Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 4:30:39 PM EDT
Any idea what this is?  They seem pretty reclusive (pardon the pun) and I don't think I have seen them use webs.  I have seen them occasionally in our basement, but they try hard to stay away from people and never bothered anyone.  Just wondering what it is.  There is a quarter next to it for size comparison.

By the way, the tile looks filthy in the pic, but it really isn't; the close view makes it look worse than it really is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Rabid wolf spider.  (seriously that's what they're called)

Harmless but they don't like people.

They can get pretty damned big and will startle you sometimes.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
elephant bird.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Put a key ring on it and sell it on the EE.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Rabid wolf spider.

Harmless but they don't like people.

yep
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Wolf Spider for sure.....they're pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Eight legged possum.

Looks like a baby wolf spider.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
But they'll lay a nasty bite on you.  I used to play with Wolf spiders when I was a kid until one didn't care for my play and bit the shit out of my finger.  Wasn't venomous or anything,  but it got my attention.  I never picked a live one up again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Wolf spider is what I guessed too and arfcom verdict sounds almost unanimous.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:24:15 AM EDT
[#9]
that's not a wolf spider

it's a grass spider

they make cool sheet webs in the grass, and we get them in the basement when they sneak in the basement window. i've never had any problems with them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:31:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
that's not a wolf spider

it's a grass spider

they make cool sheet webs in the grass, and we get them in the basement when they sneak in the basement window. i've never had any problems with them.

Just looked them up and yes, it is a grass spider.  Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top