Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2010 5:21:08 AM EDT
Im thinking so.

Ill be testifying at a shoplifting trial.

Im an "always wear a tie to an interview" guy so Im assuming a tie to court is appropriate also.

Never had to testify before, so I dont really know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:21:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Im thinking so.

Im an "always wear a tie to an interview" guy so Im assuming a tie to court is appropriate also.

Show respect for the court.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
yes
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:22:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure it's a clip on in case the perp jumps up and tries to choke you out with it
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:23:33 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're in a court you should be wearing a suit and tie.

Especially if you're part of the trial.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:23:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Make sure it's a clip on in case the perp jumps up and tries to choke you out with it

A valid point
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#6]
My general rule is, never enter a courtroom unless you are dressed well enough to be mistaken for one of the attorneys.

Put on a good suit.  

Some people think this is overkill,  but it never hurts to dress to impress.  I think it WILL increase your credibility

as a witness.   People ARE influenced by what they see and hear.
CJ

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#7]
No.
Wear a T-Shirt that says,,,,
"I'm not guilty but he is"
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#8]
You should show a greater level of respect for the court than you would a job interview.

Wear several ties.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My general rule is, never enter a courtroom unless you are dressed well enough to be mistaken for one of the attorneys.

Put on a good suit.  

Some people think this is overkill,  but it never hurts to dress to impress.  I think it WILL increase your credibility
as a witness.   People ARE influenced by what they see and hear.

CJ

On TV I see defendants who look like a Devil's Disciple the defense tried to run thru a car wash and clean up. The suit looks like something out of a yard sale and the tie's atrocious. I've always wondered what the impact of that is.

On the other hand, what if YOU are on the receiving end of justice, you come in dressed like James Bond (Roger Moore version), you look over and the jury's dressed in wifebeaters and tube tops.

Anyway, I vote the OP wears a tie, at least a sportcoat.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you're in a court you should be wearing a suit and tie.

Especially if you're part of the trial.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:42:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, you should wear a leash and a collar, to show that you are capable of being controlled.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, dress professional
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:59:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Wear a shirt that says "Jury Nullification".

It's an inside joke for judges.  They freaking love it.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I vote suit...seriously, my generation has completely fucked respect in this day and age.  Of course, I still dress nice when flying too, maybe im just getting outdated.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:04:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes.  Wear a tie and a jacket.  

A dark colored tie is best.  Maroon or blue.  White shirt, dark blue jacket.  
Just something conservative, and not flashy.  Someone mentioned a clip
on tie.  I always wear clip ons.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:06:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Im thinking so.

So what did ya steal?  

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Van Halen 1984 tour tshirt, cutoff faded jeans, and a cigarette on your ear.

Of course wear a tie!

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:16:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Wear a good suit but with flip flops.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Depends on the area and the court, but if you have a tie, wear one. The judge will appreciate it, particularly from a subpoena-ed witness who is getting dragged into court. I think jurors pay a little more attention to someone who dresses appropriately.

I wouldn't run out and buy a suit or sportcoat, but if you have one, wear it.  One of my buddies who got sued met me before court in a suit that maybe fit him 100 pounds ago, poor bastard I sent him back home to change into slacks and a polo shirt since that's what he had that fit.

Yep, today's world definitely looks positively upon a well-dressed white man!

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:33:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Depends on the area and the court, but if you have a tie, wear one. The judge will appreciate it, particularly from a subpoena-ed witness who is getting dragged into court. I think jurors pay a little more attention to someone who dresses appropriately.

I wouldn't run out and buy a suit or sportcoat, but if you have one, wear it.  One of my buddies who got sued met me before court in a suit that maybe fit him 100 pounds ago, poor bastard I sent him back home to change into slacks and a polo shirt since that's what he had that fit.

Thanks guys.  I WAS going to wear a suit.

#1:  Iv lost 25lbs. since the last time I wore the suit I have.  On top of that it was off the shelf and never tailored so it was really too big for me 25lbs ago.  Yea, Im swimming in that thing.  Even a tie is out of the question today.

#2:  ADA just called and said he doesnt need me because the dude is taking the plea.  What an assclown.

Fuck, now Im going to have to go drop some $$$ on a suit... again.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:37:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Of course, I still dress nice when flying too, maybe im just getting outdated.

Unless you're showing up to a meeting soon after you get off the plane, why?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Just go get that suit tailored.  Congrats on the weight loss too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I testified in a murder trial 3 weeks ago. I had to drive an hour and a half from work to testify, then drive back to return to work.

I wear khaki pants and a collared shirt to work and that's what I wore to court.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Thanks.  Ya I think thats a good call.  How much does that usually cost?

The suit never really fit me to begin with.  I was dumb and just bought it off the shelf at Khols.  Will they be able to tailor it that much?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You should show a greater level of respect for the court than you would a job interview.

Wear several ties.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.  Ya I think thats a good call.  How much does that usually cost?

The suit never really fit me to begin with.  I was dumb and just bought it off the shelf at Khols.  Will they be able to tailor it that much?

it quickly adds up. Bear in mind that in most cases, they're taking apart the entire suit and putting it back together. Get an estimate, maybe several. If it turns out that the tailor alterations cost you more than getting an entirely new suit, just go get another suit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top