Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/12/2010 6:27:15 PM EDT
ill be first to say it, in before thread poll

I've been into AR's for 4 years now. I'm now satisfied with basic knowledge and have the equipment that I'm starting to look into taking at least one carbine class. I was just wondering if anyone here feels they are competent without taking one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm taking my first this spring.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never taken a course. I would like to once I get a better AR and have some more free cash.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I took the 4 day rifle class at front sight last year and I had a blast....
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Took a 5 day course with BlackWater last year.  A one day class with MDTS & planning to take another 2 day carbine class this Nov.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have taken several.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never taken a class, sadly.    I have watched all the Magpul Dynamic Carbine video's and have been working on drills myself, but I think being in an actual class would be a great learning tool.   Unfortunately, working 6 days a week kinda puts a damper on classes right now because I have to drive a good ways to get to any classes.  

I keep promising myself that one day I will make the arrangements and go, so hopefully in '11 I can get it lined up and go.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#8]
No, but I have taken a 2 day handgun course.

I feel that is of better use being one is much more likely to use a handgun in self defense than a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Classes from top-tier instructors are like potato chips.

You can't have just one.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Not planning on taking any. I'm not likely to ever have to fight anyone that has.

Now if I was wealthy, I would just for entertainment.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I've taken a 2-day class taught by a couple of local SWAT officers, who've trained with a number of well-known and respected instructors.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd like to but I leave for boot camp next February and it looks like I'll be in A-school until August.   So I won't get my hopes up about getting into a class.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#16]

When I'm more proficient I'll take one. If I took one now I don't think it would be as beneficial as it could be.

I've qualified Expert on a QD range and shot a ton with a FATS system but I'd like to pick up Magpul's AOTC and practice a bit before I shell out the money for a course.

I really want to take a bunch of courses though.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Guns are icky. Guns in class are super icky.

Would like to take some gun classes some day.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Have 2 carbine certs, 2 pistol certs, and 1 AK cert, all from L.A.V. -
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I have not, but want to. I would also like to attend training to make me more proficient with a hand gun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#20]
2 day carbine/pistol class from MAST solutions, never heard of them before, and I bet most people haven't, but they were excellent.

2, 1 day pistol classes from a local trainer.

Train on my own regularly, and am part of a training group.

Plan on taking more.

Magpul is coming to tuscon next year, that should be awesome.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Pay money to attend class by and for armchair qb's.  No thanks.
Spend the money on ammo.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I have received some formal rifle and pistol training but have never paid for it. Someday I'd like to take a course. For now I train on my own and in competition. I also think that training videos can help to add tools to the toolbox. They can't replace good instruction, but they can give you new ideas, especially about new drills you can do on your own. They are probably most useful for folks who have received some formal training.

Voted "gift for killing."
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Just took my first pistol class recently.   Tactical Response fighting pistol I.   Was worth every penny, and I plan to take a rifle course soonish.   I learned a lot more then I thought I would as someone who shoots a lot of rounds often.

This is just my opinion, but I feel everyone who owns a firearm for self defense should take a class if possible.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Spend the money on ammo.

Sense, your not making any...............
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#25]

I can commute to Sigarms Academy here in NH so it's been easy to take carbine and pistol classes.  They have great instructors.  Unless someone has had military/police training, I'm not sure how anyone would be able to learn on their own without taking a class.  Videos are great but you have to have some 'hands on' training to be able to incorporate any new information.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Spend the money on ammo.

lol, so all instructors are "armchair qbs"?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, many times.  I understand that they can be expensive, but if you learn anything from the course than it is/was potentially worth the price.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I think I'm okay.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I have been to Thunder Ranch Oregon

And have taken some local classes
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think I'm okay.

You're wrong.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes, but if you are just getting into formalized training, I would focus on pistol courses since that is going to be the weapon you most likely will use in a self-defense situation, as well as being a more difficult weapon to master. Handgun classes don't have the "CDI factor" of carbine classes, but it is much harder to run and gun and be effective with a pistol that it is a rifle. Once you have that down, then I would move on and focus on acquiring the additional skills for fighting with a rifle.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Spend the money on ammo.

You truly are clueless.....

training, real training is worth all the blood you may not have to spill later......

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#33]
worth every bit of time , energy and cost
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I've taken two - Awerbuck back in 2000, and Jeff Gonzales CC1 in 2007 (grueling).  They're fun, but I think concentrating on the pistol makes more sense for me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#35]
If I had the cash to spare I would. Short of winning the lottery, that won't happen anytime soon.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Spend the money on ammo.

straight from the mouth of the armchair president
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I have taken a few from some big names. Most were fun but really dont teach ya much besides the very basics even at the advance stages. Taking a carbine class is like learning how to put gas in your car,turn it on and off and maybe go into 1st and reverse a little. Not make you ready for the Daytona 500. Carbine and pistol classes are very very baby steps in the big picture of things.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
ill be first to say it, in before thread poll

I've been into AR's for 4 years now. I'm now satisfied with basic knowledge and have the equipment that I'm starting to look into taking at least one carbine class. I was just wondering if anyone here feels they are competent without taking one.

If you take a good class you will, IMO, quickly realize how you were not all that qualified to grab an AR during a home invasion as you did not know how to work it properly under stress. Have you worked on jam? Have you done tactical reloads? do you have 1, 2, or 3 extra mags and how do you have them ready for access? Does it have a flashlight attached and how will you use it? It may also, in a number of situations, not be the right weapon as you will need to consider where a bullet that misses stops. At 3 Am are your neighbors always all on their 2nd floor? How about 10 PM? Where will a round exiting your window and headed at his home enter it?

I know my house and what spots put my neighbors at risk. I'd grab it now before any other weapon, but my Rem870 would be fine everywhere and preferable around 25% of my home as my AR could pose a problem. In my home, shooting through my bedroom door of through my front or rear door being breached would not be a problem. So if I see 3+ bodies on my front porch and my door is being breached, in my state I may legally fire, and should so so before I have multiple armed invader in my home, at which point they are past the choke point and I'm likely going to be dead in the final analysis.

My ideal situation to be armed is alarm goes off, ammo belt is quickly snapped around my waist and a 45 in in the back left mag pouch and a 2nd mag next to it, and my AR is single point sling is grabbed and my right arm enters and it goes over my head.

These are all things you can learn in a good class and work at home once every week or two so you know your plan and work it.

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#40]

I've taken several handgun classes.  

I'm chomping at the bit to get into a good carbine class.  Lack of money and now graveyard shift keep messing things up.

We have an excellent training facility here in Monsoon Central.  

Once I have enough factory ammo, money and time off, I'm there.

http://www.oregonfirearmsacademy.com/
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just took my first pistol class recently.   Tactical Response fighting pistol I.   Was worth every penny, and I plan to take a rifle course soonish.   I learned a lot more then I thought I would as someone who shoots a lot of rounds often.

This is just my opinion, but I feel everyone who owns a firearm for self defense should take a class if possible.

Same class I took.

Highly recommend.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Spend the money on ammo.

I think your responsew is one of the best I have ever read. Some good instructor out there doesn't need to tell his fellow instructors to keep an eye on you as you might be a danger to other students.

I have a class coming up with a 12 year Navy SEAL who just left active duty due to an injury. I'm sure he, and his brethren who instruct, will be glad to not see a complete incompetent and know-it-all already show up and risk others in the class.

But let's do some math...a good class is well under $200 and the ammo is about 600-700 rds. But let's say 800 rds and make that $300.

So you can shoot that ammo over 5-6 trips to the range. And what did you gain as to self-defense knowledge? ZIP, nada, nothing! But if you add $150-$175 to the ammo you will leave (well, not you) with a ton of knowledge you did not have.

Glad you aren't my neighbor. But you provided a service here, so thank you for that reply.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Spend the money on ammo.

I'll be polite and just say this: Please, don't ever come near me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Seems like a lot of people also take pistol classes, which is the smart thing to do. I can't get a CCW yet, but when I do I'll be sure to have taken or be close to taking one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Frontsight Practical Rifle alumni.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#46]

based on the following question, I will admit "no".

what is taught in a "carbine" class?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#47]
HVWM with Magpul.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#48]
No rifle classes planned for the future. I hope to take some handgun classes soon, though. I see the handgun as being the much more likely weapon in a defensive situation.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I try to hit several classes each year on various topics.

If you haven't had any formal training (basic doesn't count...that almost makes me giggle), then you don't know what you don't know.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
based on the following question, I will admit "no".

what is taught in a "carbine" class?

How to load your carbine,sight it in,clear some jams, correct zero,how to put your sling on right, shoot from positions other then standing and from a bench. High speed shit lol. Watch a magpul video if you want to see what a class is like before you take one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top