Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2002 5:26:39 PM EDT
After reading about the Gaylans deals here on the group, I stopped in one during a hellish 2 hour each way drive to watch my sister's kid have his birthday party and run in circles with his friends like he does anyway.
I pick out some patches, and some NASCAR box 22LRs for a friend who is a super rabid fan.
I admire the colllection of 92FSs for each of the 5 services on sale at a rather decent retail store price, and ask the girl about the Q3131A winnie white box.
Nope, they don't have any.
I look myself, and barely spot it over the 6 feet between the counter and shelves.
I get the guy to get it. Specially marked up to $3.99 a box, you can even read where they lined out the old price.
He gets all nasty when I ask about the price hike. Even snottier when I ask if the 10% discount is good for the rounds...and really nasty snotty when I ask if there is another NASCAR 22 box in good shape. Lots of sarcasm.
I buy the 22s anyway, since I have not seen them elsewhere.
I don't think I will shop there again. Pistol prices were okay for a retail store, and they sold CCW guns unlike a lot of the chains who only sell big pistols as a policy. Someone at the top must be okay, but they hire 1. Stupid and 2. Rude counter help.
Plus, our sales tax is 6%. In order to compete on an equal basis with Eric they would have to price down to $3.75 per box. In order to compete with Eric's door service they would have to know another .25 off per box, even if I lived close (which I don't)
Since Eric is nice and they suck, they would have to take an additional one dollar off per box to get me in, over the .50 for the other stuff.
They ain't gonna do that, and I bet they don't hire better help either.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Which Galyan's was this Happy?  

A friend of mine was the hunting/firearm manager at one here in Michigan and after a couple of months quit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Novi, Michigan.

Funny story. Novi ("no-vi", vi as in viagria) is so named because it was stop number 6 on the way from detroit to the state capital. The name stuck.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
My local Galyans has decent (sometimes very good) gun and ammo prices and the employees are reasonably helpful.  Unfortunately, they stock their ammo on a shelf behind the counter where it's difficult to see the prices and both of their local stores are in a city with stupid gun laws.  As a result, I don't shop there very often.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#5]
The local Galyans here is near Grand Rapids.  The only reason I now go in there is because it is the only gun store in the new gargantuan mall I get dragged to.  I never purchase stuff there.  I just hang out at Galyans or Barnes & Noble until she is done shopping.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Novi, Michigan.
View Quote

Lived in lower Michigan for many years and never even heard of Gaylans. Is it a new chain?

Always bought my guns at Gunshows, True Value hardware, Classic Arms (Lansing), or Jay's (Clare). Really like the big new Gander Mountain store too, but never heard of a Gaylans....
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
galyans is just like any other chain gun store  [b]THEY SUCK[/b] especialy in michigan.

Same old shit,Every browning gun ever made under $1100,low end kimbers and a bunch of S&W pistols that nobody wants. While 870 express shotguns and ruger products fill up any empty spaces.
[sleep][sleep][sleep][sleep][sleep][sleep]

Jays spotting goods in clare is nice.
For me its worth the 3 hour drive to get there.
IMO though some of the best gun stores in lower michigan are in kalamazoo.

Anybody in michigan ever been to the new cabella's store in dundee?  
I hear its pretty good
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]
A friend of mine was the hunting/firearm manager at one here in Michigan and after a couple of months quit.
View Quote

nekked your not talking about Kevin are you?
last i knew he was hacking up guns as a gunsmith at the new gander mountain in grandville.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:39:57 AM EDT
[#11]
The Cabella's is nice, and they let you get your fingerprints all over the guns.
The inside is also almost as nice as the Bass Pros in the odd Great Lakes Crossing place.
Jay's in claire is where my wife found her CCW, the Ladysmith with the fingergrove rosewood grips. Nice guys there, great selection, not wonderful prices.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:20:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well I know now that I will never shop there - thanks for the heads up.

Of course, I have never even heard of them so I guess it doesn't matter[:)].
View Quote

"Ditto"

Tyler
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

IMO though some of the best gun stores in lower michigan are in kalamazoo.

View Quote

I'm in K-zoo Luger. Which ones do you think are good? On Target? The guys are mostly a good bunch, but I don't think they know what competitive prices are. D&R Sports? Definitely hunter-oriented, selection is not very broad. And finally there's Shooter's Choice. I haven't been in there much, so all I can say is that the selection is half-way decent, but the owner could go either way with you. I've seen him be decent and I've seen him be short, in that condecending and sarcastic way, with people as well.

Have I missed any?

Of course these are just my opinions, and I invite anyone else to form their own.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a case of the winchester white box at Galyans in Grandville in October. I called ahead and they set it aside with my name on it. It was 2.99 minus 10% (2.69 per box plus tax). I joined their preferred club and they sent me a coupon for $15.00 off a purchase so I went back and got another case even cheaper! The price has changed since then, but my experience with the help was pretty good. I love Jay's in Clare or their new store in Gaylord, Michigan. Also the gun store in Hastings (BOB's?) is a good place to browse.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Galyan's used to be worth a shit a few years back.  The original store is less than two miles from my house, and my grandpa used to take me there when I was a kid.  One of the Galyan girls was my 2nd grade teacher!  

Since The Limited bought them out, they really don't want to sell guns..they're turning into another Abercrombie and Fitch...which for you younger folks, used to be a bad-ass gunshop...now it just sells faggot clothes to whiffle-haircut nancy boys.

QS
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#16]
QuietShootr -

LOL!!!  I am still on the floor, laughing at that!!  Thanx for getting my Sunday started right!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

nekked your not talking about Kevin are you?
last i knew he was hacking up guns as a gunsmith at the new gander mountain in grandville.
View Quote

You've got mail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top