Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2002 1:25:09 PM EDT
So a while ago I posted something about me not being able to go the Naval Academy or join the military because of my eye sight. And that I was told that if I was in the service I could have surgery, but I couldn't get in because of my eyes, and [i]if I had eye surgery I couldn't get in.[/i] I was told that at least 10 times.

Bullshit.

WASHINGTON, March 9, 2000 -- DoD officials have implemented
a policy allowing individuals who have had two common forms
of laser eye surgery to enter the military with a medical
waiver. Individuals who'd had corrective eye surgery were
previously ineligible for military service.
The two waivable procedures are photorefractive keratotomy,
usually referred to as PRK, and laser in-situ
keratomileusis, or LASIK, according to Dr. John Mazzuchi,
deputy for clinical and program policy in the Office of the
Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs.
View Quote

[url]http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Mar2000/n03092000_20003093.html[/url]

I printed the whole thing out, and we're taking a trip to the recruiters office on Monday morning.

[Sorry, Spade, to hear about your situation. On another note, you shouldn't use four letter words in your thread subject titles! ------EricTheHun]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Inconceivable!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If there is one immutable, incontrovertable rule about life, is it "All Recruiters Lie".
View Quote

Add "Naval Academy Admissions Officers", "Officers of the Deparment of Defense Medical Exam Review Board", "Naval Medical Officers", and "Various folks of high rank who I wrote letters to" to that rule.
The recruiter I talked to in PA didn't lie, he just reported back to me what a Med Officer told him.

Oddly enough, all of these people are/were working desk jobs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Echelons in the Navy?

It is possible that your recruiter didn't know the BuMed policy change.
View Quote

It's possible.

But shouldn't the idiots at DODMERB and USNA know about it?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If there is one immutable, incontrovertable rule about life, is it "All Recruiters Lie".
View Quote

Yeah, but don't they usually lie in order to get you to join?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#7]
SIR, YES SIR!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]
A good friend in high school worked hard all through school and got great grades, did extra-curiccular stuff, the whole nine yards. Wanted nothing more than to go to Annapolis. He was denied because he has a low-grade reaction to bee stings.

Scott

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]
This isn't a recruiting issue. Like someone said, it is the Medical Officer/Doctor who gave the information to the Recruiter. I ran into a similar issue in '77 when I enlisted. The Recruiter was pissed because he would lose credit/points for my enlistment. I had my personal physician call the Medical Officer and set him straight. (My doctor actually called the Medical Officer an idiot and asked when the last time he read a medical journal. Questioned whether all military doctors were incompetent and asked if he kept up on any of the 'medical breakthroughs' that had occurred during the 100 years since he had been to Medical School).

Medical Officer called the Recruiter and OK'd the enlistment.

The 'short' of it all is don't believe anything anyone tells you unless you check it out yourself and see it in writing...and even then, keep checking. There is so much going on, special circumstances, changes in requirements, that no one can be expected to keep it straight.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The last time I had hear, it was AIRFORCE  was "20/20" period. And Naval Aviation was "CORRECTABLE TO 20/20"
And that was back in 90
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Chips Ahoy
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 2:27:03 AM EDT
[#13]
HA-HA. you got the "green wienie". welcome to the club. if recruiters arent out and out lying they lie by ommision by not keeping up with current facts. ever notice on those Marine commercials the guy hops around the chess board, slays the dragon and then the lightening hits him a BAM he's automatically a Captain...WTF. the Navy/Marine Corps is full of mess officers and Admin officers that joined to be fighter pilots. like the Corps is full of enlisted cooks who joined to be recon and the Navy is full of yeoman who wanted to be SEALS. ya just gotta bend over and take it. personally, i shopped around at recruiters and OSO's like i was car shopping. if one didnt tell me what i wanted to hear i walked.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but a lie that keeps some one out?

Unheard of!
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Dude, I know how you feel.  I was kept out due to a health problem that Airforce docs found when I was 12, but at that time they did nothing about it.

To this day I am still pissed.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Dont feel to bad. I went to the MEPS earlier this year and the Doc tried to talk me out of joining. They later told me that because i was written up as "Unmotivated" 10 years!!! ago, that i was not suitable for military enlistment. TEN YEARS AGO!!!!!!!! i was just out of High School, what the hell did i know!!

I've tried mulitple time to get back into the military. On the fourth try (the Navy) they say im "Unmotivated". I did rather well on the ASVAB and as far as i know; i passed the Physical. I qualified for almost any job in the Air Force/Navy. Grrrrr....

Ohh well, screw it...

lib
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Spade,
Drop me an email if you want more info and the exact regs.  I had PRK done back in March so I could fly for the Air Force.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top