Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2002 1:43:55 PM EDT
After reading a post here about dirt bikes, I got to thinking...

I would have alot of fun with one of those!

I have no experience with them, other than a little bit of time on a minibike, but I think the land below my house (I live on top of a hill) would be PERFECT for it.

I am willing to spend about $3,000 for one and I need to know what would be best for me...
It needs to be quiet - there are some houses  
 above that area and I really don't want to
 bother them.
It needs to be powerful, able to go up pretty
 steep hills, to get back to my house.
It should be pretty fast, there are alot of
 trails to go on and some open fields, and I
 dont want to have to step up in the near
 future.

I guess for that price range I can't get all I want, but I may be willing to add a little more, not much more than 5,000 total. Thanks

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a lot of questions to be asked such as what exactly you want to do with it. . . jumps, existing trails, virgin trails, occasional street etc. I would do some research on the web (like you're doing now) and take your time. You can find some pretty nice used bike out there in that range but, UNLESS YOU KNOW BIKES, IT'S WORTH PAYING A LOCAL DEALER 20 - 60 DOLLARS TO HAVE THEM CHECK IT OVER. For a quiet bike, a 4 stroke would be best. Check out a "Dual Sport" such as Honda's XR series of bikes. Wear a helmet and enjoy!

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I go quite a bit. I've always had a bike since a young age but, i never competed. When I was younger I was alot more aggressive but, still not very good. However, i've always enjoyed it and still do. Now I just put around and try to ride wheelies.
Here is my bike:
[url]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Boomholzer/Yamaha.jpg[/url]

Ive spent alot of time with bike and motors. I will offer any advice you need.

Quiet with torque at low RPMs, big hills = 4 stroke.
If your riding in a urban area, you might consider a small dual-purpose although if you want off-road only this is a poor choice
What is your age, height, weight, experience, etc.??

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey jrj397, are you looking for a 2 stroke? Where in PA are you.  My friend has a '98 RM 125 he is looking to sell because he is going to buy a '02 YZ.  It has Bills pipe and silencer, jet kit and tons of other stuff. It is tuned right and the thing hauls.  You probably want something bigger since you have to really ride a 125 to have fun, but for the condition the bike is in and how fast it is it would be a good deal.  Not sure exactly how much but I can ask him if you want.  Post it here or E-mail me if you are interested.  He is in Leesburg, so you can see how far it is from you.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#4]
For the needs and price range you described, I would look at some 3-4 year old mid-bore 4 strokes such as a Honda XR400 or Yamaha WR400. The Honda XR is more of a play bike while the Yamaha WR is a deritive of the motocross bred YZ.

Either of them can be converted to be street legal if you ever wanted to expand their usefulness.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Husqvarna.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree that for what you want to do, a 4 stroke would be best.  Don't spend a boatload of money either, 'cause if you are like a lot of us, you are going to want to jump and pop wheelies and you will probably throw it on the ground a few times.  

I also suggest a mid bore Honda XR series.  You should be able to find a good running 80's or early 90's XR for $1000 or less.  I have never spent more than $1200 bucks on a dirtbike, and I have had (since 1983)
73 Yamaha MX100
76 Yamaha YZ125
79 Honda XL175 (same as XR but with speedo and lights)
79 Yamaha YZ250
81 Honda CR125
83 Suzuki RM125
90 Honda CR250....ported, piped, etc.

Get a damn good helmet, and buy it NEW.  You must have a full coverage helmet, and spend the extra to make sure it not just DOT approved, but Snell approved as well.  HJC makes decent helmets for the money, I have 3 of them.  That, goggles, and good moto gloves are MINIMUM, you should also pickup some used boots and padded moto pants.  The hip padding will save you some bruising!

Setup like this, and you will have tons of fun, being as safely protected as your ball sack will allow, and you won't lose a whole lot of money if your interest wanes.

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Yamaha makes a 4 stroke in about every size now. they will be alot better in the long run as far as maintenece and lasting durability.

If you haven't ridden before, take a course and/or start out on something smaller (125-250)

Also check out 4-wheelers, there are some really reasnabley priced sport quads out there that are alot of fun!! I have a Polaris Trailblazer 250 that is easy enough for the GF to ride, yet will take me anywhere I care to go too.(3000 new) I help manage a motocross park around here, it is a great sport w/ great ppl

[img]http://www.polarisindustries.com/img/atv/01atvsprttrailblazer_actnxx.jpg[/img]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/IAJack%2FDCP%5F0008%2EJPG[/img]

Later

IAJack

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
i worked at a bike shop for about 2 years and had alot of time riding all sorts of bikes. i worked in the parts dept for service and had alot of discussions with the mechanics and etc...  of all the bikes i rode and all the parts ordered and all the work that was done to all sorts of bikes, including the mechanics choice for an all around great bike, i'd recommend looking at the honda xr400.  not loud, unless you want it to be, tons of accessories, great reliability and so much power!  i loved riding this bike, it was the fastest one out there and very easy to ride.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll second, or is it third now the Honda XR 400.   I believe the make an XR 200 and an XR 250 R.  They also have a new water cooler 4 stroke that I guess is tring to compete with Ymaha's WR 425.  The Yamaha is a a lot lighter than the Honda and has more power but probably going to cost you more.  It also comes in a WR 250 which sounds like it would be the best bike for you.

[url]www.bajadesigns.com[/url] has all kinds of stuff for them.  I got the XR 650 exhaust baffel in my XR 400 and removed the intake snorkle, rejet the carb and replced the stock air filter with a UNI and it really rips.  I put a 2 1/4" exhuast sweep on the tail and it's just as quiet as stock.

Like everyone else said if you got a $50 brian get a $50 helmet.  I use a Bell Moto.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top