthem has become somewhat of a pastime before sporting events in the U.S. and Canada.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Same type of folks who try to burn Detroit to the ground every time they win a basketball championship.....morons.
View Quote

[i]Did you know,[/i]
If you go straight SOUTH of beautiful downtown Detroit, you'll end up in Canada...
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Stormbringer thank you for the link, and my apologies to your country.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well these guys were probably just drunks mad over a hockey game.

However,

They could be drunks mad about last Sundays edition of 60 Minutes...

A rather interesting look at how Canada controlls- or rather does NOT control immigration into their country. How they put terrorists up on welfare while they plot to blow up targets in the United States...

It seems that Canadian politicians would rather send her troops overseas to be killed, as a means of showing their "solidarity" with the US, rather than doing something constructive which could provoke the ire of a rather large-and largely anti-American- immigrant voting block in Canada.

Personally I would rather Canada keep her infantrymen home and take control of her borders and police the people within her borders properly.  We have no shortage of infantry of our own and Canadas token presence is allowing her to get off the hook PR wise for continuing to put the United States in danger of further terror attacks...
View Quote

Whats even more interesting Armd is that NONE of the 911 bombers were ever in Canada...they were all in the States...

They even got visas 6months later??  Very interesting indeed!!

It also interesting that thousands of people from the Mid east come to Canada FROM THE STATES to claim refugee status???  Hmmmmmm

Mind you our government are all assholes anyway and we need to clean things up big time....however you should worry about your own yard first.

That said....everytime I have crossed the border I have been searched and searched ....and I do not look like an Achmeed Hassan Ben Terrorist....
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#46]
every time I have crossed the border I have been searched and searched
View Quote
 I have to agree with that.  The Canadians were arrogant and mean at the border.  Granted it all got started because of a communications problem (my fault), but things went into the dumper real quick after that.

The lady at the crossing asked me and my buddy where we were from. WELL, I AM FROM MISSISSIPPI and said so.  After a few questions and such, the asked for my license.  I pulled out my Texas license and the lady looked at me like I was from Mars.  I guess alarm bells went off in her head because I could see the look.  Well, I was interrogated, searched and harassed for the next 2 hours.  They were even going apeshit over my penthouse.  They used that for grounds to search the hard drive on my computer for porn.  The dude even threatened me.  He said, just tell me what porn you have because if I find any and you don't tell me about it, then I am going to impound your vehicle.  I acted innocent and was basically thinking, take your best shot asshole. Haha, I keep my REAL porn hidden well... They couldn't find it [:)]

After damn near tearing the vehicle apart and even going through my Qtip holder looking for something, The border guard or asshole, whichever finally said, I can't believe that a couple of good ole boys don't have a handgun.  (My buddy is from MS.)  I was thinking...... No, you just aren't smart enough to find it dumbF**K, but I smiled and said, isn't that illegal to carry into Canada?

So back to watching Canadian Bacon and getting liquored up for the invasion [X]

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Ahhh

So Magic you are the source for all the smuggled handguns being used in Toronto!!!

Next time bring one up for me!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ahhh

So Magic you are the source for all the smuggled handguns being used in Toronto!!!

Next time bring one up for me!!
View Quote

Next question.... I'll stick to that innocent till proven guilty thing. [):)]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Sorry about what happened here.   I mean, I don't have much use for opera singers to begin with, but obviously this was fueled by the rivalry.  

This is no excuse, but pro wrestling has always been an outlet for people frustrated by not getting to kick much ass themselves.   Hockey is like that, too.  Hell, I might not watch if wasn't so physical.  There are somre parallels between both sports and porn, not that this is necessarily bad.

Stormbringer, this wouldn't have happened in San Jose.  Assholes there are better behaved than assholes in NYC.  

Now that we've told you how sorry we are, is there some way you could keep Celene Dion home?

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#50]
No way!!

Heres a deal...

You can burn Toronto Maple leaf flags all you want as long as YOU GUYS keep Celine!!!!

Ok Magic...nudge nudge......

Need my address!!!????

LOL

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top