Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/4/2010 11:13:23 PM EDT
Hello from a plastic Paddy settled in England - dont get over to GD much.

When 9/11 happened I was a Police Officer in London - every unit was recalled and stood-by at stations - there was a genuine worry we were next. Spent the next few hours watching live coverage on tv. Even after the event I have only seen news footage ( edited ) and the loose change conspiricy thing.

Last night, on UK TV they showed a documentary - 2 hours of camcorder footage taken by ordinary average people who were caught up in it. And previously unheard audio of emergency calls and emergency services radio traffic. It was put together in sequence to show 2 hours of "real time" on the ground footage of it from the perspective of a witness rather than a reporter.

I was moved by it - it was so much more real than the news footage. I cannot put into words what I feel for the victims and the witnesses and the feelings it evoked in me,  but I just wanted to say I empathise.

Dont know if it was shown over there - probably was - but if you Google UK's channel 4 TV station you might find a link.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That was a pretty wild couple of days.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
theres been a few of the 'real time' amateur footage documentaries released since the attack.

and each time they evoke many emotions
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
And what is really sad is that as powerful as that stuff is/was, mainstream America has already forgotten and moved on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And what is really sad is that as powerful as that stuff is/was, mainstream America has already forgotten and moved on.

This. There are few that will always remember. But the masses have since forgotten and probably never cared anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Great Britain is the best friend the US can have. I was very moved when I watched the reactions of the British citizens after the attacks. Rows and rows of flowers and vigils, American flags waving and prayers being sent.

I even got a chance to hangout with a few British Soldiers on my way to theater.

I have never forgotten and I never will, the attack and the worlds reaction and support.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Great Britain is the best friend the US can have. I was very moved when I watched the reactions of the British citizens after the attacks. Rows and rows of flowers and vigils, American flags waving and prayers being sent.

I even got a chance to hangout with a few British Soldiers on my way to theater.

I have never forgotten and I never will, the attack and the worlds reaction and support.

Yeah man I agree. The history we have with the British is amazing. We have a long history with them. While I was in the Marines I met a few Royal Marines and their a bunch of good guys. The U.S. Marines and the Royal Marines have a long history to.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#8]
It was shown on the History Channel.  What burned into my soul was the music playing at the WTC before the towers fell.  An instrumental version of Billy Joel's She's Always a Woman.

Every time I hear that song, I remember.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:38:42 AM EDT
[#9]

A very, very dark day, especially for those of us in the NY Metro area.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember I was installing a big irrigation systen at a retirement home.
My wife called me and said we were being bombed.
Tragic....
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Brave men and women in all the services who attended.

I remember sitting with my colleagues watching them RVing outside the towers and then going in. We all looked at each other. Nothing was said but we all knew that they were doomed if it collapsed.

I dont think I will forget. I have seen a few upsetting things. I never forget. It makes me that little bit more appreciative of what I have.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I never forgot 2/26/93 when the bomb went off, and on 9/11/01 I knew it was different players on the same team, to finish the same job
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:20:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't believe how long it has been. I was a high school  junior in history class watching it live. Seeing that footage still puts a lump in my throat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The footage I remember the most is from some fire fighters who are down in the basement of the first tower when it falls.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#15]

I was working for United Airlines during that time frame (and working that morning). I still have the computer printout which directed us to "cease all air operations immediately".

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#16]
OP thank you for your words of support.

Man it sure got dusty in here all of a sudden.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#17]
the thing that always brings me to tears is the footage immediately after the collapse where you hear what must be hundreds of pass devices going off. When you go through fire school you're taught that is the sound of a brother or sister dying.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep.

Was talking to someone I used to work with recently, and we were discussing this very thing, and how, in some ways, we haven't moved on at all.

It's never that long ago for us. All I have to do is close my eyes... and I'm right back there again.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#19]
It's one of those events where you will always remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news.

I was sitting in the dentist chair.  I remember the Hygenist being absolutely terrified.   She could hardly keep it together long enough to finish cleaning my teeth.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#20]
And now Bloomberg and his ilk are helping the 'brothers' of those responsible to build a 'Victory Mosque'........

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't think I'll ever be forgetting.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brave men and women in all the services who attended.

I remember sitting with my colleagues watching them RVing outside the towers and then going in. We all looked at each other. Nothing was said but we all knew that they were doomed if it collapsed.

I dont think I will forget. I have seen a few upsetting things. I never forget. It makes me that little bit more appreciative of what I have.

I remember every second of it even today. I remember driving back down the M6 having been working away on a Op.  Got a call through from a colleague who said to turn on Radio 5 live........the report had just come in that a light aircraft had crashed into the WTC minutes before.

I was home within 30 minutes and my colleague pulled up in y drive behind me... We went straight into the house, swtiched on the news (Fox) and as soon as I saw the hole I got a sinking feeling that it was no accident.  My colleague and I watched as the second aircraft hit....... there was no doubt then.

We reported straght back in and were told to stay put but be ready if we were needed.  Comms would contact us in due course.

It was an incendiary mixture of incredulity, horror and adrenaline that you get before a fight.  To see our friends get so badly wounded had a significant physical and emotional impact.  There was a sense of helplessness because we couldn't do anything to help.

I remember saying to my colleague "Oh shit, someone just kicked the sleeping lion..... they are about to get mauled."  It was an off the cuff remark at the time.

As B_R says..... we were half expecting an attack on British soil. We were right there with you.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

As B_R says..... we were half expecting an attack on British soil. We were right there with you.

Regardless of our retarded leaders and some of our mindless masses, good patriotic Americans view y'all as brothers. We're truly appreciative of every time that y'all have stood by our side.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was working for United Airlines during that time frame (and working that morning). I still have the computer printout which directed us to "cease all air operations immediately".

Has an image of that printout ever been published?  IMO that has the same historical value as a printout like this....

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I just watched some of the videos on The History Channel's web page and it was very, very hard to watch.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Makes you wonder where we would be at today, if the President had actually put the country on a true war footing rather than tell us to continue shopping...

Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, North Korea, and Syria would all be transformed today.

My 5 year old son will be fighting these same assholes 15 years from now because we didn't move to total war that day...

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#27]
With respect to Great Britain and the terrorist attacks in New York, the thing that moved me the most was the Memorial Service that Friday in Christopher Wren's St. Paul's in London,  when the Queen stood with the audience and sang what the British announcer called "Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory".  

The image of the Queen, singing Battle Hymn of the Republic, at the burial site of Nelson, Wellington, where Churchill's funeral was held, showed what a true ally Great Britain is, and should always be.  

The political differences of the revolution?  The burning of Washington in the War of 1812?  History.  Our unwavering support in World War 2?  Repaid.

Great Britain, please don't take the removal of the Churchill bust from the Oval Office to reflect the sentiments of the American people .  We stand with you, as you stand with us.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Makes you wonder where we would be at today, if the President had actually put the country on a true war footing rather than tell us to continue shopping...
Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, North Korea, and Syria would all be transformed today.

Okay, what would we have done on a "true war footing" that would make the second half of your statement true?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I am moved to tears every time I watch this video.
Americans outside Buckingham Palace

The day after 9/11. Stranded Americans congregate outside Buckingham Palace in London, England. They can't go home because a no-fly order is in operation. The Queen orders the Guards to play the Star Spangled Banner as a sign of the UK's sympathy for the USA. Even Prince Andrew can be seen stood to attention.
An astonishing departure from tradition, Brits are also moved to tears when this clip is televised.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Damn...still gets me everytime...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:With respect to Great Britain and the terrorist attacks in New York, the thing that moved me the most was the Memorial Service that Friday in Christopher Wren's St. Paul's in London,  when the Queen stood with the audience and sang what the British announcer called "Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory".  The image of the Queen, singing Battle Hymn of the Republic, at the burial site of Nelson, Wellington, where Churchill's funeral was held, showed what a true ally Great Britain is, and should always be.  The political differences of the revolution?  The burning of Washington in the War of 1812?  History.  Our unwavering support in World War 2?  Repaid.Great Britain, please don't take the removal of the Churchill bust from the Oval Office to reflect the sentiments of the American people .  We stand with you, as you stand with us.

Ever seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwrX-LN9-L0

You Sir, have made me cry.

Thank you.  I had never seen that.

ETA:  I never even thought of YouTube to find those.  Damn.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:49:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#37]
My wife and I saw that same footage here once.

We've looked, and keep looking - and don't know why they don't show it again.

The best reason, I guess, is because it was too well done - and brings the entire event back on a time line that few can ever forget.  It gives you the up close - too up close, too real - feel of the tragedy as it unfolded.

I hope to see it again someday, people need to watch it every so often - to remember and not forget all the people - both the evil and the good - the victims and the responders, the everyday Janes and the Joes.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Me and my father were in the World Trade Center the day before the attacks,then he woke my up the next morning to see it on TV.My whole family was ready to go and give blood and do what ever we could but the news said to not come down because they did not have a need for blood yet and the need never came.

I was working in the Bronx at the time and could see the smoke for weeks from the roof of the public school I was working at along with the fighter jets circling the area .One of the reasons we all packed up and moved to FL.To this day I still get all choked up and want to nuke any country the had any people that had anything to do with the attack.Fucking cowards.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Speaking for myself, I find all the TV coverage has an unreal quality to me when I watch it. I guess because I never saw any of it at the time.

It still makes me uncomfortable to watch some of it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless of our retarded leaders and some of our mindless masses, good patriotic Americans view y'all as brothers. We're truly appreciative of every time that y'all have stood by our side.

The feeling is mutual, mate
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#41]
The only documentary I've seen..... Had building two collapsing with a camera crew & FDNY inside....trapped!

To hear all those PASS devices going off on all of my FDNY brothern SCBA's sent chills up my spine.... It was real emotional.... I cried!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
With respect to Great Britain and the terrorist attacks in New York, the thing that moved me the most was the Memorial Service that Friday in Christopher Wren's St. Paul's in London,  when the Queen stood with the audience and sang what the British announcer called "Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory".  

The image of the Queen, singing Battle Hymn of the Republic, at the burial site of Nelson, Wellington, where Churchill's funeral was held, showed what a true ally Great Britain is, and should always be.  

The political differences of the revolution?  The burning of Washington in the War of 1812?  History.  Our unwavering support in World War 2?  Repaid.

Great Britain, please don't take the removal of the Churchill bust from the Oval Office to reflect the sentiments of the American people .  We stand with you, as you stand with us.

To be honest, if the man in the Oval Office doean't appreciate the significance of the bust, then we'll gladly take it back... Wouldn't want it to be in the posession of somone who doesn't want it so we'll bring it home.

That has no reflection on the solid relationship that the British people have with the American people.  The actions of one man don't reflect the feelings of a whole nation.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The only documentary I've seen..... Had building two collapsing with a camera crew & FDNY inside....trapped!

I believe that was the French crew. They also shot some of the only footage of the first impact.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that was the French crew. They also shot some of the only footage of the first impact.

Yes that was it!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes that was it!

I've only seen one other video of the first impact. Those guys shot some pretty historic footage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
... The image of the Queen, singing Battle Hymn of the Republic, at the burial site of Nelson, Wellington, where Churchill's funeral was held, showed what a true ally Great Britain is, and should always be.  

Unlike the media portrayal, and Presidential posturing, my family, friends and colleagues see GB as our #1 ally.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes that was it!

I've only seen one other video of the first impact. Those guys shot some pretty historic footage.

Yes......They did!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#48]
What's the documentary called?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#49]
What a way to start out a Sunday morning, crying.  This stuff is still all to raw.  FUCK YOU to all of you cocksuckers who don't get emotional over 9/11.  You are just as bad as muj himself.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top