BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2010 9:30:50 PM EDT
With regards to this thread:
http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1106548
(alaska oil reserves only 10% of what we thought they were)
Cant make hot - Im on mobile. Go for it if you want.

What would happen if you were to buy your last tank of gas tomorrow?  

If the gas trucks stop coming, can your "Plan" adjust for it?  

How long until chaos?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd invest in Huffy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought that kit off ebay that lets me put water in my tank to run my car. I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How long until chaos?

Nissan Leaf, Tesla, Coda. 100 percent electrics..coming to you soon.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How long until chaos?

ZOMG!  What if they stopped making toilet paper and beer?!?

We'd be in deep shit
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The thread this one spun off was bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Start rendering fat people into fuel and oil.
I figure that should take me well into the '60's or '70's before I die.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How long until chaos?

my shtf plan would start tomorrow. no gas  equals no food. Im out.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#8]
What shit do I give? I don't need fuel to survive, nor a vehicle for that matter.

The lack of fuel would be the least of my worries if that ever happened.

Such a scenario is highly unlikely anyways - that fuel would up and "disappear" forever.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Wood gasifier.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Cannibalism would start within a week.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd drive on alcohol.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a pot still and a corn farm?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#13]
1) Do my research

2) Buy a diesel truck that can achieve what I'm looking to accomplish off some guy for $100 (after all, hey, it's useless without fuel - I'm giving him a hell of a deal)

3) Bio-diesel

4) Own the french fry scented highways

_MaH
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What shit do I give? I don't need fuel to survive, nor a vehicle for that matter.

The lack of fuel would be the least of my worries if that ever happened.

Such a scenario is highly unlikely anyways - that fuel would up and "disappear" forever.

Well, the trucks and trains that stock stores with food and stuff wouldnt have any gas either.  I know its unlikely right now, but it wont last forever.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Since they're small, a deuce can carry a whole platoon of paramilitary youth.  And the truck itself can run on waste motor oil.

We'll cruise the highway, scavenging the motor oil from abandoned vehicles along the way.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Trucks stop rolling, stores empty in three days, breakdown of society within ten days, total chaos and mayhem shortly there after.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How long until chaos?

There's enough gas in the tanks around here for at least a yr.

Dog team and ski's would be my answer for most of the yr.
Than kayak or a sail boat.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Start making biodiesel stuff out of whatever oils I can find until I can find a way to make diesel out of something that will be available.

How do 7.3s handle biodiesel, like the stuff you make out of used cooking oils?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]
no moar gas?  Only thing i love as much as guns is going fast.  So yeah, that wouldnt go over too well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Let me see 'em.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#21]
three days and then total mass chaos.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Since they're small, a deuce can carry a whole platoon of paramilitary youth.  And the truck itself can run on waste motor oil.

We'll cruise the highway, scavenging the motor oil from abandoned vehicles along the way.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_KKSMATVGPec/S28NWH8fUaI/AAAAAAAADCc/wlrqDJSKSqw/s800/DSC_0723.JPG

I'll be right there with ya.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#23]
My Dad has about 80 of these in our pastures standing around and pooping a lot...

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I bought that kit off ebay that lets me put water in my tank to run my car. I'm good to go.

I sold 14,500 of these kits on Ebay and bought 500 barrels of gasoline. I'm GTG.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me see 'em.

You want to see the cannibals or the food?

Luckily, BBQ sauce has a long shelf life.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I do know the first peak oil event we had created a depression we never recovered from and we weren't able to find a replacement.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Man survived for thousands of years without gasoline engines.  We could do it again, it'll just suck ass.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My Dad has about 80 of these in our pastures standing around and pooping a lot...

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles26126.jpg

Yep. Without fuel and a vehicle these would be my primary means of transport.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Man survived for thousands of years without gasoline engines.  We could do it again, it'll just suck ass.  
Except without modern mechanical farming...we will lose over half the current population or more....steam engines wouldnt even be able to compensate..

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Short answer is: The base where I work in small high desert town in Southern California would no longer be viable.  We depend on a daily influx of food and supplies via tractor and trailer.

No trains to this area.

This town would die.  There's no way it could feed itself.  Without fuels, the base would die.  I work in aircraft RT&D.  Mojave/Edwards would be viable, as they're close to trains...but we're over 60 miles away from nearest train depot.

In order to survive, this town would need a train depot...but without the base, this town would die.

No gas tomorrow: Mass chaos and panic by noon.  I'd be OK, as I store enough to bug: I don't know another single person locally that does.

I suspect that I'd have to keep my gas to myself, as I'm sure local government would confiscate it for the greater good.

Quoted:

Not in our current numbers, and nowhere near our current lifestyle.  Two mass die-offs, first by starvation and second by disease (brought on by the corpses of millions of dead).

Smaller communities built around agrarian lifestyle for decades to follow.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#31]
If that happens do we still pay taxes?

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I suspect that I'd have to keep my gas to myself, as I'm sure local government would confiscate it for the greater good.

(in unison)
"The Greater Good"

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No, we as a species are to far advanced to be able to revert back to how people lived for the so called "thousands of years".

im not saying its not impossible but most likely from my guessssstomation about 75% of the world would have to die off
before people could actually live like they did back then
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not in our current numbers, and nowhere near our current lifestyle.  Two mass die-offs, first by starvation and second by disease (brought on by the corpses of millions of dead).

After having lived through the Phoenix fuel shortage, which was was caused by one of the two pipes coming into the area, I think that you are spot on.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:09:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles26126.jpg

What breed is that horse? I know it's a workhorse, but just looking at the pic it doesn't appear to be one of the large draft horse breeds, anyway good looking animal.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wood gasifier.

FTW
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:58:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Gee, what could we do with all this natural gas..................huh, it's not like we could ever compress it and retrofit vehicles and use that as fuel. I guess we are doomed...............
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Doesn't matter, the fed is full of shit on this.  There is a reason this suddenly came up since  the State of Alaska  has them in court on not letting us use our lands.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:01:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wood gasifier.

FTW

From my limited knowledge of such, you'd have to carry around a lot of fuel for this to be viable.  

I met with a fella who wanted a loan to construct a gassification system to feed electricity to a wood flooring plant.  A little research demonstrated that even with the plant's copious amount of waste wood, it wasn't economically viable.  Required several persons around the clock to continuously feed, and another couple persons for maintenance.

In a pinch they will work, but over the long term I'd think you'd want something more efficient.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:03:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Gee, what could we do with all this natural gas..................huh, it's not like we could ever compress it and retrofit vehicles and use that as fuel. I guess we are doomed...............

Yep, if all the oil was gone tomorrow, within a few years there would be the next best thing going.

It might be NG, it might be huge farms of switchgrass, it might be H2 tech, or something else.  But a huge vaccum (of demand) would be filled by the markets.

It wouldn't be quite as efficient as oil (that why we are using oil), but it wouldn't be the end of technology either.

It is just the economic law.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:10:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, if all the oil was gone tomorrow, within a few years there would be the next best thing going.

It might be NG, it might be huge farms of switchgrass, it might be H2 tech, or something else.  But a huge vaccum (of demand) would be filled by the markets.

It wouldn't be quite as efficient as oil (that why we are using oil), but it wouldn't be the end of technology either.

I'll say this again.  The feds are full of shit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:28:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Another economic law is "you gotta spend money to make money".  The economic dislocation caused by a sudden dramatic decrease in the oil supply would shitcan most plans to replace it.  Few would have enough labor surplus to the needs of staying alive to make the conversion, let alone the capital.  Widespread conversion is only possible if the decrease in the oil supply is gradual (which is likely what will happen, absent a tremendous disaster), but the OP asked about a sudden stop scenario.  For every one person converting their car, or demanding the government convert their car, there'd be a hundred scrambling for/demanding food above all else.  

Imagine a sudden stop of oil, causing a tremendous depression, and the economy has enough resources to do one, but not both: A) convert enough critical vehicles to maintain a technological base sufficient to support us at an acceptable level of poverty in the long term, or B) prevent mass starvation now.  Starving people would push both the market and the government into supplying food now, and try to hope their way through tomorrow.  Most would just get scragged the next year when manual farming with soft ex-accountants and Wal-Mart cashiers fails to produce more than a very small fraction of the yields formerly produced by mechanized farming.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:45:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

my shtf plan would start tomorrow. no gas  equals no food. Im out.

Back to the steam era.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:47:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll say this again.  The feds are full of shit.

Dude they're gonna strap you to a gurney talkin' bout we always been at war with Eurasia.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:48:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It might be NG, it might be huge farms of switchgrass, it might be H2 tech, or something else. But a huge vaccum (of demand) would be filled by the markets.

Another economic law is "you gotta spend money to make money". The economic dislocation caused by a sudden dramatic decrease in the oil supply would shitcan most plans to replace it. Few would have enough labor surplus to the needs of staying alive to make the conversion, let alone the capital. Widespread conversion is only possible if the decrease in the oil supply is gradual (which is likely what will happen, absent a tremendous disaster), but the OP asked about a sudden stop scenario. For every one person converting their car, or demanding the government convert their car, there'd be a hundred scrambling for/demanding food above all else.

Imagine a sudden stop of oil, causing a tremendous depression, and the economy has enough resources to do one, but not both: A) convert enough critical vehicles to maintain a technological base sufficient to support us at an acceptable level of poverty in the long term, or B) prevent mass starvation now. Starving people would push both the market and the government into supplying food now, and try to hope their way through tomorrow. Most would just get scragged the next year when manual farming with soft ex-accountants and Wal-Mart cashiers fails to produce more than a very small fraction of the yields formerly produced by mechanized farming.

I didn't say it would be bad.  But it wouldn't mean going back to 1000AD technology either.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Start rendering fat people into fuel and oil.
I figure that should take me well into the '60's or '70's before I die.  

Nah - let's start with stupid people; it would take us further out than that, but unfortunately, you wouldn't be there to see it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:52:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Short answer is: The base where I work in small high desert town in Southern California would no longer be viable.  We depend on a daily influx of food and supplies via tractor and trailer.

No trains to this area.

This town would die.  There's no way it could feed itself.  Without fuels, the base would die.  I work in aircraft RT&D.  Mojave/Edwards would be viable, as they're close to trains...but we're over 60 miles away from nearest train depot.

In order to survive, this town would need a train depot...but without the base, this town would die.

No gas tomorrow: Mass chaos and panic by noon.  I'd be OK, as I store enough to bug: I don't know another single person locally that does.

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be more than a year or so before the government rolled out some heretofore top-secret, viable alternative energy source. Such an event like the OP describes would be the catalyst.

To put it more clearly: we are innovators, and I highly suspect we'd find a suitable replacement for oil pretty quickly. In fact, we'd probably discover that such a replacement was already closer than we knew.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:28:34 AM EDT
[#49]
I'd have to go back to driving sled dogs.

Still have the sleds, carts and equipment.

The dogs are easy enough to come by.

GM
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Why would you believe anything this government puts out?  They are pushing an agenda here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top