Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 1:50:10 PM EDT
Why is it that in space shows the commander always blunders right in to situations that allow the bad guys to take the ship?

The really stupid part is that after the enemy has the ship and is holding everyone by the short hairs, the commander then decides to start taking risks and gambling with lives in order to pull off some wild ass hail Mary and get the ship back?

Here's an idea, why not make the tough decision right from the start and keep the enemy from taking the ship in the first place? I swear, I absolutely hate the episodes of otherwise good series where the bad guys take the ship.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Kirk was a bad captain.

Picard was better.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why is it that in space shows the commander always blunders right in to situations that allow the bad guys to take the ship?

The really stupid part is that after the enemy has the ship and is holding everyone by the short hairs, the commander then decides to start taking risks and gambling with lives in order to pull off some wild ass hail Mary and get the ship back?

Here's an idea, why not make the tough decision right from the start and keep the enemy from taking the ship in the first place? I swear, I absolutely hate the episodes of otherwise good series where the bad guys take the ship.

If boarding risks are so high, why doesn't the entire crew have sidearms as part of their normal uniform?

Why can't anyone hit an enemy 10 meters away down the same corridor?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Kirk was a bad captain.

Picard was better.  

the ghey is strong in this thread......
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
It's called "drama".

Can you imagine a zombie movie where most of the characters are members of Arfcom?  It would last about 10 minutes.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If boarding risks are so high, why doesn't the entire crew have sidearms as part of their normal uniform?

Yeah, the particular show that I'm gripping about had people standing at spitting distances shooting machine guns at each other and no one got killed.

It's also worth pointing out that in the show that I'm gripping about, the commander of the ship had the enemy contained in a room from the very second that they boarded, and was ready to vent the atmosphere and kill them all, but then decided against it when he saw that the enemy had brought with them a guy that he hates.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It's called "drama".

Can you imagine a zombie movie where most of the characters are members of Arfcom?  It would last about 10 minutes.

It's not drama, it's just stupid. There are all kinds of other things that they can make episodes about without having the commander and hero fuck everything up.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the particular show that I'm gripping about had people standing at spitting distances shooting machine guns at each other and no one got killed.

It's also worth pointing out that in the show that I'm gripping about, the commander of the ship had the enemy contained in a room from the very second that they boarded, and was ready to vent the atmosphere and kill them all, but then decided against it when he saw that the enemy had brought with them a guy that he hates.

SGU Finale huh.  Yea, my brain hurt.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Why did the US wait until the attack on Pearl Harbor to go after the Nipponese?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Science fiction in movies and television has definitely deteriorated since the days when a young Leslie Nielsen was showing us how a real star ship captain would behave.

Which explains why I still prefer novels.  Firefly was a rare exception, but Serenity was a disappointment.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Because it's entertainment.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So what show would you be griping about?

Yeah, he should have just vented when they came through the Stargate....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually, there was a science fiction show that was similar to your recommendation. It was called "Little House on the Prairie". Didn't work out so they overhauled the whole show after the first episode to some crappy farmer family show.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Blue Stripe: The Life and Times of a Replicator Repairman

Anyway, I'm not too good at doing these report things for self-assessments so I'm just going to fill up the computer's word limit with my job logs. No one is every going to read this anyway and if the computer gives two shits she ain't tellin' me....

Stardate 42009
Call: 03:46 - Security Emergency
Complainant: N/A

Report: We were boarded by some Romulans at about 3:25, smack dab in the middle of my lunch break. Security details were sent to the locations where the Romulans had beamed aboard and a huge sissy fight erupted with phasers. I used the replicator to make a .45 pistol and I went down and shot them all in the head. A couple of them shot at me but I just casually stepped out of the path of their phaser beams. Somehow, LaForge managed to take the credit claiming he "disabled them with a phase-inversion field by venting the plasma containment units." Oh, is that why maintenance spent three hours cleaning brain-smeared bullets out of the corridor walls on deck 18? Fucking asshole.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGU Finale huh.  Yea, my brain hurt.

Adama wouldn't have let them get out of the gateroom.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what show would you be griping about?

Yeah, he should have just vented when they came through the Stargate....

These guys have enough problems without some limpwristed Colonel who can't kill his enemies. Then he goes an surrenders.

Great plan.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top