Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2002 1:57:02 PM EDT
International Combat Arms
Combat Weapons
Fighting Firearms
SURVIVAL Weapons and Tactics (When S.W.A.T. Magazine was for EVERYONE)
Firepower
Pistolero

I used to get them all...

Scott

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
What about Gung-Ho? There was another too that I cant remember...New Breed I think.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I forgot Gung-Ho....

Scott

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC, Gung-Ho once had an article about the 75-round AR-15 drums. They were bluntly honest about how much swamp water the magazines sucked, while blowing chunks at the same time. Interesting physics lesson....

Scott

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I can remember way back when Soldier Of Fortune was COOOL.

And another martial arts/firearm magazine called "Warriors."
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Gung-Ho was great.  

- Their reviews were the most no-BS that I've seen before or since.

- The had the cool weapon sillouettes at the end of each article so you could build your ID skills.

- They had some really good articles.  There was an article on camo and another on urban warfare that were very good.  I'd love to find some reprints of those two.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#7]
One day you will find my SOF FF collection on Eboy.  All four or five issues!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh YEAAA

International Combat arms!!

What a great read!!

I still drool over all the issues that I have once and a while!

What good ones are around today???
All I know is SAR  and its a rare find here in Canada!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh YEAAA

International Combat arms!!

What a great read!!

I still drool over all the issues that I have once and a while!

What good ones are around today???
All I know is SAR  and its a rare find here in Canada!
View Quote

I got a few years worth of ICA.  That's the first time I saw the Steyr Aug and I wanted one badly.  That's where I first learned of Sig Sauer and I bought my P226 based solely upon the advertisement within the pages of ICA.

Did SAR used to be MGN?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]
American Survival Guide
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Speaking of the old SOF...I  just found a box in one of my closets of just about all of the issues from #1 (Summer 1975) through about 1982 or thereabouts. Anybody know if there'd be a market for them?
View Quote

Back then SOF ran ads for mercenaries and other guns for hire in the classified section. Interesting to say the least.

Anyone else read Modern Gun?

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh I just remembered another one..

Defense Update International...

I also enjoyed the Surplus firearms Series from Guns and Ammo.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, Gung Ho. I have a couple of those and many other magazines stored at my mothers house.
Every few years she reminds/asks me to bring them over to my house or she'll throw them out.
I just forget and she does too, thank God. My wife would freak if I ever brought home all of my old rags.
Gung Ho wasn't around too long if I remember correctly. Didn't make it past bi-monthly I believe.
SOF was pretty good back then. I particularly enjoyed their South African, Angola and Rhodesian war stories.
It covered world events the mainstream media ignored.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#14]
how about Argosy
rag from the late 60's early 70's.
just had to because of the first two letter's.
rescue92
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#15]
The Hangunner (the British magazine edited by Jan Stevenson, not the unspeakable American Hangunner, which is truly drivel). Best written, most original and incisive gun magazine anywhere on the planet until it closed its doors in 1996 (no more handguns in Britain, so no market).

Some classic articles on concealed carry that told it like it really is (cold guns 'n all). An article on gun handling formed good habits I maintain to this day.

I have 90% of the set. I love going back to the early-80s and smiling at the photos of IPSC shooters trying to negotiate obstacles while shooting and not tripping over their bell-bottom jeans. Alas will probably never complete the colection.

Only thing I've seen since that even approaches The Handgunner in feel is Small Arms Review, which I just discovered. Raw and original.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#16]
damn i wish i could remember the name of it but it was a zine from around the late 60's to 70's deticated to improvised arms i found some issues of it when i was cleaning out the house of a departed friend of the family. somewhere around here i have em..

SAR is by far the coolest gun mag printed today.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#17]
No
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Jane's Defence Weekly and

Armada International
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#19]
no, but how 'bout kilobaud microcomputing, byte (before it sucked), or '80 micro?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#20]
" how 'bout kilobaud microcomputing, byte (before it sucked), or '80 micro? "

Yep, remember how they had basic programs printed out so you could input them yourself?

Used to have a copy of 73magazine (or was it 73Micro?) that had a half page review of the Apple I computer in it.

Anybody else ever subscribe to a newsletter called "For Your Eyes Only"?  Usually 6 or 8 pages of military news from around the world.  Still have a bunch of them out in the garage.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speaking of the old SOF...I  just found a box in one of my closets of just about all of the issues from #1 (Summer 1975) through about 1982 or thereabouts. Anybody know if there'd be a market for them?
View Quote

Back then SOF ran ads for mercenaries and other guns for hire in the classified section. Interesting to say the least.
View Quote

I started buying SOF around 1980, and continued to do so until about 1984. The classifieds were a riot. One classified was posted by a mother daughter team who's main skill appeared to be horseback riding . . .
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Pistolero was cool.  I remember Lt. Budweiser well.  He didn't hesitate to call a crappy gun crap.  He was full of crap himself plenty of times, but at least he wasn't full of *himself* like the ordinary gun rag commando.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top