Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2002 12:33:47 PM EDT
Looks like this has a good chance of passing. What do you all think? I gotta find the link to this bill. But basicaly states that the county sheriffs have to issue you a carry permit if you can pass a backround check, and take a class. as it is right now it is up to the sheriff and police chief to decide if they want to issue permits.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if it has a good chance of passing but it is probably better than the no compromise bill 1242. 1242 is shall issue without the safety class, ability for sheriff to deny, and I think you can carry more places. I think 1410 has more areas that are off limits for any carry. We should really be pushing for 1242, it comes up for second reading tomorrow so there is still time to contact your representatives before it comes up for final vote in the house. If 1242 fails 1410 will still come in behind it (for a vote) so we still have a chance.

Here is the link to Colorado bills:
[url]http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/stateleg.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#3]
HB 1242 is a good bill, which is why it probably doesn't stand a chance of passing through the state legislature. [rolleyes]
I've been talking to several state reps and the Colorado State Shooting Association, too.  The CSSA told me that even if HB1242 makes it out of the legislature and to Gov. Owens' desk, he'll veto it.  Good! At least it would show all the fence-sitting gunowners in the state what a weasel the guy really is.  Anybody remember the last time he pissed off the gunowners who helped to elect him?  His response: [b]"What are they going to do?  Vote for a democrat?"[/b]

HB1410, on the other hand, is a piece of crap.  There is a provision in the bill which allows a sheriff to deny a permit to an applicant based not on a background check, but on a sheriff's "judgement" of whether or not the applicant would be a danger to others.  In other words, if the sheriff can show "documentable" proof that you may be a danger, NO PERMIT FOR YOU!  Of course, nowhere in HB1410 are there any standards for said "documentation. It seems a sheriff could write his thoughts on a cocktail napkin and call it documentable proof.  Your only recourse against this abuse is going to district court for a judicial review of the "evidence" against you.  There are absolutely no penalties in the bill to prevent a sheriff from abusing this "may-issue" clause.

As RickyJ said, call your reps and tell them to support HB1242.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought HB 1242 was already history. and 1410 passed the last vote on it and is on its way up for another vote
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought HB 1242 was already history. and 1410 passed the last vote on it and is on its way up for another vote
View Quote

Nope.  HB1242 just made it out of the appropriations committee last week.  It's now going to the house floor.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I think that we have hope for something better than the current situation.  Now people in metro Denver have a chance.  

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=106562]A thread from last week[/url]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think that we have hope for something better than the current situation.  Now people in metro Denver have a chance.  

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=106562]A thread from last week[/url]
View Quote

If you really believe that Denver County won't take every opportunity to abuse the authority given to them with the "naked man" provision written into HB 1410, well, more power to ya.

Not meant as a flame, IMHO, but living in Jefferson County with Sheriff John "Columbine" Stone at the helm of the sheriff's department has made me a little leery of granting a sheriff the power to use his "good judgement" in granting carry permits, regardless of the applicant's clean criminal record.

How is this any different than the current situation, with the exception of possibility of getting a judicial review in district court if you're unfairly denied a permit?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I am optimistic about this one, Yankee, because, like I said, it's "better".  Not perfect, less than ideal, but better.  A step in the right direction.  There may be abuses.  All just speculation now.  We'll see.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#10]
What really sucks is we have to sit here and say things like its better than nothing
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]

snip
His response: [b]"What are they going to do?  Vote for a democrat?"[/b]

snip
View Quote

I can't wait to see this A-hole go down in flames at the next election.  I've got news for him, I WILL vote for a democrat if I have to!  Better the enemy you know than the one you don't...
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

snip
His response: [b]"What are they going to do?  Vote for a democrat?"[/b]

snip
View Quote

I can't wait to see this A-hole go down in flames at the next election.  I've got news for him, I WILL vote for a democrat if I have to!  Better the enemy you know than the one you don't...
View Quote

I would hate to se a Democrap win but I may have to agree with you on this one
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Not meant as a flame, IMHO, but living in Jefferson County with Sheriff John "Columbine" Stone at the helm of the sheriff's department has made me a little leery of granting a sheriff the power to use his "good judgement" in granting carry permits, regardless of the applicant's clean criminal record.

View Quote

Stone is out in January, and there is only one Democrat running for Sheriff.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Stone is out in January, and there is only one Democrat running for Sheriff.
View Quote

Amen.  But who's to say his replacement won't be a bigger butthead?  Remember, John Stone is a republican.  Political affiliation at that level means squat.

I'll be moving to the western slope within the year (where sanity and logic still seem to rule over emotion), so Stone's replacement isn't a huge concern to me.  But the language of HB1410 is nothing more than a "may issue" bill masquerading as a "shall issue" bill.

The CSSA and other Colorado gun groups refused to support Sen. Chlouber's CCW bill last year because it contained a VERY similar provision.  How is this compromise different enough to warrant the CSSA's support?  The president and vice president of the CSSA still won't directly answer that question for me.  

I'd love to see a decent, shall issue CCW bill become law in Colorado, but I wouldn't define a half-assed, poorly written compromise bill as a "step forward" for gun owners.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top