Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 5:55:08 AM EDT
Last week a couple co-workers and I went to an indoor range at lunch to do a little paper punching.

A co-working had just picked up a new Springfield Loaded Champion and wanted to get a couple rounds through it and test it out. The first few magazines it was having some feeding issues
and he took the Springfield out tot he front counter to have one of the gun smiths on site take a look at it to make sure that everything was in working order. They came back into the range area and the gun smith ran two magazines through it with out issue.

A few minutes later my friend was back at the line, I was about 3 feet behind him when he took his first shot back at the line. I felt a sting in my left arm. Felt like hot brass at first, then I looked down at my arm and I was painting the range floor with a stream of blood. I but my finger over the stream and applied pressure and exited the range. The owner busted out the first aid kit and we put a strip of gauze with a couple wraps of tape and I was off to the ER.

Police were called at the ER because the doctor had to report it as a firearm related injury. LE that showed up were very cool and very thorough in the questioning and ended up reporting it as an accident. no kidding.

Anyway, the Xray shows that there is a 5mm piece of metal in my arm and they were not able to remove it with out making a bigger hole to get it out. It looks like the rim off the brass case.
My friend has sent the firearm back to Springfield at their request and he is awaiting their review.

Long story short, (too late I know) wear your eye protection all the time people. A few seconds before this happened I was kneeing down picking up brass which would have put my head right in that path. I was wearing my shooting glasses as I always do but this really drives that message home.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top