Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 4:05:07 PM EDT
Post em up
Mine was a little trailer in South Georgia. I distinctly remember my father and I going in, and the walls were lined with rifles in the little trailer and pistols in the case.
We walked in and I realized that this was "man stuff" as I looked around in wonder and amazement. My father asked the man if he had a stevens crackshot.
I honestly do not remember the reply as I was in awe of the goodies before me. Well a few weeks later I was killing the hell out of the local tree rats
I still remember the smell of gun oil and the fact that my father was now ushering me into manhood.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The first one I remember was in a small town in TX. It was a small little shop, but my mom took me there to look around. We looked at a couple of rifles they had, this was before the ban, so there were a couple of AR's and AK's, and I remember wanting to get an AR because it was what our military used, and I didn't like the AK at all.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The smell of cosmoline and mildewy surplus shit. Good stuff from the Nam' era, too.

The smell used to stick to you for hours.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The smell of cosmoline and mildewy surplus shit. Good stuff from the Nam' era, too.

The smell used to stick to you for hours.

I fuckin love that smell.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The first one I remember was in a small town in TX. It was a small little shop, but my mom took me there to look around. We looked at a couple of rifles they had, this was before the ban, so there were a couple of AR's and AK's, and I remember wanting to get an AR because it was what our military used, and I didn't like the AK at all.

Well there were no AK's the first time I went 1974 but had I known what I know now I would have told the old man I wanted an M-16

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I walked in, I was 18 or 19 and was looking to buy a shotgun.  Now I was a little shy so maybe I looked like a shoplifter and the guy behind the counter with a giant "Dirty Harry" gun on his side says to me...."Hey boy, it is easier to get in here than to get out."

I didn't go into another gun store until I was in the Army and about 22.  LOL
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I walked in, I was 18 or 19 and was looking to buy a shotgun.  Now I was a little shy so maybe I looked like a shoplifter and the guy behind the counter with a giant "Dirty Harry" gun on his side says to me...."Hey boy, it is easier to get in here than to get out."

I didn't go into another gun store until I was in the Army and about 22.  LOL

Damn
ETA: Nice avatar
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#7]
There were 2 that I could ride my bicycle to.  My Mom would have been mad if she knew I rode to the one that was further but I did not care.  I stood and looked at all the handguns behind glass and all the rifles and shotguns in the racks.  They treated me nice and I listened in on a few conversations.  It was a magical time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#8]
For me, it wasn't until I was about 24, looking for a G23 since I heard about the awesome power of the 40 cal.  Pretty unimpressive and routine experience.

What I really remember is taking my daughter two years ago to a gun shop when I was on the hunt for a cz 452.  The gun shop in the next town over typically had all the new CZ's you could ever want and a rolling inventory of used.  Today, I still remember her asking if I liked the used Style model that had nice glass for a real deal and she kept telling me how nice it is.  She kept telling me that she wanted one just like it when she was an adult, which the to her she kept saying was 34 years old.  I remember having the discussion at the store and even until today of what to do if she ever found a gun (don't touch it and go tell mommy or daddy).  I made it mine and even today she asks if it's still my favorite gun.  All I can think is that is sure is.  It's not even the gun, it’s the experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top