Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:29:22 PM EDT
Watching military channel.
Showing AA12 auto shotgun. According to the expert...

1. It is stainless steel so it doesn't rust.
2. Since it doesn't rust you don't need lubrication
3. Since you don't have to lube it, no dirt can attach to lube so NO JAMS.
4. Since it is automatic it doesn't have any recoil.

Awesome!!!!!

ETA: Wasn't there a gun once they said didn't need cleaning?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Was Baldo the Wonder SEAL talking about it?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's another pic

and here the FRAG-12 "high explosive shell"

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Stainless on stainless tends to gall horribly, even with copious amounts of lubricant.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Stainless on stainless tends to gall horribly, even with copious amounts of lubricant.

Fixed years ago by using two different types of SS.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#6]
It's pretty much a ripoff of the USAS-12.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen stainless steel show rust spots within weeks of being introduced to the Miami humidity and salty air. Stainless just means it rusts slower.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
If there's one thing true about stainless steel, it's that it isn't.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. All that's necessary is that the alloys that are in direct contact are dissimilar enough. Not that hard to deal with, though it must be remembered during design. (And more importantly, during final production preparations.)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Call of Duty MW2 says its awesome, and COD is never wrong so it must be great/practical.

Honestly though it does look like a pretty promising design. It might be a bit heavy, especially with ammo, but it still looks very cool/useful. Some of the marketing though is a bit over the top, but its not like that is unusual for the firearms industry especially when potentially large military/law enforcement contracts are involved.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've seen stainless steel show rust spots within weeks of being introduced to the Miami humidity and salty air. Stainless just means it rusts slower.

This FTW!!!

I lived in Coral Gables.  People would all buy stainless revolvers back then.  Guess what?  THEY ALL RUSTED!!
You still have to lube the shit out of any gun in Miami.  And the guys who keep a gun on the boat?  You better make it a revolver, pack it in heavy grease and wrap in oil soaked cloth.

I don't know who was talking. It is that ultimate weapons show.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No its not.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#13]
stainless=SS=stains less

it WILL rust
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This FTW!!!

I lived in Coral Gables.  People would all buy stainless revolvers back then.  Guess what?  THEY ALL RUSTED!!
You still have to lube the shit out of any gun in Miami.  And the guys who keep a gun on the boat?  You better make it a revolver, pack it in heavy grease and wrap in oil soaked cloth.

I bought an AN/PVS-14 case and threw my SS 1911 in it with a bunch of dessicant packets. Then I threw my hands up and sold it for a USP. Nary a problem with that finish.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]
that shit is clunky and huge.

just use a saiga12 with an md20 drum.  kalashnikov ftw
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This FTW!!!

I bought an AN/PVS-14 case and threw my SS 1911 in it with a bunch of dessicant packets. Then I threw my hands up and sold it for a USP. Nary a problem with that finish.

Good info.  
The problem is these guys thought since they had "stainless" guns, they didn't have to worry about it.
FAIL!!!  
I miss Miami!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#17]
No lube needed means it must have zero moving parts, right?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

stainless=SS=stains less

it WILL rust

Bingo.

You just have to abuse it more to get it to happen.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've got both and I can tell you they've got something with that mag loading mechanism.

Loading a full MD-20 drum on a saiga can be tricky.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No lube needed means it must have zero moving parts, right?

Eggsactly.

I LOLd immediately.
If it has metal and moves it needs lube.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#21]
In one of the futureweapons vids, you can see it malfunction.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#22]
No lube, and no recoil?

Good luck with that.

ETA- Of course, if you don't lube it, it eventually won't have any recoil, because it won't run anymore.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Depends what kind of stainless. High grade stainless and some of the nitrogen alloy steels ARE rust proof. You can leave them in salt water for weeks or months and nothing will ever happen.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

it just stains-less

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#25]
The metal of choice around salty air or salt water is titanium or high titanium alloys.  Those metallic luster looking ROV arms that you saw in the Deep Water Horizon well rescue and recovery thread here...that was titanium structure...will not rust or corrode in salt water.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#26]
If I'm not mistaken the real selling point of the AA-12 is that it has very little recoil making it very controllable when fired in full auto.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It took me a while to figure that out when I was younger.  I then broke down the word:  stain-less.  If it didn't rust they'd call it no-stain.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#28]

When they gonna release a civvie version?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a concept for a shotgun in my head that makes that thing look stupid, and ancient.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#30]
That thing has been around in the gun press since the 80s, and so far no civilian version.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I wonder how it runs with 3" 000 or slugs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. All that's necessary is that the alloys that are in direct contact are dissimilar enough. Not that hard to deal with, though it must be remembered during design. (And more importantly, during final production preparations.)

To the degree that you could run it as an un-lubricated contact point in a firearm action
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, well, it was pretty bad ass in The Expendables.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#34]
That's funny, it jams in the future weapons video showcasing it.

goto 5:50
fn02le8e0nQ
I'd rather have a Benelli or Saiga, especially since they won't sell to civilians/Non-LEO, even if I could get one legally.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#35]
My sweat is killing my Benchmade 551SBK made of stainless steel.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Not necessary.

The Benelli m4 is a superior gun.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Dosent much matter, single purpose shotgun, with a unpurposful design.

Unless your in video game design.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That thing has been around in the gun press since the 80s, and so far no civilian version.

No it hasn't.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#39]
yea in mw2 its a one shot kill from just under a mile away. quite possibly the best sniping weapon on the game.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well, since no new MG's can be sold on the civilian market that were made after '86, wtf do you expect?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

yea in mw2 its a one shot kill from just under a mile away. quite possibly the best sniping weapon on the game.

you're thinking of the Masterkey.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Based off those spokesmen I tend to think the makers of the AA12 are an extremely small shop.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Ya think
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Call of Duty MW2 says its awesome, and COD is never wrong so it must be great/practical.

Honestly though it does look like a pretty promising design. It might be a bit heavy, especially with ammo, but it still looks very cool/useful. Some of the marketing though is a bit over the top, but its not like that is unusual for the firearms industry especially when potentially large military/law enforcement contracts are involved.

No way, everybody know that the Spas or the Striker are way better in COD.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got both and I can tell you they've got something with that mag loading mechanism.

+1

I have an MD20, and while it is a great and very well built drum, it is not the easiest thing to load.  I have reduced the tension and it still takes me a while to load it up, I could not imagine trying to reload that thing during combat.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nope.......designed before the USAS-12 by Max  Atchisson 1972. It actually the only gun deal I've been screwed on. They where going to build it back in the early 80's. I sent in a couple hundred bucks to get one of the first ones......but the company ripe everbody including Atchisson off and never built it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchisson_Assault_Shotgun
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it hasn't.

Yes it has, here's a picture that was submitted during the patent process in 1987

EDIT:  link to pic and some more history...

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh29-e.htm

And technically, the USAS-12 was derived from the original design of the AA-12, which was done in the early 1970's, and evolved to the current model
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it hasn't.

Yes it has, here's a picture that was submitted during the patent process in 1987

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/atchisson3.jpg

EDIT:  link to pic and some more history...

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh29-e.htm

And technically, the USAS-12 was derived from the original design of the AA-12, which was done in the early 1970's, and evolved to the current model

The USAS-12 is a 12ga variant of the ROK's Daewoo assault rifle.

In the same sense that the Saiga-12 is a 12ga variant of the AKM.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Supposedly, there is a new variant of the S-12 coming, with a factory magwell, rather than rock-n-lock...

Of course, that won't do much for those who already own rock-n-lock S-12 gear...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#50]
apparently it shoots through platoons

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top