Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2010 6:46:02 PM EDT
I have owned lots of bikes over the years and I always keep coming back to this one-  the KLR 650.

Bought this off craigslist 3 weeks ago for 3000 bucks.  PO had already done some good things to it and I still have some stuff to do before I am done.

Took it out today and had a blast.  This pic was taken today high on a bluff somewhere in South Park near Hartsel, Colorado.  I came home and the brown truck had left me my skid plate and rear brake housing guard and doohicky parts.  

Love to see your KLRs and even hear about your like's, dislikes, and your non negotiable MODs.  This is my third one.  Had an 07 Red, an 08 Green, and now this 06 Green.  Between the new ones and the old style, I would say the new ones are a little better on the highway but the old ones are better off road if only because there isn't so much expensive plastic to bust up.   I put a smaller front sprocket on so I could do some low speed stuff on rough trails.  Still runs around 65 MPH at 4700 RPM.  That's fast enough for me.  I am old enough to know that I can get killed on one of these things.

Patrick

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
toying with the idea of making a M1030M1E clone

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Got an '04 with only 1800 miles on in back in April for $2700.  No complaints as yet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Got an 09, it's ok.  I like it, but I should have gotten a Suzuki DL650 for the direction I've gone with it.  The DL would have been nearly as good on gravel roads, and much better on paved roads.
Got almost 10k on it in, just did the doo, haven't managed to ride it much in the last two months, though that will be changing soon.  I did the 16t front sprocket, and added ammo can side boxes.  Had a BBQ top box for a while, proving how cheap KLR owners can be.  Other than that it's stone stock.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]

KLR 685.

Do the doo before the doo do you.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a KLR 250, and it is great as well.  I have had plenty of other bikes, but this one, I have held onto.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Red 07 checking in!

Need more free time so that I can go riding though

The only non-negotiable farkle, if you ride dirt, is a set of barkbusters.

Other stuff to take a look at:
http://www.doubletakemirror.com/
http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?subcat_id=268
http://store.ricorshocks.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=42
http://motocd.com/
http://eagle-m-e.com/productlist.htm Home of the Doo!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Kolor By Krylon Fusion in a rattle can. It was done by the previous owner, has held up really well.

I went with a taller windscreen to get rid of the buffeting at freeway speeds. The tall screen just raised it up so I got beat around the head instead of under it. Pretty brutal. I pulled the screen off completely and am happy with the wind protection. It's not like the stock screen ever did anything for you anyway......  DOT legal knobbies are magic on a KLR, but they wear out in 1500 miles and are EXTREMELY LOUD on the freeway. Couldn't wait to get rid of them. Went back to the stock tires.

This bike has had the carb mod done and the Doohickey installed. It's pushing 20,000 miles now, still runs great. I plan to install a throttle lock/cruise control, a better seat, and maybe the 6 gallon Acerbis tank. That's it. Not my best bike, not my worst-but I'll keep it til it dies. There's something to be said for a bike that you don't car if it gets rained on or you go down a mud road. This is a bike that I can throw a bag on and go out of state for a weekend or run across town and not give a shit what people think about it. It's a totally different experience to putting on a full roadrace suit and riding my GSXR....
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]
08 owner here. Bought it off craigslist with 1300 miles for $4000, has 9000 miles now. Modded with the 16t sprocket, some pelicans, and duct tape.
It's pretty much my daily driver. My car sat so long I ruined the battery so I try to drive it once a week.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag just to watch the goodies.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a rich man's KLR, a Honda XR-650L, you know, the one that has more modern suspension and weighs 100 lbs less
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got a rich man's KLR, a Honda XR-650L, you know, the one that has more modern suspension and weighs 100 lbs less

The one with the huge gap inbetween first and second gear, the one that does not have the aftermarket following like the KLR, the one that does not work as well on the streets as the KLR, you mean the lesser of the XR650's (because REAL Honda riders ride XR650R's).  

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I want to try one of those some time.  THe reason I went with the KLR is I want to know I could do a long cross country trip if I wanted to without much expense.  I could never live with the Honda's little gas tank and I would definitely try to find a better seat to ride on but I would love the better off road capability.  Not that many used ones around.  People hold on to them around here and they do cost a bit more than the KLR.

Patrick
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#13]
My first bike, I picked it up a few years ago and I'm ashamed to admit that I am just now learning how to ride it.

Only mods I know of are the relocation of the license plate and the big gun exhaust.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#14]
2008 KLR650 owner here. Last year I rode it from Wisconsin to Alaska and back.

Unfortunately I got one of the 2008 oil burners. Even though I kept it at about 60 MPH, I still went through a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Kawi says "that's normal" but I say it's not.

I put one of the throttle locks on it, metal bash plate, road pegs, and a "Day Long" seat by Russel Cycle products. Made 1000 mile days almost easy.

Stay Safe,
AGreyMan
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I suppose this thread is about as good a place as any to ask a question.

As I stated earlier I am just learning how to ride my KLR650 after taking the MSF class and getting my license. I've been out on it twice for about 30 minutes each time and I've found a problem. The clutch cover is getting very hot, hot enough to burn the cuff of my pants. I don't necessarily notice it while riding but each time I get back I have a burn mark on my pant leg and the clutch cover is too hot to touch. I checked the oil level and it's midway between the min and max levels so that should be fine. Any ideas what the problem might be?

This can't be normal, right?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
anyone else?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
anyone else?

nope i went the DR650 route. will be a 725 after warranty. Now i want a husqvarna te630 REALLY bad
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#18]

someone have one and want to trade? haha
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I suppose this thread is about as good a place as any to ask a question.

As I stated earlier I am just learning how to ride my KLR650 after taking the MSF class and getting my license. I've been out on it twice for about 30 minutes each time and I've found a problem. The clutch cover is getting very hot, hot enough to burn the cuff of my pants. I don't necessarily notice it while riding but each time I get back I have a burn mark on my pant leg and the clutch cover is too hot to touch. I checked the oil level and it's midway between the min and max levels so that should be fine. Any ideas what the problem might be?

This can't be normal, right?

You are slipping the clutch way too much or else the clutch adjustment is way out to lunch.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine, my only complaint is that this is the last one I can buy and I already have 30k miles on it and it's an 07. Hopefully I can make it last 100k miles maybe by that time I can afford a Honda XR650L and set it up how I need it. I am bitter about KAWs stupid fake 08 upgrade where they took away suspension and added weight and a bunch of cheap bodywork. So fuck them.

SEXY

Daily commute mode with tank and seat bag and Popndouche as co pilot.

Must haves:
cruise control, I use it everyday
I always cut my levers for 2 fingers, less likely to break at the perch in a dump and can always cover levers and still grip with ring and pinky.
No windshield, all it does is cause buffeting, and is in the way for offroading(jammed into my neck 1 time and that was enough).
DR650 foot pegs, steel serrated, no slippery rubber pegs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Love mine. Will tear it down and work on it this winter. Thinking of a more tactical paint job.  Not to worry I have an extra tank and plastics:)
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:38:55 AM EDT
[#22]
dl650 man here so i cant comment about how cool you COULD have been if you have gotten a v twin instead...

I thought about a KLR and then discovered that I could get the same places on a vstrom, and  get to trail heads sooner and not worry about impeeding traffic on the way there...
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:44:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
dl650 man here so i cant comment about how cool you COULD have been if you have gotten a v twin instead...

I thought about a KLR and then discovered that I could get the same places on a vstrom, and  get to trail heads sooner and not worry about impeeding traffic on the way there...

Remember any bike that has it's exhaust as a skid plate was not meant to go off road.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:09:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have had both.  I had an 07 DL650 in between KLRs.  You are right, there is no comparison when it comes to riding on the highway.  The Strom beats the KLR.  But living here in Colorado, I learned the hard way right after buying the Strom that I had given up a whole bunch of off road freedom.  Yeah, you can sort of still do it but it is harder, scarier, and much more risky to the Strom than the KLR.  And there are places I can go on my KLR I would never have taken the Strom.  You put some D606 tires on the KLR, there is no way the Strom could keep up with me in some of the places I have been.

My experience was that when I tried to go anywhere that was rough, I regretted getting the Strom.  When I need to go 500 miles on a road trip, I was glad I had it.  The issue came down to that the way I ride where I live right now, the KLR is the far better choice.  It's like the difference between a Ford Expedition and a Jeep Wrangler.  Yeah, both can go off road but its better in the jeep when it gets rough.

Patrick
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:16:06 AM EDT
[#25]
If I was buying a bike just for me I would love to get a KRL but for what I want one for the F800gs would fit me best but with the price premium and the problems I read I guess Im going Vstrom .
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Everything in red is bullshit
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you are impeding traffic on a KLR, it's because you ride like a pussy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had both.  I had an 07 DL650 in between KLRs.  You are right, there is no comparison when it comes to riding on the highway.  The Strom beats the KLR.  But living here in Colorado, I learned the hard way right after buying the Strom that I had given up a whole bunch of off road freedom.  Yeah, you can sort of still do it but it is harder, scarier, and much more risky to the Strom than the KLR.  And there are places I can go on my KLR I would never have taken the Strom.  You put some D606 tires on the KLR, there is no way the Strom could keep up with me in some of the places I have been.

My experience was that when I tried to go anywhere that was rough, I regretted getting the Strom.  When I need to go 500 miles on a road trip, I was glad I had it.  The issue came down to that the way I ride where I live right now, the KLR is the far better choice.  It's like the difference between a Ford Expedition and a Jeep Wrangler.  Yeah, both can go off road but its better in the jeep when it gets rough.

Patrick

Very well put .
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one with the huge gap inbetween first and second gear, the one that does not have the aftermarket following like the KLR, the one that does not work as well on the streets as the KLR, you mean the lesser of the XR650's (because REAL Honda riders ride XR650R's).  

What about 600R's?  

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Since this is a KLR thread, wouldn't "disassemble" be more appropriate in the tile?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I have been looking into getting a KLR for about a year now, one of these days I will pull the trigger.....so, I guess this is a tag?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about 600R's?  
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/gixxerjoeca/hondaXR600.jpg?t=1279923705

I loved mine, except for it being a beat to death piece of shit.  That part was kind of a bummer.  Other than that it was great.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice bikes, I have always wanted one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Mine is the one on the right with me standing by it, winter road riding when it wasn't winter

no kickstands were required for this picture

2002, kickstart added, aftermarket skidplate, barkbusters, doo done, improved suspension, it gets 18" wheels all around and the 685 kit (maybe 705) hopefully this winter
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Need.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#37]
i like these bikes, the camo one is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Want.............badly.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I wonder what the best way to camoflauge one is... The one I'm looking at is currently red.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Here's my '08 in the middle of a 8,000+ mile trip to FL and back last year:

Have around 28 thousand miles on it and 20-some-odd states.
I've got it loaded for touring with a metric-shitton of farkles including
320mm front disc
stainless steel front brake line
cartridge emulators
progressive front springs
Superbrace
Thermobob
Eagle Mike doohicky
Kissan dual headlight modulaor
PIAA Xtreme white headlight bulbs
Symtec grip heaters and Heat-troller
Garmin 2730 GPS and RAM mount
progressive rear shock
SW Motech crashbars
Happy-Trails centerstand
MSR footpegs
Stebel air horn
Sargent saddle
Caribou sidecases
JC Whitney topcase
Brake! LED taillight
LED license plate frame/light

SPOT satellite tracker
That's just off the top of my head.  
Previously owned an '07 (red) that I totaled in an accident with around 17 thousand miles and about 9 states.  It was equipped very much like my '08 is:

ETA after looking more closely at the thread:

My '08 burns oil too.  About a quart every 1500 or so but only when running at 4500 revs or higher.  Keep it around 4k and it hardly sips it.  Kawi said 1 quart per thousand is "normal".  Bullshit.  My '07 didn't burn a drop even running at freeway speeds in 90 degree temps.

I run a 16 tooth countersprocket so it keeps the revs down for the most part.

ETA.. again.  In case some very sharp eyed KLR owner spots it, the fender on the '08 isn't stock.  I replaced it to help tame the crosswind handling (along with the cartridge emulators).  It's from a KTM

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Blue 2008 w/17k miles. Lemme see if I can find a picture.

Yep, here.

15.25 in the quarter.
Yeah, that slow.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#42]
I wanted one but then tried to sit on it.  I'm 5'8" and could barely touch the ground with my tip-toes.  Way diff't than my old '77 KZ-650C1.

What's the hive's opinion of the Suzuki DRZ-450SM?
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm really going to look at picking one up this next spring.

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I should trade my Road King in on one......
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wanted one but then tried to sit on it.  I'm 5'8" and could barely touch the ground with my tip-toes.  Way diff't than my old '77 KZ-650C1.

What's the hive's opinion of the Suzuki DRZ-450SM?

Not naughty enough to be a real supermoto but makes a fun in town commuter. The other side of me says that you can get a hell of a lot more bike of any kind for what one of those sells for.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what the best way to camoflauge one is... The one I'm looking at is currently red.

Mine was done by the previous owner with Krylon Fusion paint. It has held up quite well and I would recommend it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, I stopped by the Kawasaki dealer and he had a used, sun-faded KLR... 2001 Grey paint, green trim...  3,800 miles..  $1800.  I put $300 down, rest in cash at the end of the month.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/sfdave/DSC03137-858x649.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/sfdave/DSC03134-853x648.jpg

Kolor By Krylon Fusion in a rattle can. It was done by the previous owner, has held up really well.

I went with a taller windscreen to get rid of the buffeting at freeway speeds. The tall screen just raised it up so I got beat around the head instead of under it. Pretty brutal. I pulled the screen off completely and am happy with the wind protection. It's not like the stock screen ever did anything for you anyway......  DOT legal knobbies are magic on a KLR, but they wear out in 1500 miles and are EXTREMELY LOUD on the freeway. Couldn't wait to get rid of them. Went back to the stock tires.

This bike has had the carb mod done and the Doohickey installed. It's pushing 20,000 miles now, still runs great. I plan to install a throttle lock/cruise control, a better seat, and maybe the 6 gallon Acerbis tank. That's it. Not my best bike, not my worst-but I'll keep it til it dies. There's something to be said for a bike that you don't car if it gets rained on or you go down a mud road. This is a bike that I can throw a bag on and go out of state for a weekend or run across town and not give a shit what people think about it. It's a totally different experience to putting on a full roadrace suit and riding my GSXR....

I really like what you have going on there Dave...I think the addition of the bigger Acerbis tank painted in the krylon camo would be the icing on the cake
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Well, I stopped by the Kawasaki dealer and he had a used, sun-faded KLR... 2001 Grey paint, green trim...  3,800 miles..  $1800.  I put $300 down, rest in cash at the end of the month.

Stop by http://advrider.com and http://klr650.net and look around a bit.  TONS of great info there.

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/sfdave/DSC03137-858x649.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/sfdave/DSC03134-853x648.jpg

I really like what you have going on there Dave...I think the addition of the bigger Acerbis tank painted in the krylon camo would be the icing on the cake

Yep, that's in the plans along with a cruise control throttle lock and a corbin saddle. The bike has not had a windscreen on it for the last 4,000 miles because the stock one buffeted under my helmet something fierce and a tall screen just beat my head sideways like I was sparring with Tyson. Without the windscreen it's MUCH better at freeway speeds. I have the plastic handguards to put on still, mostly as a way to keep rain water off of my leather gloves.

My best KLR memory so far: A trip from Detroit to Oshkosh Wisconsin for the airshow. I left in the rain on Saturday at O-dark-thirty and almost missed the ferry at Ludington to take me to Manitowoc-I forgot about the time change. The ferry ride takes 4 hours and has several restaurants, a masseus, game rooms observation decks etc. Cost was about $110 for the bike and I, and bikes are the first on and off when you stop. Met about 10 other guys who were on bike trips. The boat trip was a really good time and a nice way to recover from the 4 hour ride all night getting there. I laid out on the deck for most of it and slept when I wasn't talking to a group of Mennonites.

After we docked, I paired up with a college professor and his son who were just "riding somewhere for the weekend" and we rode the back roads thru farm country all the way to Oshkosh.  I specifically went to see the helicopters and ultralights, and camped on the airport just outside of the Ultralight area. There were a ton of bikes there, but not many were staying on the airport. I pitched my tent, left all my gear and enjoyed the day. The evening festivities in the camping area were Epic.

The trip home had me riding in a lot of rain and my ass was about to divorce me for putting up with that vinyl brick. I got home soggy and tired on Sunday and slept until I had to be back at work. Oshkosh was one of my "To Do List" trips, I recommend it highly.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top