Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 9:44:27 PM EDT
Someone else's post mentioned getting a written warning for speeding and I've heard other people's stories of getting a written warning instead of a ticket.  What is the point of the written warning?

Here in the Californicate Republic there are no written warnings.  Its either verbal and on your way or press hard 4 copies.

When I was a police I would either wag the finger or write the ticket.  Never both and if I was going to the effort of writing anything, you had earned the ticket.

Unless there's something magical I don't know about written warnings they sound like scratchy government issued toilet paper to me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume that it's so repeat offenders don't get away with dozens of verbal warnings.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Stat tracking by the agency. Or a smaller agency may have a way to determine that a guy was already given a written warning, if they are a small village PD and don't have many contacts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
here, u can get a written warning for a burned out light, that gives you time to fix it before getting a ticket.  That way if your light burns out and u immediately get pulled over, they can make sure you fix it without being a dick.  

Written warnings for speeding are stupid.  Got one once.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The only tickets I've gotten in the last 24 years are 2 written warnings in Nebraska, from 2 different agencies within 10 miles of each other.

I saved the warning tickets somewhere.

Maybe people are supposed to reflect on their behavior more when they get a souvenir?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Racial profiling/stat tracking.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
here, u can get a written warning for a burned out light, that gives you time to fix it before getting a ticket.  That way if your light burns out and u immediately get pulled over, they can make sure you fix it without being a dick.  

Most equipment tickets here can come with a fixit form so you can get the problem fixed and get the ticket dismissed. We have more of an interest in ensuring problems get fixed than punishing people.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Written warnings cannot be contested. Think about it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm thinking about it, and I'm coming up with nothing. There's no conviction to go on your record. Help me out.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.

Agencies want a detailed record of every traffic stop as evidence against accusations of racial profiling. Rather than take away an officers discretion to cite or not, they can either record the statistical information on a ticket or on a warning.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Agencies want a detailed record of every traffic stop as evidence against accusations of racial profiling. Rather than take away an officers discretion to cite or not, they can either record the statistical information on a ticket or on a warning.

There's that.
And I used to tell people to fold the warning cite and tuck it behind their license, so they'd see it every once in a while and think about what the warning was for.
Only once did someone tell me they still had that warning ticket behind their license, and she went to jail as a sloppy-assed DUI.

Nice that she remembered me, though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Written warnings dont go on your record, period....think about it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

That's what it is down here. We are mandated by law to collect racial profiling data on each contact we make with the public. Even if I'm going to write you one warning, I have to press paper so I can turn it in for our stats people to report to the state.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they come back to used against you later on in court or whatever, there is no way you could have fought them and won previously, you were guilty.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Better than getting a ticket for 57 in a 55 I guess.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most equipment tickets here can come with a fixit form so you can get the problem fixed and get the ticket dismissed. We have more of an interest in ensuring problems get fixed than punishing people.

thats pretty much what i was saying.  If you fail to fix it in 5 days or something like that, then you owe the money, if you turn it in and the problem is fixed, no charge.  Its the same paper as written warnings in a section on the back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they come back to used against you later on in court or whatever, there is no way you could have fought them and won previously, you were guilty.

Help me out here.  Are you saying you would rather have two tickets or a warning and one ticket?  Are you saying that they may later change the warning to a ticket?  Or are you saying that in a trial they might mention that you already had one warning prior to the ticket (which doesn't automatically make you guilty of the second offense)?  Either way, I'd rather have one warning and a ticket then two tickets because it's hard to beat even one traffic ticket in court.

The agency I work for does written warnings mainly to keep track of who got stopped and for what.  No need to have a person get warned ten times for the same thing by ten different officers before he finally gets a ticket.  Also, we did written warnings well before the racial profiling stat collection laws (which I don't care about BTW, collect as many stats on me as you want, I have nothing to hide).

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:30:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top