Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2002 2:40:16 AM EDT
Is there any shiftworkers amongst us? I'm currently working a rotating 8 hour swingshift for a oil refinery. We are trying to find a better way. Is is 12 hour shifts? I need all the information and opinions I can get. Thanks in advanced.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:54:18 AM EDT
[#1]
errol- I'm starting tonight building scaffolding at a refinery here in Bellingham. We normally work 10 hr shifts. I was told a study was done and more work is accomplished in 10 hr shifts than 8 hr shifts.
Our work is bid at 4/10s. So all day friday is OT.All day saturday is OT. Seems we always work 50 to 60 hrs a week during the turnarounds. Sometimes more depending on the refinery.
Don't know if this helps you but it sure helps me. I'll be makin some money and thats what I'm talking.[:)]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks rainman. But it has to be a 24/7 operation. Refinerys never shut down. 4-10's is the best schedule that a person could want. Our shift goes like this: 7 to 3, 3 to 11 and 11 to 7. 7 afternoons then 4 days off, 7 midnights then 2 days off, 6 days then 2 days off. And that is all straight time. Makes for a long week.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I never understood why they rotate shifts like that other than to piss people off. Why can't you just work a day shift, a swing shift or a night shift? Whats the object of jerking you around?

I understand everybody needs a couple days off now and then. What about part time workers?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:19:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Its a long and funny story. But the oldtimers say "its been that way for 40 years". I'm a proud union worker but the old school of thought has to be looked at. The trend seems to be a 12 hour shift. Alot of us at the plant want to know which is the best.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:41:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:47:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Brat, this is the kind of info I need. How long ago did you go to 12's. How did you go about it. Its is only because of the oldtimers that we can't get change. The real sad part is that it won't even effect them because they are in the maintenance division. We have 3 refineries in a 15 mile radius. Both of them work 12's, we don't. Doesn't makes sense does it!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:06:55 AM EDT
[#8]
We are PACE members also. It is just a local issue. Although the pay week ends on Monday morning. We work 7 shifts of 8 hours twice a month. That is 56 hours of straight pay. It just isn't right. I'm trying to find any factual info to bring to the union floor for discussion. We want this only in Operations also, so it won't effect maintenance. They would stay on 8's.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I work in printing and I have a pretty messed up schedule.
7pm to 7am
Mon-Tues: On
Wed-Thurs: Off
Fri-Sun: On
Mon-Tues: Off
Wed-Thurs:On
Fri-Sun: Off
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:53:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its a long and funny story. But the oldtimers say "its been that way for 40 years". I'm a proud union worker but the old school of thought has to be looked at. The trend seems to be a 12 hour shift. Alot of us at the plant want to know which is the best.
View Quote

At the Refinery I work at, we work the Dupont schedule, 12 hour shifts.
4 on 7A-7P Mon-Thurs
7 OFF
4 on 7P-7A Fri-Mon
3 OFF
3 on 7A-7P Fri-Sun
1 OFF
3 on 7P-7A Tues-Thurs
3 OFF
Start over.
The oldtimers at our plant who didn't like the 12 hour shift, retired. If management tried to put us back on 8 hour shift, we would strike.

GIB
[sniper]
View Quote

Now that sounds familiar![:D]

I work at a government installation and we work the same shift.  Of course that could be due to the fact that Dupont was the primary contractor when we switched to the 12hr shift.  The 12hr shift works out to a substantial increase in pay, but the older I get the more I wonder if working those midnights are worth it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I work 12 hour shifts. 7am-7pm Thursday, Friday, Saturday & every other Wednesday. Every hour after 8 a day is overtime, so I get a minimum of four hours overtime every day.

The time off is really nice.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I also work 12 hr shifts at an Oil refinery we use a modified Dupont schedule its:
4 Days ON
3 Days OFF
7 Nights ON
4 Days OFF
3 days ON
7 Days OFF :)

I Love this schedule we switched to it about a yr ago. You should try and get a hold of circadian tech. that develop work schedules for shiftworkers and study there effect on shiftworkers lives outside of work.

Clint
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:28:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my schedule, I work 5PM to 3AM (10 hrs)

4 Days on (starts on a Monday)
4 Days off
1 training (1/2 day)
5 days on
3 days off
1 training (1/2 day)
5 days on
5 days off

repeat the cycle

so it works out that I get five days off in a row every month, and work two weekends a month.
10 hour shifts are worth it.

Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Rotating shifts since 1975. Started 10hr shifts about 7 mo. ago. I like it because most breaks are 3 or 4 days off. Every 12 weeks we get a 6 day brake. Only problem is making sure you don't carry over too much leave time and "donate" it to the government.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I love my shift:

3 pm - 3 am - mon
3 pm - 3 am - tue
off - wed
off - thu
3 pm - 3 am - fri
3 pm - 3 am - sat
3 pm - 11 pm - sun

off - mon
off - tue
3 pm - 3 am - wed
3 pm - 3 am - thu
off - fri
off - sat
off - sun

based on a two week pay period = 80 hrs
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Our 12 hour night shifts are two on, two off, three on(weekend), then next week is two off, two on, three off(weekend).  To cover the one week that is short, 36 hours, we start the new week on Sat. night at 0300.  So 4 hours goes to the new week and 8 hours go to the previous week and we end up with 4 hours overtime for that week.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Are there safety and/or productivity problems that result from fatigue at the end of a 12 hour shift?  
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I work the B shift at the Lot.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are there safety and/or productivity problems that result from fatigue at the end of a 12 hour shift?  
View Quote

I don't think so. I find that right after lunch seems to be were most people at are plant start feeling a little tired but by 2 most have a second wind and are ready for the rest of the day. I find that going to 8hrs days for training will flat drive me crazy. The day is way to short and I feel like I have less time with the family and 2 days off just don't cut it.

For shift work info you really should take a look at [url]http://www.circadian.com/[/url]

Clint
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

At the Refinery I work at, we work the Dupont schedule, 12 hour shifts.
4 on 7A-7P Mon-Thurs
7 OFF
4 on 7P-7A Fri-Mon
3 OFF
3 on 7A-7P Fri-Sun
1 OFF
3 on 7P-7A Tues-Thurs
3 OFF
Start over.
The oldtimers at our plant who didn't like the 12 hour shift, retired. If management tried to put us back on 8 hour shift, we would strike.

GIB
[sniper]
View Quote

Same schedule here.  I didn't think I was going to like it at first, but now I love it.  At my previous job, we worked 4-on/4-off(2 days, then 2 nights).  But IMHO, the DuPont schedule rocks.  You get 7 days off in a row every month!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:34:01 AM EDT
[#23]
12 hour shifts are the best.
Heres how it works
SMTWTFS SMTWTFS SMTWTFS SMTWTFS SMTWTFS
X222XXX  1111XXX  XXXX222  2XXX111  XXEEEEX

X=DAY OFF
2=7AM TO 7PM (12Hours)
1=7PM TO 7AM (12Hours)
E=7AM TO 3PM (8 Hours)

Total of 200 hours worked in 5 weeks.
48 hour weeks, The last 8 hours is paid at the overtime rate.
7PM To 7AM is paid at the midnight premium rate.
All Sundays worked are paid at the overtime rate.

Vacations are taken on the "E" week.

Work for a utility company, Been working this schedule for over 10 years, Everyone loves it.
When we started it we had a lot of complaints, A month passed & all complaints disappeared.

We worked 4 different 8 Hour shift type schedules, They all Sucked, Always tired & burned out.
If you have to work around the clock 12 Hour schedules are the only way to get quality time off!

I edited to try to line up the days with the schedule.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top