Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2002 1:42:34 AM EDT
Can you legally be a resident in more than one state?  

I will be moving to Utah in about a month.  They require that you be a resident for at least 5 years before you can obtain a conceal carry permit.  However, they except Alabama pistol permits which I currently have.  I was wondering if I could continue my residency in Alabama while living in Utah in order to loophole their CCW law.  At least until I've been in Utah for 5 years.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:10:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The ATF considers you a resident of a state if you spend at least one weekend a month in that state, from what I remember when I was looking at the rules.  You could keep an apartment or something in Alabama and get a state resident ID instead of a driver's liscense (you can only have one driver's liscense, a resident ID just says that you have an address in the state).

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:12:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The ATF considers you a resident of a state if you spend at least one weekend a month in that state, from what I remember when I was looking at the rules.  You could keep an apartment or something in Alabama and get a state resident ID instead of a driver's liscense (you can only have one driver's liscense, a resident ID just says that you have an address in the state).

Kharn
View Quote

Good!

I had been wondering the same thing regarding CA and AZ.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, this is all a moot point now.  I reread the qualifications for getting a CCW permit in Utah, and you don't even have to be a resident to qualify.  My mistake.  I assumed that when they wanted to know your 5 year residential and work history, you had to be a resident of Utah for at least 5 years.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top