Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2010 10:51:36 AM EDT
It's a ceramic-looking tub, just like the majority of tubs out there.  I want to remove it to put in a shower.

Do I just take a hammer to it?  How much does a tub weigh anyway?  Got to figure out how to throw it away once it's in pieces.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Sledge hammer, eye and ear pro.  They are pretty hard to bust up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It's a ceramic-looking tub, just like the majority of tubs out there.  I want to remove it to put in a shower.
Do I just take a hammer to it?  How much does a tub weigh anyway?  Got to figure out how to throw it away once it's in pieces.
If it's acrylic, use a Sawzall.
If it's enamel, it's probably cast iron.

Wear ear and eye pro.  It'll be loud when you whack it with a sledge, and the enamel shards can really fly.

ETA: Leather gloves, when you pick up the pieces.  The edges of the enamel can cut like a broken bottle.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]
If it's a porcelain-coated cast iron tub, forget it. Not even a Sawzall is gonna touch it. You'll need a torch to cut it up.

Either that, or get a few strong friends to help you lift it and carry it out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#4]
LOL, maybe it's porcelinized cast iron.
One good whack will ring YOUR bell, and you'll nuts will fall out of your brithces if you try to move it!
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Pack it with Tannerite.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#6]
both cast iron and porcelen are easily broken up with a 10# or bigger sledge .I've done both kinds many times
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Uh, turn off the water too.....

lol

Pav
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#8]
BFH will do. Its a mess, I have done it. Enamel shards everywhere to clean up.

If I had to do it again I would carry it out intact and take to the dump.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Disconnect the drain and overflow plumbing (and any other plumbing).   Pull the wall tiles off around the tub.  Unscrew or pry nails out holding tub to wall.  Carry the tub out unless it is cast iron in which case an extra buddy or wheeled dolly would be handy.  

The tub may be an enameled sheet metal tub and they are not that heavy.

God luck
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

BFH will do. Its a mess, I have done it. Enamel shards everywhere to clean up.

If I had to do it again I would carry it out intact and take to the dump.
Yeah, but sometimes carrying out of a tight bath, and down stairs, is more trouble than it's worth.

Especially since the help usually shows up 2 hours after you're done.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I've done it before, I just used a canvas tarp over the top to keep the shards/shrapnel under control.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Have fun. I've done a few that way.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If it's a porcelain-coated cast iron tub, forget it. Not even a Sawzall is gonna touch it. You'll need a torch to cut it up.

Either that, or get a few strong friends to help you lift it and carry it out.

He could take a sledgehammer to it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
LOL, maybe it's porcelinized cast iron.
One good whack will ring YOUR bell, and you'll nuts will fall out of your brithces if you try to move it!

Just restore the enamel lol

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Never done it but it sounds like you will need a couple of carefully placed shape charges.  Just aim it toward the backyard.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Circular saw & masonry blades...

Beats the hell out of hammering, or a sawzall, any day... And they will cut ANYTHING.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#17]
What size floor joists do you have.
Plaster ceiling or sheetock.
IF you need to break up the tub, yank it out of the opening, place it on the tile floor, lay a moving blanket over it and swing away.

I can take them out of the room and down the stairl alone but I've done this for the last 30 years.
Stairs: cover with drop cloth put rope through drain and overflow holes...lower away.

It's not about the lifting it's about the thinking.

Figure 300lbs. they are stamped on the back on older ones.

We took one that scrapped at 475lbs...that was a 2 man job.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Just did this same thing 2 months ago.  6ft Kohler cast iron with enamel. 3/8 thick cast iron. Estimated weight for the 6ft tub was about 550 lbs.

I started swinging on it and after 30 blows the kids told me the light fixtures were coming down.  

Plan 2 - Me and the kids eased it out of it's opening, propped it on it's side, put a double layer of cardboard boxes on the floor and slid it to the top of the stairs.  

Then I tied some 3/4 rappelling rope to the drain hole and put the wife and 15yr old daughter on the rope at the top of the stairs and me and the 22 yr old daughter eased it down the stairs (more boxes) on it's side - out the front door and into the utility trailer.

In 30 blows I managed to knock a piece of cast iron out that was 2x2 inches.  From what my remod friend told me it sounded like a piece of cake - it wasn't
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UU3cjNFKOgPfZFy6BXG-pTfZEePAtn-u3-TPuiQp2MDF5F2JgrEQcj8QLnh9AHnfbDXr35xrxEaIc9WDTuPNxrHPjIbLtyuRUgY9D3UMha5FyUESRhRVz8rLehaWm-pZ3ylVr3txbxvXyb6r-QPIHXwe3tphRsKaP_-2Dckm318ejb5xaKJC7-KyZwNGHG_FXhM3J9DTCfQyyHXq

Circular saw & masonry blades...

Beats the hell out of hammering, or a sawzall, any day... And they will cut ANYTHING.

If it's cast iron, a sledge and some elbow grease will work better than any saw, especially a regular circular saw. And steel-cutting blades don't work all that well in cast iron. If it's porcelainized sheet steel, it won't weigh much.

OP:  If it's cast iron, a 10 or 12# sledge, even an 8# in a pinch, will bust it up quick. Don't start at the top of the tub, it's stronger there. Begin with the sidewall, either in the tub or on the skirt, and keep hitting it in the same spot. Hard. Once you get a crack started, it'll get easier and easier as you go. Props to the poster who suggested a heavy drop cloth, that shit flies everywhere. Goggles are also prudent. Porcelain is basically glass, it's easy to get cut with it.

If it's steel, all you'll do with the hammer is make shards and dent the hell out of the tub. Remove it and carry it down the stairs, 2 people should be able to do this no problem.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sledge hammer, eye and ear pro.  They are pretty hard to bust up.

I did it once,never again. I was braking it with a sledge hammer.

3 hrs later it was broken up enough to get the largepieces out.

The cast iron broke up into shards like broken glass. Be careful if going that route. Use Eye/Ear & Gloves for protection.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

both cast iron and porcelen are easily broken up with a 10# or bigger sledge .I've done both kinds many times

yep, but if its the cheap non cast iron enamel its not so easy.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Uh, turn off the water too.....

lol

Pav

In before the "Now you tell me!!!" post.

_MaH
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#23]
IF you have to break it up, break the top of the apron first.
I used the small Estwing splitting maul once...not bad.
The longer sledges transfers alot of shock into the floor.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Sledgehammer or sawzall depending on the material.  You'll know what it's made out of after the first hammer hit.  Adjust your tactics accordingly.  Demo is very easy work most of the time.  People tend to make it harder for themselves.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I busted up one of these about a month ago. If it's porcelain or some sort of ceramic/acrylic, just pound it with a sledgehammer.

If it's cast iron, you're in for the long haul.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I wonder if dumping some dry ice in alcohol in the bottom of a cast iron tub would make it shatter easier.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:46:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Update??
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:57:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Disconnect the drain and overflow plumbing (and any other plumbing).   Pull the wall tiles off around the tub.  Unscrew or pry nails out holding tub to wall.  Carry the tub out unless it is cast iron in which case an extra buddy or wheeled dolly would be handy.  

God luck

This.  It may be a little more work on the front end but you won't have a huge mess to clean up later.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Update??

I tried a sledgehammer, but it ended up being enameled steel not cast iron.  Steel was a good 3/8" inch thick.  Talk about ringing your bell...I think I still hear that ringing.

Had to cut the tub in two with a circular saw and an angle grinder.  Was a lot of work.

I have it gone so I'm happy.  Debating on using a 30" x 60" Tile Redi shower pan vs. making my own concrete shower pan.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Measured old tub again and it was 1/2" thick solid steel, not the 3/8" I said above.  Isn't steel still worth money to the recyclers?  This is a couple hundred pounds.  Do they care that it has an enamel coating?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Steel is worth a little but not as much as you would think.  If the scrap yard is on your way i would stop by and drop it off.  Baring that shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#35]
"Is it ticking...?

It is?

Quickly, put it in the bathtub, leave the building, and call the bomb squad, in that order..."
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Your tub was 1/2" thick STEEL????

I'm not buying it.

Whatever reason on Earth is there to make a tub out of 1/2" steel when 1/4" would work as well?

Im betting cast iron...is the surface rough, or smooth? ...ie  ...cast iron or stamped steel?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Measured old tub again and it was 1/2" thick solid steel, not the 3/8" I said above.  Isn't steel still worth money to the recyclers?  This is a couple hundred pounds.  Do they care that it has an enamel coating?

It's gotta be ductile iron . Steel tubs are 12ga or thinner . Not that it matters now , but you can break DI with a hammer . You just need to score it first .
The good news is it's worth more as scrap then a steel tub
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

God luck

This. You can go all hardcore and get out the sledge hammer and beat yourself to death or do it the easy way like the professionals do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top