Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2002 1:59:40 PM EDT
I was really cranky yesterday but it was a non-specific crankiness and with several member's help and by yelling at MurderSHO45, I was able to get un-funky.

Then today I read two or three different zillion character posts/manifestos from SteyrAug followed up by Steyr saying he will not pay $60.00 to be treated in certain ways by the Mods. This is getting me all ticked off again!!

I'll say this in public as I do not have anything to hide....

Steyr, step up and pay for the membership. You obviously like the site well enough for these incredibly long rants/articles, then help offset the costs of providing you the arena. I can not make you comply, but I would hope that you would see this as the right thing to do and break out with $5.00 a month. If you look at it via word posted, your bill would be somewhere around $00.00004 per word posted per month. It really would be a sweet deal!![:D]

And as long as I am here....

Mr. Blaze of Glory,

I do not care if you are the mother of all trolls or are enjoying your 1st Ammendment rights and possibly just get some sort of perverse pleasure in stirring up trouble. PAY UP!! You also have been a prolific poster and I am sure that the bandwidth needed to support your 'habit' is not free. You have an incredible record of posting 522 times in APRIL!! Your charge of $5.00 per month can be seen as $00.0096 per post!! I can pretty much guaranty you that it cost the Avila's more than that to give you somwhere to stir up trouble!!

OK, that is all of the personalized 'arm-twisting' that I will do. The rest of you that have over 300 posts and/or have been members here for over one year and/or use the Equipment Exchange.....see the post title.

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
OK, that is all of the personalized 'arm-twisting' that I will do. The rest of you that have over 300 posts and/or have been members here for over one year and/or use the Equipment Exchange.....see the post title.
View Quote

I didn't realize I had signed up for the "demo-only" version.

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#2]
for a sec there I thought it's 60 bucks a month. Even if that were the case, it'd still be a better deal than my cable connection. Road runner really sucks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#3]
FAIR POST.

However, I belong to several gun forums. This is the only one I am aware of that has a paid member status. If it became a member ONLY forum I would surely be excluded, and rightly so.

IIRC, that is why the "Team AR15" Forum was created so that people would have a exclusive place to go and NOT be bothered by the likes of me and the rest of the unwashed.

There is LITTLE activity in the members only forum. As it is a safe haven from people of my sort it would be unkind for me to go in there and answer all the "SteyrAUG is a Bad Man who makes the Baby Jesus Cry" posts."

Also I DON'T feel like paying $60.00 for the opportunity to have everyone tell me what a jackass I am for NOT liking Israel and have the topics I post locked. Furthermore, I have been consistently singled out for doing what SEVERAL members do. Just because I represent and express the opinions and sentiments of many members I get singled out.

I noticed when I took some time off you just went to the next guys. David Hineline, Scarecrow, etc.

So if you DON'T want to deal with me or read my posts, you have your own exclusive Team AR15 treehouse. The only criticism I am concerned with is from the Goat. And I haven't heard from him so far.

The only time I bothered him was by participating in the "I injured myself" joke thing yesterday. But I let it go, it was just a joke.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was really cranky yesterday but it was a non-specific crankiness and with several member's help and by yelling at MurderSHO45, I was able to get un-funky.

Then today I read two or three different zillion character posts/manifestos from SteyrAug followed up by Steyr saying he will not pay $60.00 to be treated in certain ways by the Mods. This is getting me all ticked off again!!

I'll say this in public as I do not have anything to hide....

Steyr, step up and pay for the membership. You obviously like the site well enough for these incredibly long rants/articles, then help offset the costs of providing you the arena. I can not make you comply, but I would hope that you would see this as the right thing to do and break out with $5.00 a month. If you look at it via word posted, your bill would be somewhere around $00.00004 per word posted per month. It really would be a sweet deal!![:D]

And as long as I am here....

Mr. Blaze of Glory,

I do not care if you are the mother of all trolls or are enjoying your 1st Ammendment rights and possibly just get some sort of perverse pleasure in stirring up trouble. PAY UP!! You also have been a prolific poster and I am sure that the bandwidth needed to support your 'habit' is not free. You have an incredible record of posting 522 times in APRIL!! Your charge of $5.00 per month can be seen as $00.0096 per post!! I can pretty much guaranty you that it cost the Avila's more than that to give you somwhere to stir up trouble!!

View Quote

Well said! Will do!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder. Do we get a rebate if we 'pay up' and don't use the 'club house'?

hmmmm.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I put my money where my mouth is and paid up.  $60 a year is pretty cheap for the advice I have gotten on this forum.  Thanks to everyone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Dammit Wiggy!!

Do I need to come over there and kick your little white butt again!!

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe I need to hang out more at the OlyArms [url]www.oa2.org[/url] owner forums , they don't even have a paid members section .
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What we do not need is Us paid guys starting shit with the freeloaders..... ummm non paid members [:D}j/k.

mike
View Quote

I completely agree with T.B. Slayer !  It would be most unseemly for paying members to get down on non-paying non-members.

S. Aug - put up the loot !!  (Want me to front you a couple of bucks until payday ?)
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll see no money of mine for the privilege of posting here.

But, maybe I'll buy something.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, gotta agree. Been my thought for quite a while. I keep hearing,"If we weren't here, the advertisers wouldn't be here". Bullshit, the advertisers are here because some of us actually spend $$s. I'll bet if you had to pay as little as $5, half the morons would be GONE!...
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I will never pay to use this site.
Not only will I never pay to use it, but if it ever comes down to having to pay to post I will not even read the site.

With all the traffic this site gets the owners have to be making plenty of money from banner ads. I don't understand why they want anyone's money at all.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You'll see no money of mine for the privilege of posting here.

But, maybe I'll buy something.
View Quote

Forget the General Discussion Forum and look at 'ALL' that AR15.com has to offer.

Where else can you go for mag advice, information from members on the new AR-180B, sell a gun , buy a gun what bullet weight (length) should I shoot in this barrel twist, etc., etc.
There is a Mod by the name of TROY - you can't buy Troy's knowledge and expertise anywhere but here you can have it free.
There is another Mod by the name of Dave_G - Dave's knowledge on guns is incredible and he'll insult you for FREE !!

I just bought 4 new scopes and mounts.  I asked for advice on which scopes and which mounts and then where to buy.  I assure you members here saved me far more than $60.00

I buy value and wish all my $60.00 investments had the yield of my AR15.com membership.

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I still don't understand why you care.?.?

Is there something you're not telling us.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#19]
DONATION

Frankly, this board has saved me hours of searching for stuff and lots of dollars. The members(donating or not) contribute  much to the character of this board. I am waaaay ahead of what the donation cost.

The comedy of this crew is fantastic!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
With all the traffic this site gets the owners have to be making plenty of money from banner ads. I don't understand why they want anyone's money at all.
View Quote

As an advertiser, let me tell you that they in fact [u]DO NOT[/u] get paid for banner clicks!  We pay an annual fee that constitutes about 1/4 of what their monthly fees run.  For the most part, the Avila family provides this out of their own generosity, and it's a huge financial burden.

What pisses some of us off the most, is the posts such as this:

Quoted:
I will never pay to use this site.
Not only will I never pay to use it, but if it ever comes down to having to pay to post I will not even read the site.
View Quote

Nobody is saying that anyone ever has to pay, but it certainly seems like the right thing for some of us that have several hundred or several thousand posts to do.

[*] Are you aware that $5.00 from [u]every[/u] BRC registration goes to help defray these site expenses..?[/*]
[*] Are you aware that $10.00 from [u]every[/u] LEGP purchase goes to help defray these site expenses..?[/*]

I find it sad that this discussion even needs to be brought up, but sometimes it just does!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Since I seem to have stirred up more than I intended, I think that I should clarify some things.

The_Beer_Slayer, I am not slamming any non-paying members. I am, however, fed up with a few of the more prolific 'freeloaders'. IMHO, they can post as much as they want but they should try not to be antagonistic. It should anger all of the members to read posts from a 'non-paying' member that are negative towards the site, staff. mods, industry partners, and even our 'elder statesmen' here. The reasons for paying should include the feeling of teamwork and comraderie much like a family. This negativity from non-payers is analogous to having a friend over for dinner at your parents house and then listening to your friend run down your family! Now, it's OK for me to run down my family, but you better be a part of it to do so yourself! See what I mean, Beer?

For the rest of you non-payers and others opposed to this post, you are welcome to your opinions and I even welcome intelligent, reasoned discourse. As far as I am concerned, this site does not need to be a pay to play site, but that decision and many others are up to the Avila's. I was asked to help support the site and did so willingly because of all of the incredible information here. I have learned much more than the membership fee and I feel an obligation to the people that put this site together. I love it here and am honored to help out. If you do not want to, then don't.... but you may want to reconsider running down my 'family' here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#22]
For those of us who are currently subsisting on food stamps, fried tree-rats, and lawn clippings, how about in-kind donations?  I'd gladly donate a few hours to help FIGURE OUT WHY THIS SITE CRASHES NETSCAPE EVERY TWO $#*&ing MINUTES!!!! [:p] [whacko] AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#23]
How about this for a unique idea?  If you can, and want to, join up and get Team status.  If you either can't, or don't want to, don't.

If you just don't want to, that's kewl.  If, for some reason you want to, but can't, email GoatBoy or myself and let us see what we can do.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I can see both sides of the coin, my personal opinion is that by the end of this year I will have been a non-paying member for 1 full year. If at that time, I feel that I comfortably "fit in" here, I will start paying the yearly fee.

I came across this site when gathering info on my first AR purchase, this site is a valuable resource to me - I'd hate to see it go under due to lack of funds.......
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I am happy to pay up and support this site.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
S. Aug - put up the loot !!  (Want me to front you a couple of bucks until payday ?)
View Quote
Is this an open invitation??? [:D]
View Quote

UhUhhh Uh !  (And that's my final word on this subject.)
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Road runner really sucks.
View Quote

That isn't cool man. [:D]

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Do I detect an increased hostility towards non-paying members?

If we’re not welcome, ask us to leave.

R/K
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh, and Wiggy,

If you’re such an upstanding member of this comunity, why don’t you
foot the bill for SteyrAug’s account.  Or is your real reason to just put
us non-paying members down?

This place is starting to stink,

R/K
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#31]
As I don't post very often I need to say this.  In Oct. last year, when I discovered this site, I was impresssed.  Impressed enough that I decided to help support the site financially.  Basically, putting my money where my mouth is.  The Team Membership dues are cheap compared to the knowledge I have gained since I joined the site.  My 2 cents.

Marty
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#32]
People just let it go. Dead issue.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#33]
SteyrAUG Wrote:  It would be unkind for me to go in there and answer all the "SteyrAUG is a Bad Man who makes the Baby Jesus Cry" posts."

Hey SteyrAUG, I looked in the TEAM AR15.Com Forum and didn't see any of the above type posts [:D]

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

R/K
View Quote

Mr. Kill,

There is no animosity towards anyone on this site, regardless of payment status. I am, however, getting pretty tired of some people bad mouthing people in this group, or the operation of this site, or the Moderators on this site while taking advantage of this site and not finacially contributing. It seems that the vast majority of these negative people can bitch about every thing but will not support thi site. If you are not being negative or constantly argumentative then my rant is not, repeat not, directed at you.
Lurk all you want, post all you want, learn all you can, develop as many new friendships as you can, participate until to your satisfied, but be careful of your conduct and attitude. Really, I am not asking for anything more than a civilized society requires.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Righteous_Kill, go back and re-read Wiggy's post.  Then think about the pot yer stirring.

Wiggy, you're right... I figured I'd cough up the membership fee once I hit 1k posts, which I did yesterday, and so I paypal'd my donation just a little while ago. This is a great site and deserves support from those who can afford it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

R/K
View Quote

R. Kill,
please take a look at Don R's post near the bottom of page one.  I believe Don R's post to be representative of management position on this topic and the rest of the posts are simply our individual opinions.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

R/K
View Quote

No, there is no hostility.  Reread the posts and you'll see its not about that.

Oh, and Wiggy,

foot the bill for SteyrAug’s account. Or is your real reason to just put

R/K
View Quote

Well, just to show how much this place doesn't 'stink', I'll step up to this plate.

I will pay for one membership right now.  

Hey, how about a contest?  If you are not a paying member but want to be, post your 'Why I want to show my support for AR15.com' essay here.  One post max length.  I will pick the winner tonight based on who I feel really wants it.

This is no shit folks, I'm going to pay for someone's membership tonight.  Maybe this will help convince a few people that there is a good reason to help keep this place alive...

So, who wants it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ve read his post several times, looks like you’re just joining the band
wagon.  This looks fairly directed at me, and a lot of other members.

R/K
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Oh, and Wiggy,

foot the bill for SteyrAug’s account.  Or is your real reason to just put

R/K
View Quote

Please see my reply to your earlier post. As far as SteyrAUG' s account, if he NEEDS help with the dues then I would be glad to help.

Matt
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That, my friend, is known as an opinion. An opinion, I might add, that is from a member of this site. I am not a Moderator, not an owner, basically not affiliated with the management side of this site at all. I do however, stand by that opinion, we should all be happy to help pay for our 'clubhouse'. If you do not want to contribute but also do not want to stir shit on a regular basis, then understand that this opinion is not directed at you.

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m sure not all “Team Members” feel that way, sorry, just a sore
subject.  FMJ, that’s really good of you, hope someone worthy earns
it.  Also, I must agree with SteryAug’s assessment about some of the
moderators on this board Plus, being a paying member is not for
everyone.

If you guys don’t like SteryAug, or other posting partys, petition to
have them tossed off.

R/K
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well, just to show how much this place doesn't 'stink', I'll step up to this plate.

Hey, how about a contest?  If you are not a paying member but want to be, post your 'Why I want to show my support for AR15.com' essay here.  One post max length.  I will pick the winner tonight based on who I feel really wants it.

This is no shit folks, I'm going to pay for someone's membership tonight.  Maybe this will help convince a few people that there is a good reason to help keep this place alive...

So, who wants it?
View Quote

FM,
you run the contest and decide the winners and I'll match your offer - I'll also pay for a user who would like to be a member but due to circumstances cannot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, who wants it?
View Quote

FM,
you run the contest and decide the winners and I'll match your offer - I'll also pay for a user who would like to be a member but due to circumstances cannot.
View Quote

I'm in too. Set me up for another membership. Pick three winners and I'll go for one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Steyr, heaven forbid that you can't share your unbridled wisdom with those of us in the unwashed masses.  Please contact me so that I can make arrangements for you to be able to continue to share your life altering post with us!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Also, I must agree with SteryAug’s assessment about some of the
moderators on this board Plus......

R/K
View Quote

R/K, being a Mod here is an unpaid and basically thankless job.
The Mods are not perfect but do try very hard.  (Except for "raf" of course [:D])

Which Mod ever was thanked for not locking a topic ?  For locking a topic ??
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The rest of you that have over 300 posts and/or have been members here for over one year and/or use the Equipment Exchange.....see the post title.

There is [red]no animosity towards anyone[/red] on this site, regardless of payment status.
View Quote

Hmmm... and the title of this thread is [b]"If  you like it... PAY UP!!"[/b]

So which is it - "No animosity" or "PAY UP!!"?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#47]
BTT....looks like we have a contest on our hands here!

FMJunkie, 5subslr5, & wiggy762, you're generosity does not go unnoticed! This is one of the reasons I continue to come back to AR15.com again and again, the quality of people in here amazes me...
(is that enough ass kissing?, So did I win?, just kidding of course!)

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm going to start a new thread to give away the three memberships...

BTW, thanks for backing me up guys!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#49]
For sure it’s a crap job, no matter, their actions reflect on the site.

Why am I even in this thread?  I could care less about the doings of
AR-15.com’s aristocrats.

R/K
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#50]
While this post was aimed at a few individuals, I think a few things need to be cleared up.
I think that if you post ALOT you should pay up, but I don't think that you can put a number on it.
If you are constantly using the EE to sell items, you should also pay up. THere is one individual who comes to mind in the EE who seems to ALWAYS be selling items, and is not a Team Member.
I've been visiting this site for about a year, and have seen alot of changes, mostly for the good.
As an example, the BRC, and the LEGP, the HERO rifles.
All that is done for members, both TEAM and non-Team.

No, I'm not a paying member (gonna be out of the USMC in 2 months, and still haven't found a job yet) but when I get a stable job after I get out, I'll pay for a Team membership.

One more thing, I'll bet that if Troy gave one mag from his collection to each new Team Member, the numbers would go up!! And from wghat I understand, Troy could go for YEARS supplying new Ar15.com Team members with mags!! Ant that would most certainly drive membership up!! [:)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top