Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2002 11:21:29 AM EDT
NOT cop bashing, asking seriously, so can the "anti-cop" responses...

You would think they would have to adhere to some kind of freaking physical fitness standard.  Seriously, WTF is going on?  Do they not have to requalify or test physically every year?  How do  some of them chase perps down on foot?

I'm asking seriously b/c I really can't fathom how a force would allow its officers to look so unprofessional & out-of-shape.  I understand that SOME officers lift regularly, some even take roids, to be able to deal w/ criminals who are often stronger & faster than them - but for the most part, most cops I see don't look like they've ever set foot in a gym!

As one example look at this link & then click on the picture: [url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020423/ap_on_re_us/atlanta_scooters_3&printer=1[/url]

This dept. is testing the Segway for use on patrols.  WTF IS WRONG W/ THE BICYCLE?  A bike is much faster than a Segway.  Oh, is it that you actually have to PEDAL a bike & thus excercise, rather than just stand on a Segway?  Why spend thousands on a scooter when the bikes will save the dept. money & help get the officers in shape?  Look at the 2 whales on the Segway's in the pic & then look at their oh-so-svelte colleague in the background.  Sad...
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020423/capt.1019582333.atlanta_segways_axf101.jpg[/img]

The cops on the Segways don't look fat to me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Look at the 2 whales on the Segway's in the pic & then look at their oh-so-svelte colleague in the background.  Sad...
View Quote

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020423/capt.1019582333.atlanta_segways_axf101.jpg[/img]

Uh... you call THAT fat?? That "whale" on the segway to the right looks like he'd choke-hold, hog-tie and pistol-whip you faster than you could say "Johnny Cochran".

Now Flubber-man there way in the back looks more like a mall-ninja so I'm not sure he's really a cop.

Your point is well taken, but the picture you use to illustrate it is not ideal.

Try using this one:

[img]http://www.chicagobutts.com/fat_cop.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont think cops are fat at a rate any higher than the general poulation.

I would love to see fitness standards put in place, like the Marine corp has. But every department that has tried it has been sued by the big labor unions.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you tasted a Krispy Kreme lately? Damn those things are good!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#5]
That sucks.  I don't understand why a police union - obviously made up of cops - would NOT want physical fitness standards.  I mean they can be flexible - a 50 yr old cop shouldnt have to meet the same exact standard as a 25 yr. old one.  Wouldn't they want something that increase their health, professionalism, ability to stay alive, etc?

Yeah, didn't notice the cop on on the right seems pretty well built.  Can't say the same for his female partner there.  The mall ninja, or "stadium ninja" at that, looks pretty envious in the background.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Sugar kills -- just put down the donut and back away slowly!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That sucks.  I don't understand why a police union - oviously made up of cops .
View Quote

I reasonable assumption, but wrong. Many cops are in unions that are mostly non cops. LAPD is considering going with the Teamsters. Lots of cops are AFL-CIO (sp?) union members.

So they same union that represent your local janitors probubly also represents your police force.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have you tasted a Krispy Kreme lately? Damn those things are good!!!
View Quote

hmm that explains a lot ....  you see the donut shops are basicly asian owned right?  well dont you see it? they donut shops are actually fronts for the asain teenage gangsters...  by fatning up the cops they stand a  better chance of getting away...

Its all so clear now..[whacko]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... doughnuts...[:D]

Too much chow & not enough PT - that's my reason.

P4(PorkyParaPyroPig)[pyro][^][heavy]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Because restaurants,donut shops, etc, give them discounted or free meals!  It's hard to pass up free/discounted food!!  They definitely need to adopt the same weight standards as the Corps!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Bottom Line..

Sit in a car 80% of the day.

Eat fast food, cuz thats all you have time for.

Work night shift, so your to frekin' tired to work out during the day.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Cops mirror the population at large. (pun intended) That said,  most depts do have  fitness standards, and test at least yearly.  However, even if you are grossly overweight the dept does not do much.  Trying to force someone to be fit means lawsuit time, usually backed by the AFL-CIO. A city up north just went thru that last year.  Paid out big bucks to a group that were denied promotions due to fitness standards. (BTW:  6'3", 44 years old,  200 lbs,  1 mile run in 5 minutes 22 seconds) As for as the 2 wheel thingies,  somebody must have gotten a federal grant.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Most physical fitness tests are for hiring only. After you're hired and finish the academy you are not tested unless you're going to be on a tac unit. At least around here that's how it is. And cops do mirror the population. My friends at work think I'm nuts for my fitness routines. I lift and run on alternating days, every day. But I've never been burned on a foot pursuit by a malrboro smoking 18 year old...yet!!! In fact I'm going for 3 miles now, see you all in about 25 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#16]
It isn't just police.  Take a good look around you.  In my office, there's more than a few people who are approaching critical mass.  Now think about when you go out to eat.  It's always about bigger portions and finishing it all off.  When cost is not a factor, do you opt for the 9 oz. steak?  Or the half pounder?  

On a show on the Discovery Channel that showcased big eaters, they used two phrases that I would have never put together.  One was [b]competitive eating[/b] and the other was [b]eating prowess[/b].  Eating prowess???  Athletic prowess, yes.  Sexual prowess, yes.  But eating prowess?  You've got to be kidding me.  They also show a nauseating 4th of July hotdog eating contest.  Truly appalling.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top