Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2010 8:52:13 AM EDT
Businesses that have been there for years . Pubs,video stores, restaurant's ,and many others. All just empty with for lease signs. I have always

felt bad for any business that went under. I realize how much money,time and just balls that it takes to open a business.

I dunno just kinda hit me as the wife and I were driving around last night. These are truly some fucked up times. Likely to get worse.

I wish I would have capitalized more on the high rolling times. I pissed A LOT of money away on "things"

God help us I guess?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It's Obama's fault.   Really.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I am the same way, sometimes it hurts to look at all the small businesses now gone.

Livelihoods and dreams crushed and gone, probably hits me more emotionally since my family runs a small business and their lives would change so drastically if they had to shut down.

They have been running over 40 years and doing good but I can imagine how bad it must hurt to shut down your dream.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#4]
But I heard on the news that this is the summer of recovery.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Businesses that have been there for years . Pubs,video stores, restaurant's ,and many others. All just empty with for lease signs. I have always

felt bad for any business that went under. I realize how much money,time and just balls that it takes to open a business.

I dunno just kinda hit me as the wife and I were driving around last night. These are truly some fucked up times. Likely to get worse.

I wish I would have capitalized more on the high rolling times. I pissed A LOT of money away on "things"

God help us I guess?

Welcome to the culmination of over 50 years of leftest policy. Their "utopia" is here.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#6]
What town?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I really notice the same when driving up Aurora/HWY 99 from Seattle up to Lynnwood.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Wait till April 1st.

I figure many small business which are just getting by currently will be totally snowballed in the 1st qtr of 2011 with the avalanche of taxes and added health care costs which are coming.

90 days is enough to break there backs.

To bad this all hits AFTER the Nov. Elections - All the new people will face the wrath of the masses for the crap passed March 21, 2010.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Same story in my home town and in the town I live in now.  The strip was full of businesses. Now their are more empty buildings than those occupied..
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Too many people have been sold the belief that life is about things rather than experiences and people.

Those people who lived on credit cards looking to buy happiness got their happiness taken away from them.

You can take away my Blu-ray and plasma big screen TV but not my experiences and friends.

I could not agree more
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#11]
A lot of small businesses had enough credit to weather a year of Obama, but not two.

The area I am in was not hit as hard by the depression as others, as our housing had not become way overvalued as it did in other areas. It is now catching up, and every week seems another 'commercial property for lease' sign on another business gone under.

We are just beginning the slide...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#12]
To add a little bit to this,I had to run to Lowes today and figured on my way out I would get one of the worlds best Polish dogs. IMO
The whole area where they used to have the hot dogs candy and pop was totally cleared out. Tits up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#13]
same around here

and we are supposed to be the best in the nation right now
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#14]
you can still buy stuff easily, stores are stocked - nothing to see here.

Just more of the same, so get over it.   We will be just fine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish my wife and kids understood how serious the situation really is.

My business is likely going to survive, but its only because of certain factors - and a bit of luck.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't seen so many "House for Sale" signs out in the last 20 + years I have been living here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There is stock, but no depth. Check it out for yourself at any grocery store. The shelves look full, but all the boxes are lined up along the front edge of the shelf - boxes which used to be 6 deep are now 2-3 deep.

We are in the midst of the Great Illusion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Blinders work for a while.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What town?

All of them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey - remember when we'd see 20 or so "Look at my new gun" threads every week?

We've gone from enjoying life to a group of white knuckled, pissed of at obama, "mad as hell - not going to take it anymore" people.

I hope November changes the country's feelings about hope.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Small business gets hammered with rules, regulations, licensing, fees and taxation.
The crap necessary to legally employ someone would blow your mind and it's only going to get worse with Obongocare.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#22]
noticed the same thing around here
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#24]
And Obama is planning another multi-billion dollar stimulus to take care of his union buddies and trial lawyer buddies. Because those buddies will pay for his 2012 re-election campaign. The rest of America doesn't matter to Obama.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#25]
It's because one stop shopping is so much easier.  

I try to counter it by going to the little guy as much as possible.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Businesses fail ––> People are out of work ––-> People are afraid to spend money ––-> More businesses fail ––-> More people are out of work ––-> More people are afraid to spend money ––-> More businesses fail ...

Something has to get consumer confidence up to break the cycle.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm about as far away from your state as you can get...and I've noticed the same things here...depressing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a truck driver, and take my word for it, the whole country is littered with boarded-up businesses, especially restaurants...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#29]

But, He made the trains run on time....

Oops, sorry that was this guy:

I'm always confusing those two.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Perfectly functioning businesses that made money year after year, put some money away for a rainy day even, couldn't have planned for this. Is it better to close up and stop bleeding, save the money and open back up when./if the economy improves; or stick it out and bleed but not have to start up again from scratch? That is the question facing many good businesses.

Some are looking toward November as a turning point, if only as a sign that a turnaround is possible. These elections are crucial.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Too many people have been sold the belief that life is about things rather than experiences and people.

Those people who lived on credit cards looking to buy happiness got their happiness taken away from them.

You can take away my Blu-ray and plasma big screen TV but not my experiences and friends.

I know a few people that used a ton of inflated equity and went on vacations with that money.  Their experiences and friends were paid for by the bailout.

It  wasn't only the loads that bought plasma TV's or Blu-rays.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#32]
those little business's are getting crushed by rents (the housing bubble again)

you simply can't make enough money to pay the rents on most of these places
a 100 to 150 person restaurant (which isn't very big) in any average town is over $5000 a month

that's a big fucking nut to cover and somewhere pay yourself too when business drops off

you simply can't run an antique store and pay $1500/month rent.
doesn't work

until realty prices come down where they belong, none of this works.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Though some businesses are doing fine in my town, I've noticed three places that were open for years have closed their doors.   They never seemed to do well even in good times, but the even slower trickle of customers in the last few years probably pushed them over the edge.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

DON'T SHOOT!

I was just paraphrasing what I learned* on ARFCOM.  

*This does not necessarily reflect the views of RRA_223, only what He learned on ARFCOM_GD.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DON'T SHOOT!

I was just paraphrasing what I learned* on ARFCOM.  

*This does not necessarily reflect the views of RRA_223, only what He learned on ARFCOM_GD.

I wondered how and why you quoted something that was not in the thread.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hey - remember when we'd see 20 or so "Look at my new gun" threads every week?

We've gone from enjoying life to a group of white knuckled, pissed of at obama, "mad as hell - not going to take it anymore" people.

I hope November changes the country's feelings about hope.

well said
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I live in South Jersey and I drive around pointing at all the empty stores and say that was a ––––––-.  Really sad and I think its going to get worse.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Relax Arfcom brothers.....

"The system is running like clockwork"

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Same here. Noticing driving up a local freeway that has businesses on either side are vacant.. lots of FOR LEASE signs. One strip mall in the town next door, every store got their eviction notices because they were going to build a SUPER strip mall. Economy took a crap so the land owner decided "Oooops, maybe I should have kept the old tenants" he cleaned up the old stores and now every one of them has a "FOR LEASE" sign. They have been vacant for over a year now.

I see nothing happening as long as this "Spend & Blame" administration is in control. Only way I see it turning if the Conservatives take back the house and senate. The rich will feel safer and thus start spending again.

A condo developer in north west PA bought up a golf course, kicked people out of a trailer park and had a new $1,000,000 bridge put in next to a lake for boat access from the new condo's. That was in 2007....Guess where it stands now?

http://meadvilletribune.com/local/x681026300/Canal-dredging-bridge-set-for-Snow-Waters-resort

http://meadvilletribune.com/local/x1884756880/Snow-Waters-headed-to-auction

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100807/NEWS02/308069885
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Come to Michigan if you really want to be depressed looking at closed businesses.

Be even more depressed when you have to be the one shutting off their utilities for non payment as part of your job. Been more then a few days where I went home feeling pretty crappy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Its still getting much worse.  The small towns are being wiped out down where our land is.  Every time I go through there its 2 or 3 more stores shut down.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Not seeing it here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

God help us I guess?

Did you have a major employer close down in your town that accelerated the trend?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

What town?

What town does the OP not describe?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not seeing it here.

Yeah Texas is still singing along pretty good seemingly. We just finished a brand new Tiffany's and a Gucci store in Dallas.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

God help us I guess?

Did you have a major employer close down in your town that accelerated the trend?

nope
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#48]
In the ghetto area where I live there has been very little of this.  Obama's voters aren't being hit by the bad economy.

But when I visit more upscale areas like Howard and Frederick and Baltimore Counties I really see it.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In the ghetto area where I live there has been very little of this.  Obama's voters aren't being hit by the bad economy.

But when I visit more upscale areas like Howard and Frederick and Baltimore Counties I really see it.  

That is because welfare / other entitlement checks haven't been hit yet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Not seeing it here.

Same here.

I praise the Lord daily that I live where I do. Trying to get family from FL to move here, they're drowning... (They can't stand the idea of a - GASP -winter! )

We've seen some businesses close, but it may be culling the weak.

Many businesses are building/expanding. They are even hiring some. Many are under stress too I imagine, especially the impulse buy/retail type businesses.

Regardless, people are still scared and uncertain about the future. I know we are watching our budget much closer.

Our priorities have changed, even if our income hasn't.

Prep, debt reduction/avoidance, working towards self sufficiency. These are hugely more important now than, say, three or four years ago.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top