Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2002 3:20:17 PM EDT
Well peeps, i am in the market for a camcorder.  I dont know a damn thing about them except that they are expensive.  I think the best ones have the "DV" disc in them.  Wich i believe is a tape.  I recently purchased some land and i expect to start building a house this summer.  I would like to film it as it is being built.  I want to tape other things aswell.  Here's some questions......

1)Is the "DV" type the best?

2)Can i download things/events that i have recorded on my computer and burn it to a cd?  This is the most important to me.

3)Are there any camcorders that use a disc or card?  In other words, anything other than a tape?

I have been looking on [url]www.cnet.com[/url] for information.  As we all know, first hand experience is the best information that a person can get.  Wich is why i am asking yall.

Appreciate you help.....as always.

thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Sony PC-9 mini DV. It is by far the best out there.

Check out its rating on CNET in the digital camcorder section.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
my info is a bit dated, but do your homework on what you purchase...

a camcorder that will do still shots is handy

image stabilization is great and I highly recomend it!

the more OPTICAL zoom, the better

batteries are VERY important.  LiIon are best.

a GOOD sturdy tripod comes in handy.

For burning to cd on your PC:

firewire compatability  (you will need a firewire card for your PC too)

lots of ram on your computer (512MB is max for win98/ME..(IIRC))

a good cd burner

As always, learn to use your camera/corder BEFORE you need it!!!!  that way you won't miss or delete something of 'value'

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, i like that pc9 cam.  I also like the tv17.  I am partial to sony anyway.  I will probobly buy a cam in the next few weeks..

thank you
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Before you buy, BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the camcorder is compatible with your computer.

A former coworker bought an expensive JVC.  But because Microsoft and JVC are squabbling over who should write the driver software, the camera wouldn't work with his MS-Windows computer.  JVC told him to call Microsoft and complain.  Microsoft told him that it was JVC's responsibility.

Most stores have "no return" policies on camcorders (they're expensive, and the stores got tired of people "buying" one for two days to tape their kids' birthday parties, then returning the camcorders), so if you find out afterwards, you're screwed.

Read the video-camera boards, POST QUESTIONS ASKING ABOUT THE SPECIFIC MODEL AND VERSION OF WINDOWS, and be sure that you get replies from enough people that they're probably not talking out of their asses.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]
where are those board located?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:53:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should be able to find them through Google.  I'll email him to ask which ones he recommends.

BTW, he ended up getting a Sony, which worked.  I don't know the model number, though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You should be able to find them through Google.  I'll email him to ask which ones he recommends.

BTW, he ended up getting a Sony, which worked.  I don't know the model number, though.
View Quote

Thanks....
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Check[url=www.epinions.com/elec-Video-Camcorders-All] here[/url] too.
View Quote

gotcha.......thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot and edit video for a living.

I can tell you that Sony and Canon DV cameras are the best right now.

As far as editing on your computer, the advice has been spot on. get a nice cheapo firewire card like the ADS Pyro (about $75.00). Some of the Pyro cards will come w/Adobe Premiere 6.0 bundled  with the card.

Premiere 6.0 has native support for batch capturing your footage and spitting the result back out onto tape.

The best thing is since it is DV native you won't take any hit in quality.

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#11]
If all you are going to do is shoot some video, edit it, mabe add some sound and transitions, titles, and send the whole thing back to tape, video CD or DVD, I'd go with a Sony DSR-TRV-120 or recent equivalent, and an [I know, I know] a new iMac from Apple. The Sony camera is a Digital 8, takes standard 8mm tapes, can convert from analog, & has firewire in/out. Runs around $600. iMovie is the simplest way to edit your video, is fast, easy to learn, and is only available on a Mac. The new iMacs have all you need to edit the video, no extra software, and if you opt for the DVD burner option, it comes with the DVD making software too. Cost about $1500. Total DV package $2100. And your quality is good enough for boradcoast, or that independed film project you've wanting to do.

Just my 2¢
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:08:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I am starting to lean toward the Sony DCR-TRV17.
When i burn the footage that i have taped, will the format be an MPEG or what?

Thanks for all your help dudes........"26" out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top