Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2002 6:28:23 PM EDT
We live in a rehab loft in the heart of riot country of downtown Cincinnati. It's a pretty rough neighborhood but we like the loft and we have guns.

So, about 7pm Mrs. Bendover was sitting on the couch enjoying a tuna salad sandwich and I was at the far end of the loft in the computer pit. Our front door swung wide open and someone just walked right in. I could not see who it was because the sun was bright behind them. As I reach for the sidearm on my desk, I hear a timid female voice apologizing profusely and asking where 1213A was at... my annoying rave promoter/DJ neighbors above us. My eyes finally adjusted to the back light of the sun and I see some very young ditzy blonde girl.

Mrs. Bendover was really gruff and told her to get the fuck out. The girl started to take off and just leave the door wide open. Tweety yells "CLOSE THE DOOR YOU DUMB BITCH".

In all fairness, I should have locked the door but we had been in and out from the porch since the weather has been so nice and you have to be buzzed into the building through the electronic security door in the front of the building. Be that as it may, this is about as close to pulling the trigger that I have ever come. I was shaking really bad afterwards because I know how close I had come. If I had not heard her voice to know it was a stupid dumb chick, I would have probably squeezed off at least one warning shot.

I went upstairs and knocked on my neighbor's door after I collected myself. Some other bimbo answered the door and I asked if Josh was there. He comes around the corner with the girl and I started shaking again when I saw her. She had to have been all of 18-19 years old. She was my neighbor's hair stylist there to cut his hair. He had instructed her to just come in his door and that is why she just walked right in. I told her how close she had come to getting blown away and suggested that when she is in the West End she should really knock on people's doors before barging in. They all got real pale when they saw how shaken I was and realized that I was not joking around. I was cool with them and told them that I wasn't pissed but that they should really really really not let their friends wander around the building walking into people's places.

Now, before everyone starts jumping on me saying "See guns are bad and you could have killed that girl"... it could just as easily been a real home invasion. I was prepared and used my head even in a scary situation. I would not have hesitated to shoot if it had been a real threat and I would have been prepared.

Even though - I should have been more prepared by locking the door. That mistake could have cost someone their life tonight. Hers our ours depending on the situation.

Very very very very scary and now I have the shits. Wait.... that's the BW3's I had for lunch...

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have done the same thing if a person just blindly walks in, but I keep the door locked at all times so it wouldn't happen.  
Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not going to rag on you or anything, but I don't think you should focus on the fact that you forgot to lock the door.

Instead, it should be permanently branded into your mind that TARGET ID IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!! Had she not spoken and you hadn't heard the timid voice, you say that you would have fired "at least a warning shot" - and we both know maybe shot her. You would have regretted it for the rest of your life and maybe have gone to prison. You have to SEE the target very clearly and POSITIVELY ID it first!

Remember, it's worth putting yourself and even your family in more danger to ensure that you don't shoot the wrong target. It could be your mother or child that surprises you next time.

Glad everything worked out ok - don't sweat it just learn for next time.

Dave

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad you kept your senses and didn't kill her.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I can tell you that from this experience I do not envy cops in the slightest. It's almost like you are damned if you do and you are damned if you don't. Had that been an aggressor, a moment's hesitation for target acquisition could have been a disaster. Had I shot without clearly seeing the girl it would have definately been a disaster. It's an incredibly sobering experience and definately one to be learned from.

lock the door.... lock the door.... lock the door....

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Why was your door unlocked? You must layer your security. It begins with locking your doors.

You live around clueless f*cks!

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
No offense, but you don't seem to have learned  the most important lessons that you should have from this experience:

1. Do NOT fire "warning shots." Period. If you have received training that told you to do this, you have received BAD training.

2. NEVER shoot if you are NOT SURE. You say "Had that been an aggressor, a moment's hesitation for target acquisition could have been a disaster." Think about that for a minute.
A moment's hesitation was also what kept you from killing an innocent teenaged girl. What if it had been a 5 year old kid? Always be sure of your target and beyond isn't a cliche, it's a rule set in stone.

You may want to think you do, but you don't live in Kabul. You cannot afford to shoot first and ask questions later, because you are not going to get to ask the questions later. They'll be coming from the big guy who needs a new bitch at your new home.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad all turned out OK.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Well this is a good example of a young blonde hottie gone bad...[;)]

Secure those hatches!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not going to be rough, but a few pointers:

Aside from locking the door, you were perfectly fine in producing a weapon. Warning shots are bad, though. Don't ever fire your weapon unless you intend to stop the threat, and the only way to stop it is deadly force.

As far as your reaction afterwards, it is okay. This sounds like the first time you have ever pointed a weapon at someone. This is a natural reaction. You now have a little bit of experience. I hope you never have a "next time," but if you do, you'll probably do better and stay calmer for the experience.

You get used to it, after a while.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Always lock the door. Always wear your seat belt. Always DOUBLE check to make sure the weapon is not loaded.
View Quote

I refuse to wear my seatbelt, Officer Paul, and you should know that there is always one in the pipe within reach.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Mrs. Bendover? Does the pizza delivery guy call her that?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#16]
All very good advice. No I have never been in this situation before so it was a sobering experience. You are right who said warning shots are bad. I know that but my instinct split reaction was three thoughts:

1. wait to determine the threat
2. shoot to kill
3. shoot to scare

In a split second all three of those went through my mind (in addition to a lot of 'what the holy hell??' and 'I can't believe this is happening').

Fortunately I paused to determine the threat further but then I also wonder if there would ever be a time when that would be to my detriment... ie. if there was a real threat would I be capable of shooting to kill after weighing the situation quickly.

Quoted:
Mrs. Bendover? Does the pizza delivery guy call her that?
View Quote

I sure the hell hope not, but I have a time or two. Actually it was more like an instruction than a name... "Hey Mrs... bend over"
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well this is a good example of a young blonde hottie gone bad...[;)]

Secure those hatches!
View Quote

She was quite the hottie. I would have hated messing that piece up.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#19]
so now they and anyone they tell, know that you're armed.... I'm not sure about that one..

glad though you didn't shoot
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Personally, I thought the actions and reactions of Mrs. Bendover were admirable. Especially reminding the rude clueless split-tail to shut the door behind her.
   I hear alot of people riding Mr. Bendover because of what he was thinking. (warning shot) In reality (what he actually did) he did not react until he identified the intruder.
   I think he reacted well. I am sure a LEO would have handled it differently due to their training but give the guy some credit for using good common sense. LEO's unfortunately have to handle difficult situations like this all the time and know what to do. Civilians have to rely on common sense.
   Personally, if I was in that situation. I would have had her spread eagle on the floor and searched her for weapons. You did say she was good looking, right?

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I feel for ya, dude.

A few years ago, some friends and I took a road trip.  Two people I knew (a married couple) and a friend of theirs I'd never met.  We got two hotel rooms, and of course I got stuck with the ugly single guy.  He went out to some dance club while I caught up on my sleep.  Around 2am, he comes through the door half drunk, and the first thing he sees is me grabbing for my gun and diving behind the bed. [:D]

Fortunately, my .357 was 600 miles away.  Even so, I woulda ID'ed him before I opened fire ("I promise!").  Gotta remember, check your target before shooting. . . .
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#23]
BenDover,

Let me first say, good job on not shooting her.

Secondly I wasn't there so I have no idea what happened, but.....

In my county/state we cannot use deadly force on someone unless we are in fear for our life or the life of someone else, or are in fear of great bodily injury, (i.e. someone coming at you with a chainsaw)

If someone breaks into your house you cannot shoot them.

If they are carrying out your T.V., you cannot shoot them.

If they are in your house, and upon seeing you they flee, you cannot shoot them.

If they are in your house, and upon seeing you they pull a knife/gun/weapon THEN you can shoot them.

With society the way it is today, have no doubt that a jury will convict you if they do not feel that you were in fear of your life when you shot the home invader.

For future reference though, if you do happen to shoot a home invader......"When the guy saw me, he reached for the waistband of his pants. I yelled for him to put his hands up and he kept reaching for his waist. I thought he was going for a gun, so I fired."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top