User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Loaded and chambered,safety on.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
For me, it's a safety thing.

If you pick up a gun in my house you can safely bet any amount you want it's got a loaded mag and chamber.

That way there's no "guessing" as to the state and nobody ever even "thinks" it's not loaded.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you pick up a gun in my house you can safely bet any amount you want it's got a loaded mag and chamber.

That way there's no "guessing" as to the state and nobody ever even "thinks" it's not loaded.

Rule number one.

I modified a serpa holster to fit under my nightstand. Holds my glock with one in the pipe. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pretty much my reasoning for keeping them all loaded.

You treat them as they are all loaded anyway so why not keep them that way.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#5]
What I can reach from my pillow at night:
1911 with light attached, in condition one
870 with light attached, in condition one
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
How many of you guys keep you gun loaded at night . i keep mine on the night stand with the mag in it but nothing in the chamber. thats my preference. what are yalls and why?

I have multiple loaded guns in my room at night.
...guess I'm weird like that.

You aren't the only one.  I have 3 loaded handguns (G19, P32, and S&W 686 - all with rounds in the chambers), 3 AR's with PMAG's and empty chambers, and 2 870's which are cruiser ready, in my room.

But, only some of those (G19, P32, 1 AR and 1 870) are really readily accessible.  The others would take a moment or two to get to.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine:

Glock on the night stand

Mossy 590 under bed

Wife Units:

Ruger LCP on night stand

BCM AR under bed

all ready to rock

My shtf AR is in the safe in my office with a mag inserted chamber empty

i spend most of my time in my home office (sadly)

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The more I fiddle with it, the more chance there is of something going wrong. I keep mine condition1 at all times rather than add another step to my drill, but I don't sleep-shoot, so I'm not worried about that.

+ 1  - that's another problem with condition 3.   It results with more messing with gun  - increasing the probability of AD.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#9]
currently condition 1 9mm bushmaster ar Natassia with eo/light leaning against wall next to my pillow (cuz i like it thats why)..wifey side of bed dpms entry with mag in but not chambered or locked (she's paranoid about such things)

big orange 870 under bed within my reach with 4 buckshot loads o fun loaded but not racked..

twin dremmeled innertube gripped hipoint c9's in mattress sammich in condition 1 (yin and yan..and i trust them both)

g26 with mag loaded but not chambered on nightstand with holster (carry piece)
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you keep yours chambered, be careful where it points.  It'll probably cook off in the event of a house fire.

Ammo cooking off in a magazine won't hurt much.

if there's a fire it's going with me

if i'm not getting out- I don't really care where it's pointing

Question is what happens if you aren't there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you keep yours chambered, be careful where it points.  It'll probably cook off in the event of a house fire.

Ammo cooking off in a magazine won't hurt much.

if there's a fire it's going with me

if i'm not getting out- I don't really care where it's pointing

Question is what happens if you aren't there.

then it's with me

I don't go anywhere without it (another reason I won't move back to NY)
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#12]
?  I carry.

But not my nightstand gun.  Even if it were small enough, the TLR-1 would be an issue...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Any weapon kept handy for self-defense has a round chambered.  For the bedside, I keep a loaded revolver for simplicity's sake.  If I am awakened from deep sleep, I don't want to have to remember to wrack the slide before hand or to clear a jam.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

?  I carry.

But not my nightstand gun.  Even if it were small enough, the TLR-1 would be an issue...

well, upstate is much better than LI was for that (to and from range/hunting)

and I agree if you have a separate nightstand gun then carry gun you need to make sure where it's going to be pointing - my carry goes from my belt - to next to me on the couch - to next to me on the nightstand - back to my belt.

My G35 is in the drawer - condition 3 (not in a holster = no round in chamber)

also- if I had kids this would be a bit different also - bedside lock boxes and everything else in the safe
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Condition one at all times, everywhere in the house.

Absolutely, I don't have time to chamber a round.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Loaded, chambered, hammer down if a double action auto...
Loaded unchambered if single action or a shotgun...

Don't get your panties in a wad, it's just a personal preference,  fumbling for a chambered Glock (worst case) in a drawer in the middle of the night  is not my idea of a safe practice.  I'd rather chamber a round once I have the grip firmly in my palm and muscle memory takes over.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Loaded, not chambered in my night stand.

My dog will wake up and alert me in time to get it and assume kick ass position.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't take the gas out of the car at night either.

This
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#19]
The Glock always has one in the chamber. If I've got my AK sitting out it doesn't. Seems like it would be more or less the same effort to rack one in as to take the safety off.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#20]

condition 1
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't know if condition 2 applies to a SA/DA but I keep my HK 45C and a spare mag next to me.  Wife has her LCP in her purse/holster on her side.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Loaded handgun (on me or in my office) with 1 in the chamber.

Loaded shotgun in the bedroom with 1 in the chamber.

If someone kicks in my door I don't want to have to bother with loading a round before I make him dead.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How many of you guys keep you gun loaded at night . i keep mine on the night stand with the mag in it but nothing in the chamber. thats my preference. what are yalls and why?

loaded and one in the chamber, what if you wake up to a guy litterally standing over you. You are already behind the 8 ball, why add racking the slide to the disadvantage.

J-

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#24]

A gun in the house is always loaded.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I keep handguns chambered with the caveat that I have Safariland and Serpa retention holsters mounted in various locations in the house.  I'm happy with condition 1 for a holstered weapon.  Rifles or "loose" guns are condition 3 in or out of the safe.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#26]
My Armalite M4 has a 300rd hi cap in it at all times.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#27]
The shotgun next to my bed has 4 in the tube and an empty chamber.  I'd like to keep one in the chamber but it's literally inches from my head and my arms sometimes flail at night.  I'd use the safety but experience has taught me that when I'm tired I tend to forget safeties exist but racking the shotgun comes natural.  I don't intend to scare anyone by racking the slide, it's just a lot easier to remember to do when I get woken up by a bump in the night than turn off the safety.  Half the time when I go to pick it up I grab the forearm and push it down before picking it up so a round is chambered just by picking the gun up anyway.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That HAS to be a heavy rifle to weild under pressure.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#29]
At home: Full magazine in but empty chamber...kids & all that...

Out and about: Full mag & loaded chamber, ready to go.

Most of the time, it's a XD45 Compact but sometimes it's a SIG-Sauer P228...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if I could buy a 300rd mag, and what it costs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I live in a nice neighborhood and have a good security system; I don't have to keep mine loaded all times.

That's funny, and sad, at the same time.

The only time my carry gun is unloaded is during cleaning.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if I could buy a 300rd mag, and what it costs.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Don't get your panties in a wad, it's just a personal preference,  fumbling for a chambered Glock (worst case) in a drawer in the middle of the night  is not my idea of a safe practice.  I'd rather chamber a round once I have the grip firmly in my palm and muscle memory takes over.

Good point....
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#34]
No kids in the house.

All HD guns are kept in condition one.

I doubt the BG is going wait for me to load and make ready.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I live in a nice neighborhood and have a good security system; I don't have to keep mine loaded all times.

That's funny, and sad, at the same time.

The only time my carry gun is unloaded is during cleaning.

Step one of cleaning a gun: Load another gun.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I keep an AR with the chamber empty and a loaded mag inserted leaning against my nightstand,also a loaded revolver on my nightstand.When I leave the house everything is unloaded and locked away,I usually don't unload my carry gun,but I do lock it up at night.I've had guns stolen before,so if I'm not using it,it gets locked up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point....

I keep mine in its holster, so that is a non issue.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#38]
SP101 ready to rock between the mattress.

G19 on top of gun safe ready to rock in my office/gun room next to bedroom.

All my AR's and AK's have fully loaded mags but mags are sitting on the top shelf right above rifles, those are more for if something is going down outside and I have time to get to safe.

I have a 1500 sq ft ranch style home so handguns are a better fit for me inside.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Loaded and chambered.

+safety off with full cocked
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Loaded with one in the pipe.
Because I dont want to be fumbling around with the action with someone bearing down on me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#41]
I keep anything I may depend on loaded. Just bought an LTC 1911 for my carry gun, and it is cocked and locked. I also keep my ar15 chambered with safety on, as well as about four other pistols around the house.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#42]
My daily carry handgun is always chambered.  It's also my bedside weapon, to get me to my AR, which is unchambered, hammer-down, full mag.  I do this for a couple of reasons:

1.  If I don't have the time to chamber a round, I have bigger problems.  Plus, I already have the pistol in hand if need be,  I know it gives up some tactical advantage in the sound, but my squeaky floor will give me away long before a charging handle.

2.  I tinker/dryfire/and HD practice run with my AR a good deal.  I don't like to constantly chamber rounds, even if I rotate them.  Primer dimple concerns me more than setback.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Both on night stand

XD 45 in holster with a round chambered

LCR loaded and in holster

STG-556 Mag inserted, empty chamber, leaned against the wall

Puma 92 loaded, empty chamber, between bed and nightstand

I figure that set up gives my a second to figure out what's going on without wasting too much time.    

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#44]
1911 on my side of the bed, full mag but no rounds chambered
g19 on wifes side in the same conditioN

I will not allow a chambered round in my house, I have never kept a gun with a round chambered. If you feel that I'm in error for this that is your opinion, but since I have kids I feel this is the best and safest way to keep them IMO.
not to mention I may take my 1911 or the G19 with me when I go out and I dont want to have to unchamber a round every time. then rechamber a round when I return home.

in illiannoys you cannot have a loaded weapon in your car/truck etc..
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Loaded revolver on every floor 24/7.

you leave your guns laying around on the floor?

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Beretta 1201fp w/7 rds of 00 tap
Glock 21sf w/14rds of sxt rangers.

All loaded with rounds in the chamber.

...But then there's also my 2 pitts and a long fatal funnel before you get to me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Guns are icky

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#48]
both of my RPG's are loaded as is our 30mm canon
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#49]
holstered.....chambered......bedside
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
IMHO nothing is more useless than an unloaded weapon.  may as well have a rock.

one of these days first post isnt gonna win

today is not that day
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top