Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2010 9:39:48 AM EDT
Is buying a new car  still a bad idea if you plan to drive it till the wheels fall off?

just wondering...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Buying a car is NOT an investment.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I dunno, you gonna go buy a cruze?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Cars aren't investments.  They're purchases.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cars aren't investments.  They're purchases.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Investment equals greater return than what you put into it...cars, like boats, are money pits
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
You'll get the most bang for your buck by driving a new car into the ground.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#8]
The only cars that are investments are the super rare/expensive/collectible ones.

Cars are for getting you around. Don't expect to make much money when you sell it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You'll get the most bang for your buck by driving a new3 year old car into the ground.

Fixed it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#10]
buying a low mileage 3 year old car and driving the wheels off of it.......that's a way to limit the "loss" on your "investment"
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Sure it is.

It's an investment in being sure you're able to get from point A to point B.

It's an investment in not having to wrench on a piece of shit every weekend, or pay someone else to.

It's an investment in your comfort.

Return on investment is your quality of life.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Cheapest way to do it in raw dollars and cents?  Probably not.

Decent approach when you add up a lot of hard-to-quantify factors (known history, convenience, reliability, new car smell)?  Potentially.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You'll get the most bang for your buck by driving a new car into the ground.

I agree with this, but only on vehicles that are modestly priced to begin with.

Compact cars, small trucks, maybe some sedans. The big money stuff seems wiser to buy with about 20K on em.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I dunno, you gonna go buy a cruze?  

Now that would be a bad investment.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'll get the most bang for your buck by driving a new3 year old car into the ground.

Fixed it.

Good point.  

However, you never really know how well the vehicle was treated before your purchase.   Buyer beware....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it.

Not really. You might save a few thousand dollars on the purchase price but you lose the warranty and those 3 years of service. Buying used versus buying new doesn't save you a significant amount when you drive it until it start costing you more than it would to buy something else.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Have less then 15K invested in this car.
Have been offered over 40k and passed.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The only cars that are investments are the super rare/expensive/collectible ones.

Cars are for getting you around. Don't expect to make much anything whatsoever money when you sell it.

Fixed.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure it is.

It's an investment in not having to wrench on a piece of shit every weekend, or pay someone else to.

you could say the same thing for hookers and blow.

"INVEST" in a new car is the biggest crock out there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure it is.

None of those are investments. They are expenditures.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Paid my used car off 18 months ago.  Can't tell you how nice it is.  I was thinking I would buy another car with 20,000 miles on it because I liked driving a newer one.  I'm really likeing this not paying anything thing.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it.

Not really. You might save a few thousand dollars on the purchase price but you lose the warranty and those 3 years of service. Buying used versus buying new doesn't save you a significant amount when you drive it until it start costing you more than it would to buy something else.

And you don't know what's happened in that time.

Someone could have filled the tank with diesel, or have forgotten to add oil after an oil change.

Could have had some sort of fender bender that went unreported but wasn't fixed properly.

Who knows?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have less then 15K invested in this car.
Have been offered over 40k and passed.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c46/Unclebillybonz/Carbytheriver-1.jpg

That is the exception to the rule, OTOH,it isn't a daily driver unless you are out of your pea pickin' little squash.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is it not?

1. In finance, the purchase of a financial product or other item of value with an expectation of favorable future returns. In general terms, investment means the use money in the hope of making more money.

2. In business, the purchase by a producer of a physical good, such as durable equipment or inventory, in the hope of improving future business.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Holding things equal, two of the same cars are essentially the same price(value) at the same mileage. ie. a Ford xmachine at 40,000 miles is going to be about the same price as another Ford xmachine with 40,000 miles on it.

But if you buy new, you have paid the "new car fee" for the same vehicle when it gets to 40,000 miles. So you have lost money by buying a vehicle new.

Let someone else pay the "new car fee" and buy their car for it's value at a given mileage.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure it is.

You're spnding money to save yourself time and work.

Time = money.  Work = money.

You are, in essence, spending a lot of money to save yourself a little money.

Your discomfort has a value.  Most people are not willing to be uncomfortable.  And so they pay for comfort.  By not paying for comfort, you reap benefits from the market.  The obvious examples in this discussion are 3-4 year old cars.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Depends on your needs/wants.

I'm more the kind of guy that will buy a loaded used rig with cash and dump a couple grand into it every 1-4 years. Cheaper than a car payment and "they don't build them like they used to".

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#29]
If its a car to get you to and from work, that I see as an investment...its being used to make you money, couldn't make money without it.

If its a fun car that you keep in the garage and only take it out on weekends to go get ice cream, that's an expenditure.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is it not?

1. In finance, the purchase of a financial product or other item of value with an expectation of favorable future returns. In general terms, investment means the use money in the hope of making more money.

2. In business, the purchase by a producer of a physical good, such as durable equipment or inventory, in the hope of improving future business.

I'll grant you #2, if we're not talking about somebody's personal vehicle. #1 is definitely out, because in terms of dollars, you're losing money no matter what you buy.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Of course not! Let some other sucker pay down the instant depreciation that happens when the car hits the street.

You may be able to make an argument to the opposite. If you bought a new car with the intention of selling it after 3 years you would have a 3 year old car to sell instead of a 5 or 6 year old car, but the higher resale value will not make up for the rapid depreciation after the initial purchase.

Cars are assets, not investments.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure it is.

You're spnding money to save yourself time and work.

Time = money.  Work = money.

You are, in essence, spending a lot of money to save yourself a little money.

Your discomfort has a value.  Most people are not willing to be uncomfortable.  And so they pay for comfort.  By not paying for comfort, you reap benefits from the market.  The obvious examples in this discussion are 3-4 year old cars.

That depends on the vehicle, as some used cars cost just as much as new.

You can also get a more favorable interest rate as well any incentives and rebates.

And there is the warranty which has (potentially) considerable value itself.

Like I say, I wouldn't likely buy a loaded Lexus brand new...

but I woulnd't buy a Honda Fit used. It depends on the vehicle.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#33]
A new car that you plan to drive everyday is NOT an investment.
Every great once in a while if the market is crazy and the stars align, you might be able to buy a new car, drive it for a couple years and sell it for what you paid for it.
VERY RARELY DOES THAT HAPPEN.
But, I am personally in that position
I bought a truck in 2008 when gas was $4/gal. The manufacturer had a $2500 rebate, plus $5k of dealer cash (unadvertised), plus the markup and holdback.
Sticker price was $26,6k I paid $17,4k...

...now, the used market is commanding high prices; i can sell my truck, w/ 30k miles on it for ~$19k and it would be a fair market Private Party price in KBB "Good Condition"
Speed

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If its a car to get you to and from work, that I see as an investment...its being used to make you money, couldn't make money without it.

If its a fun car that you keep in the garage and only take it out on weekends to go get ice cream, that's an expenditure.

Yes, but if the goal is to get to work, the bar is set pretty low. Pretty much any shitbox can pull that off.

Buying a new car is (almost always) a luxury. I really don't understand why people feel the need to rationalize it by loosening the definition of investment. There is nothing wrong with wanting a brand new car - at ALL. If you want one for whatever subjective reason you an conjure, then just buy one already. No big deal.

The only time I argue over it, is if the purchaser insists that it makes sense in pure dollar terms, or calls something that loses an assload of money a "good investment".

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#35]
A car is an investment.  It enables you to drive to work and make money.  We have a hi-lo at work... same principle.  While, by itself, it does not generate revenue, it is a necessary cost of doing business.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll grant you #2, if we're not talking about somebody's personal vehicle. #1 is definitely out, because in terms of dollars, you're losing money no matter what you buy.

Well your personal vehicle carries you to work, where you "produce" whatever you do for your wages.

Just because you make goods or w/e for somebody else,

the reliability (and thus quality) of your vehicle does directly impact how late you are for "business"

or days missed due to stranded broken down bullshit or days spent waiting at the dealership.

You guys can look at it as an expenditure, you aren't wrong in doing so...

but I believe buying the most reliable car with these factors in mind is investing in a trouble-free future.

I expect to save money in the long run by doing so. It's a gamble, like all investments.
The tranny could fall out of it at 60K  leaving me the biggest loser. (knock on wood it don't though)

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#37]
buying a new car is the easest way to lose 10,000 in 1 year
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

A car is an investment.  It enables you to drive to work and make money.  We have a hi-lo at work... same principle.  While, by itself, it does not generate revenue, it is a necessary cost of doing business.

If that's your only goal (and it seldom is, people are never 100% honest about this), your "investment" shouldn't cost much more than about $2,000.

If you pay more than that (and I sure as hell do!), it's because you want something more than just 4 wheels and the ability to move under it's own power.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but if the goal is to get to work, the bar is set pretty low. Pretty much any shitbox can pull that off.

Buying a new car is (almost always) a luxury. I really don't understand why people feel the need to rationalize it by loosening the definition of investment. There is nothing wrong with wanting a brand new car - at ALL. If you want one for whatever subjective reason you an conjure, then just buy one already. No big deal.

The only time I argue over it, is if the purchaser insists that it makes sense in pure dollar terms, or calls something that loses an assload of money a "good investment".

When the new car is cheaper than the used car, you'd be fucking retarded to buy it used.

That isn't always the case... but like I say, it depends on the vehicle.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Clark Howard is actually saying that now may be a good time to buy new instead of gently used as he normally recommends.  The used market is hot as hell, and new cars are sitting on the lots untouched.  For some cars, a 3-year-old model might be just a little cheaper than a brand new one.  In that case, why not just buy new?

Depends on the model you're looking to buy, of course.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Right. And if the car is a $13K Honda Fit?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#42]
putting aside that it won't be an investment, is buying a new car a wise use of money, it depends on what kind of car it is. Less expensive cars like camrys and civics hold their value percentage wise fairly well, they wouldn't be a bad buy new.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is buying a new car  still a bad idea if you plan to drive it till the wheels fall off?

just wondering...

Depends on whether you're financing it or paying cash.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I've bought more than my share of new cars and have never lost $10k in one year.

Actually, these days new cars is a good way to go because of how the inflated the used car market happens to be. The used cars cost more than they normally do and if you're not paying cash, the interest rates are higher.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#45]
First of all, don't use the word "investment"  That implies an expected monetary RON.  It's kind of like Obama calling the Pork Stimulus an "investment".    It just sounds stupid.
Now, putting that aside, I believe that if you want to buy a Toyota or Honda, then yes, your best deal will be a new car.

It all depends upon what kind of purchase price and financing deal you can swing.  

The reason I said only Toyota and Honda, is that the huge cult following and a legendary reputation for never wearing out.  This translates into very high resale values that are far in excess of their actual worth.   You can use this to your advantage.

Assuming you absolutely have to buy a new car, best bet is to buy a new Toyota/Honda, drive it for 5 years/100,000 miles, then pawn off your troubles to some sucker for 75% of what you paid for it.  Just tell the sucker "Everybody knows a Corolla will go 300,000 miles without any maintenance at all"

A remarkably high percentage of people will believe this, and you will get 5 years of trouble free and nearly expense free driving out of the deal.
Financially, your best rout would be to go with a used Non-Honda/Toyota which has depreciated, but the method I outlined above gives you a new warranty and is more certain.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've bought more than my share of new cars and have never lost $10k in one year.

Actually, these days new cars is a good way to go because of how the inflated used car market happens to be. The used cars cost more than they normally do and if you're not paying cash, the interest rates are higher.

I don't think people are paying much attention to the market.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

First of all, don't use the word "investment"  That implies an expected monetary RON.  It's kind of like Obama calling the Pork Stimulus an "investment".    It just sounds stupid.

Uh, I think you mean ROI

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#48]
I have purchased many new vehicles of all types and GVW's. It can certainly make you feeeeel good.

HOWEVER, I have since learned that it is a much more intelligent financial decision to let another guy be the first owner, let him take the big hit on the vehicle's massive initial depreciation, and then move in and get a near-new vehicle for a bargain.

Caveats apply, and you do need to know prices, know how to shop, how to drive a bargain in your favor, and most importantly know how to do your own mechanical inspection.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well your personal vehicle carries you to work, where you "produce" whatever you do for your wages.

Just because you make goods or w/e for somebody else,

the reliability (and thus quality) of your vehicle does directly impact how late you are for "business"

or days missed due to stranded broken down bullshit or days spent waiting at the dealership.

You guys can look at it as an expenditure, you aren't wrong in doing so...

but I believe buying the most reliable car with these factors in mind is investing in a trouble-free future.

I expect to save money in the long run by doing so. It's a gamble, like all investments.

The tranny could fall out of it at 60K  leaving me the biggest loser. (knock on wood it don't though)

If it's reliability you're after, where you absolutely CAN NOT have a down vehicle under any circumstances, then it's prudent to pick up another ~$2,000 vehicle and keep it on standby.

If you buy a $25,000 brand new car, you're not investing in anything other than your happiness. Rationalize it all you want, but for less than $10,000 you can have two cars that WILL get you back and forth to work, no matter what.

You won't look good doing it, and you're not going to impress anybody, but you'll get there. But you and I both know "getting to work" is only part of it. If I buy a $60,000 "investment" BMW to get to work, I'm lying to myself.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I wish, I'd buy a used honda civic for half price.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top