Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2002 4:34:39 PM EDT
Who in California would vote for davis With his opinions on reparations ?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/04/25/MN186211.DTL
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Wheww!  I thought you were talking about Jefferson Davis!  That could have got real ugly around here.

U.S. political leader, president of the Confederate States of America (1861-65). Born in Christian Co., Ky., he graduated from West Point and served in Wisconsin Territory and later in the Black Hawk War. In 1835 he became a planter in Mississippi. Elected to the U.S. House of Representatives (1845-46), he resigned to serve in the Mexican War, where he distinguished himself at the Battle of Buena Vista. A national hero, he served in the U.S. Senate (1847-51) and as Pres. F. Pierce's secretary of war (1853-57). He returned to the Senate in 1857, where he advocated states' rights but tried to discourage secession. After Mississippi seceded in 1861, he resigned and was chosen president of the Confederacy. He conducted the South's war effort in the face of a lack of manpower, supplies, and money, and hampered by discord from radicals within his administration. On Lee's surrender, he fled Richmond, hoping to continue the fight until he could secure better terms from the North. Captured and indicted for treason, he was never tried; he was released in poor health in 1867. He retired to Mississippi and never sought amnesty or restoration of his citizenship, which was restored posthumously in 1978.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/04/25/MN186211.DTL[/url]

Blackout in 2001
Gray out in 2002
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmmm...Reparations paid to non-profit organizations...Like the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition maybe?

With a landmark state study on slave-era insurance policies about to be released, Gov. Gray Davis addressed the issue of possible reparations to California minorities yesterday, saying, "Clearly, we want to right any wrongs and do justice to people who were taken advantage of."

Davis made the comments while appearing with the Rev. Jesse Jackson ....

Jackson, at a news conference, said the California Department of Insurance study on slave-era insurance practices represented "a ground-breaking national issue." He said the findings, scheduled to be released Wednesday, might raise the possibility of reparations from private businesses owed to African Americans -- and Californians of Chinese and Mexican descent.

"We do know that the same ships that brought Africans over, to become African Americans . . . brought in Chinese to the West Coast," said Jackson, referring to immigrant laborers, known derogatorily as "coolies," who worked on the railroads and other building projects, including the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta levees.

Jackson said African Americans, as well as Mexican Americans, also appeared to have been the victims of unethical insurance business practices in which they were charged more than whites for the same services.

"Mexican Americans paid more, and African Americans paid more, . . . than the policies were worth," he said.

Jackson, in an editorial board meeting at The Chronicle this week, said he would not expect reparations to be paid to individuals but to nonprofit groups, ......

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I could start a "black" rifle non-profit organization and if they see the word "black" they will send me some money worth a try while they are give something for nothin.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish Jessie "shakedown" Jackson would F off and die.

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, I've got a campaign slogan for him... "Davis... He puts the 'Demagogue' in Democrat!" That would be underrepresenting how bad he is, though, because unlike a demagogue nobody actually seems to listen to what he says. In that case I think his campaign advisors are doing a good job, because they know that if people actually heard the kind of crap that spews forth from the "big d"'s mouth. I remember one time a newspaper critisized his electric policies, and he said something along the lines of "You should be frickin' kissing my feet for keeping the power on" [stick]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top