Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 3:48:49 PM EDT
A while back I was given a gift card to Dicks Sporting Goods. I couldn't find anything I wanted so I bought 3 boxes of Hornady's Critical Defense 115 grain 9mm "FTX". I normally prefer Double Taps 124 grain Gold Dot load but figured I would give these a try.

I just shot 25 rounds through my Kahr PM9, flawless and accurate as usual. But WTF is up with this ammo? It was some of the weakest 9mm I've ever shot. I loaded up a mag of 9mm WWB and it had a significantly louder report and lots more recoil. WWB is typically considered a weak 9mm load so I was very surprised by the Hornady ammo.

Also shot my hard chrome Kel Tec P3AT for the first time. I put 100 rounds of Privi .380 through her. On the first mag there was either a bad round or a light primer strike. I'm leaning towards dud primer because there was a pretty good dent in it, but regardless the round did not fire. During the first 50 rounds I had two failures to feed, and the little gun ran 100% for the second box of 50 rounds. My hand is a bit sore.

One note is the front site of the kel tec is hard to see, so I will probably end up painting it with something.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It is supposed to be a lighter self defense round.  FTX is for flex tip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD6Re_Gwcwc

There is a lot more to a round than how much recoil it is has.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Please read the "Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo" post tacked at the top of the page.

At the top of what page? this is GD. Maybe im missing something

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please read the "Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo" post tacked at the top of the page.

At the top of what page? this is GD. Maybe im missing something

He's got powers...eery political powers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
oh I think he means click handgun , then click ammo then click FAQ then click best choices for self defense ammo http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#7]
9mm is a joke, get a manly man's gun a .45!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We can see whos caliber works better. Let me shoot you with my 147gr 9mm then you can shoot me with your .45 and we can see which one works better  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can see whos caliber works better. Let me shoot you with my 147gr 9mm then you can shoot me with your .45 and we can see which one works better  

You guy's need someone to verify these results.....Call me I'll watch
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Recoil is not a wounding mechanism
Velocity is not a wounding mechanism
Muzzle Energy is not a wounding mechanism.

Penetration and expansion is all that matters.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
oh I think he means click handgun , then click ammo then click FAQ then click best choices for self defense ammo http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

The guy that put the FAQ together is awesome.

It is a darn good faq thats for sure!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top