Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2002 2:58:32 PM EDT
Quick question, I have a friend living in Maryland. He's coming up to PA next week for a gun show and wants to know if he can legally purchase a rifle or pistol in Pennsylvania. I know he can buy it and have it shipped to MD but I need to know if he can buy it in PA and take it home with him there.

I remember hearing a while back that this may be possible.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
well, I know he can purchase it, and take it across state lines, but I don't know what Maryland's laws are about that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
My local gun shop, in Shrewsbury, Pa. has pistols in stock that have the test fired brass included to conform to Maryland law. They cost more than Pa. pistols due to the expense of the test (Maryland law sucks - if he's really your friend, convince him to move to Pa!).
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, here's the skinny on buying firearms in neighboring states for MD residents.

Handguns- no go
You could buy it but getting it transferred is hard to do. Most MD gun stores won't do transfers anymore.

Rifles and Shotguns- A big ten four
NO problems. Get the NICS done and take it home with you. One exception. If the rifle is a named assult weapon it's treated the same as a handgun. AR15's has one sweet loophole. If it says HBAR it's not an assult weapon.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the firearm, a shotgun would be no problem, a rifle would depend on what type, a handgun would have to be shipped in through a FFL.  Most so called "Assault Rifles" are required to be registered in MD.  The only thing that I know of that is not is the HBAR, MD considers it a sporting rifle and therefore does not need registered.  I bought a Colt HBAR a few years back from Target Master in PA, and brought it home to MD.  Then a friend told me that I had to register it, I checked it out and if it is a heavy barrel they consider it a sport or target rifle and your ok without registering it.  By the way I am leaving MD next month.  Unfortunately I am not moving to PA, but DE is still much better that MD.  DE has CCW and doesn't require registration.
Mike
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
damn gus, how old are you. i wouldnt be suprised if we know eachother. first posts referring to harford county, then southern york county. freedom armory does have nice selection but their prices are just way too high. i have a model 70 in there on consignment right now. my mom dropped it off for me when she picked up her glock
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:54:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
damn gus, how old are you. i wouldnt be suprised if we know eachother. first posts referring to harford county, then southern york county. freedom armory does have nice selection but their prices are just way too high. i have a model 70 in there on consignment right now. my mom dropped it off for me when she picked up her glock
View Quote

Past 40, but younger than 42. I grew up in Aberdeen, but moved to southern York county in 1987 for tax, real estate, and political reasons. Freedom Armory's prices seem to vary, sometimes they have good deals, other times they are a little high. Still beats dealing with Md. law and they are pretty good to deal with. They charge too much for transfers though (my LEGP cost me $35 for the transfer, and the price went up since then. One nice thing, they are a Class III dealer and usually have a fairly good selection, most of which is not normally on display. Also, if you talk to them a little, they can sometimes work with you a little on price.

So whereabouts here are you from?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top