Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2002 4:45:58 AM EDT
Can anybody tell if a Big Block would fit in a 3rd gen. F-body?
Want to do something new,the idea of aNOTHER! small block makes me sleepy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:03:04 AM EDT
[#2]
i seem to rememember a web site with photos of the bb filled engine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw a 500ci BB in a late model Camaro at a car show last year. So I am sure it can be done.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can anybody tell if a Big Block would fit in a 3rd gen. F-body?
Want to do something new,the idea of aNOTHER! small block makes me sleepy.
View Quote

[;D]
Well, [i]you[/i] had to ask!

Of course you can can but it works best in:

A-Bodies: Darts, Dusters, Demons, Valiants, early 'Cudas

or

B-Bodies: Chargers, GTX's, Roadrunners, Super Bee's, etc...

or

E-Bodies: Late 'Cudas & Challengers.

NOW, THATS HOW TO DO IT!
[;D] [;D]

of [b][i]course[/i][/b] the big block you're talking about is a [b]440[/b].
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:38:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Attaboy. misterhemi!!! I was just trying to figure out a nice way to tell him to get out a torch.....
And trade the car for a Mopar![:D]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm with you guys,MOPAR RULES!!!!!!

Just don't trun[;)]

BTW:Love the new turbo Neon,go things you DC guys don't have to go back 30 years to find a good hotrod [:\]it's no PT cruiser but I bet it's still fast....................HA HA HA HA HA
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyway,back on topic.........

Would I be lucky enough to have somebody on this site who could tell me if A ZZ502 Ram jet will fit under hood on a 89 IROC.
After that I'll go back to talking about ARs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Sure you can. You can put any engine in any car you can think of if you're willing to do the work. I think it isn't too hard to get a BB in a 3rd gen, it's the 4th gen with half the engine under the dash that's tough to get a one into.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes it is possible, but it takes a lot of money and custom fabbing to make it work.  There was an issue of Super Chevy a few years back that had an article about a guy putting a 502 in his late model Camaro.  The car was on the cover, if some how you can get a hold of that issue it would probably give you some good insight into whats involved in that kind of build up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
OK I see, thats not what I want to get in to.

I wanted to buy this bone stock IROC and piss off the Jap car kids.
They sh!t there pants when you pull the nose off the road about a foot.

I don't want to make a rig racer,I put a 327 in my S-10 blazer and was so easy I was hoping I would get lucky twice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There was an issue of Super Chevy a few years back that had an article about a guy putting a 502 in his late model Camaro.  The car was on the cover . . .
View Quote

Just saw that issue a few weeks ago - remodeling house, remove walls, 34 sheets drywall.

Red title band, with black 3rd gen Rat F.

Iirc, biggest work was exhaust manifolds/headers, and respringing/damping front-end for higher weight.

Think Car Craft or Hot Rod, showed GM engineers doing the same.

All struck me as less work/pain, compared to Bank's SB Twin Turbo, but that's not saying much.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#16]
here is an excellent 3rd gen web site:

www.thirdgen.org

In '99 I built up a tuned port 3rd gen with all the factory performance goodies + some, like 36mm hollow front stablizer, wonder bar, PBS rear disc brakes, posi 3:42  Iroc wheels 245/50 16 Goodyears, homemade strut tower brace.  this car rocked too bad I sold it to purchase a 4th gen in the near future.  

Nearly twenty years ago I put a 454 in an '81 Olds Cutlass.  It was too long for the fan so I had to go to electric.  There simply was not enough room for a large enough radiator so the engine ran hot and the springs were too weak in front.  The holes were already in the chassis for the engine mounts because that car came with a chevy V8.  I had to fabricate the tranny mount(TH400).  Installing a BB in a 3rd gen would probably be similar....

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I found this for you too:

Transplanting a Big-Block Chevy into your 3rd Gen F-Body

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article is taken from HOT ROD magazine. May 1988 issue:

[url]http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/5604/bbc.html[/url]

It's quite detailed.
View Quote

You da man!!! O, what a fun toy this will be[X]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top