Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2002 6:26:09 PM EDT
Vote!

[url]http://home.netscape.com/?cp=hop04refresh [/url]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If only some microbiologist could create a super virus that is highly contageous and kills stupid people.

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Abolutely right DoubleFeed.  I think I'll do some reloading.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, no's are ahead 70%-30%.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes:
 30%  
votes

No:
 70%  
votes

votes total.

medcop
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
we need to hit this message board because there is a real need of education over there.

here is the problem people, ignorance!  posted by one over at:   [url]http://boards.netscape.com/nsboards/news/art_threaded.mbl?boardId=39634&artNum=629&sort=r_date&tsort=msgs&
[/url]
...But about the rest of your message the second amendment actually gives the right to bear arms "in a state organized militia." Therefore gun control is not unconstitutional...

Iso
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#8]
DoubleFeed, you are correct and I am now just learning all this as well.  after my initial reply I went back over to netscape and read more of the posts.  the majority are in the same boat.  the only good thought that I have at this time is the more people that get into the some boat the more likely that boat is to sink.

Iso
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:43:15 AM EDT
[#9]
btt
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:50:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, for what it's worth, here's my reply to these misguided souls.

The 'fact' is there ARE guns, and there are a lot of them. There are also a LOT of cars, hammers, knives, baseball bats, etc. These are all items that have been and are currently used to kill. It is also a 'fact' that humans have been killing each other throughout recorded history and beyond with whatever was/is available; rocks, sticks, spears, swords, bows, poison, guns, bombs, etc. The point is, a gun, ANY gun, is a tool like any of the above mentioned items. As such, it can be put to a beneficial use or a detrimental use, or more simply; good or bad. Statistically, more people are killed by cars per year than by guns. FBI statistics show that hammers were used to kill more people than long guns(rifles, shotguns). If, somehow, ALL guns ceased to exist EVERYWHERE, the criminals, the deranged, and suicidal, would simply find another 'tool' to kill with. The core issue that the arguement about guns misses is that violence, regardless of which 'tool' is used, is a social problem. The question should not be what a criminal or psychopath used (and how he got it) to perform his act, but WHY he did it. We need to be examining our own societies to their core and affect real changes to eliminate elements that lead a person to a criminal act. Education, including firearms safety,(after all most schools have driving classes to teach the safe use of a car, and shop classes to teach the safe and proper use of tools, including hammers) needs to be a priority. We need to reassess the value we, as a society place on GOOD teachers. Their income should exceed that of government beauraucrats and administrators. And that is just the tip of a really big iceberg. Unfortunately, I think it is easier for most people to blame an inanimate object rather than reevaluate how we live our lives, or allow our lives to be led, which makes this a very steep uphill battle.
I have never seen a hammer swing at something without a hand holding it, never seen a knive cut something without a hand holding it, and I've never seen a gun fire without a hand touching or holding it.
Stop blaming the tool. Blame the person whose hand is holding the tool.

I know I've addressed a very complex issue somewhat simplisticly, but it's just a post, not a dissertation.

Dan
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
29% Yes
71% NO
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes:
 29%  
votes

No:
 71%  
votes

votes total.

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]
It is now 29% yes and 71% NO!!!

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Great answer, Danforth, can I use some of that in the future?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top