Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]
how much can the suspensions be beefed up on these for a big rider?
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well, I stopped by the Kawasaki dealer and he had a used, sun-faded KLR... 2001 Grey paint, green trim...  3,800 miles..  $1800.  I put $300 down, rest in cash at the end of the month.

That was a SCORE. Before you do anything with it, do the Dohickee mod-these motors have one weak spot, and this is it. If you don't replace it (the cam chain tensioner), the bike might last 10,000 more miles, but it might only last 10 miles before the doohickee fails.

I have never heard of a high mileage KLR that didn't have the Doohickee done. KLR motors are extremely hard to find in junkards, so just get it done with some of the money you saved on the bike.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool thread
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I once got a Bone Stock (2 teeth larger countershaft sproket) 85 KLR250  up to 94 mph on the hollywood fwy between hoover & downtown LA !
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The stock suspension on the pre 08 models are pretty wimpy.  They improved things a bit 08 and up.

When I started riding my 07 I was about 240-250# add to that for pants/jacket/gloves/boots/helmet.  Add to THAT my touring loadout with cases, gear, tools etc... north of 130 pounds.

With progressive front springs and stock rear shock, it was a bit much.  I added an Eagle Mike raising link for the shock and it made things good.  The stock rear shock quickly died under that load and I replaced with a progressive.  The longer link made the ride too hard and the progressive shock has a huge preload adjustment range, unlike the stock one, so I got rid of the link.

My 08 is configured with progressive front springs, cartridge emulators and a progressive rear shock.  The stock shock is better than the 07 but it still wore out under my touring load pretty quickly.

07 and before front springs suck.  The bike dives during braking.  Those should be replaced with progressives first thing.  08 up, they're better but swapping for progressives still improves things.

If you need even more beefing up, there are several different rear shocks available from aftermarket suppliers that can deal with the toughest riding conditions you can throw at the bike.

One of the great advantages of the KLR is that it's been around for so damned long with few changes that there is big aftermarket for parts and virtually every problem/quirk exposed.  Toss a question/issue out there and the community will have an answer/fix/part for it practically before you hit "enter" on the keyboard.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:55:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I stopped by the Kawasaki dealer and he had a used, sun-faded KLR... 2001 Grey paint, green trim...  3,800 miles..  $1800.  I put $300 down, rest in cash at the end of the month.

That was a SCORE. Before you do anything with it, do the Dohickee mod-these motors have one weak spot, and this is it. If you don't replace it (the cam chain tensioner), the bike might last 10,000 more miles, but it might only last 10 miles before the doohickee fails.

I have never heard of a high mileage KLR that didn't have the Doohickee done. KLR motors are extremely hard to find in junkards, so just get it done with some of the money you saved on the bike.

I've got 80 2009 Silver Eagles posted on Craigslist.  I'm not going to wait until the end of the month! LOL!
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:16:03 AM EDT
[#7]
My sexy beast...

Adding new rubber (Michelin Pilots) on the 17" Excels

New rear spring (500 Hypercoil)

New front suspension (52kg/mm)

New (used) slip on open exhaust

New SS Galfer front brake line

New Chain

New 16T countershaft sprocket

New 41T rear sprocket

Has 14,500 miles on her as my daily driver, primarily interstate here in Albuquerque. Currently she will run 85 mph @ 5100 rpm while getting 45 mpg. I am looking to get the same speed with fewer RPMs and better mileage with the rear sprocket change.

Suspension has been a weak point because I like food and am of large stature at 6'5" and 250lbs in full gear. I had already raised the suspension w/ aftermarket dog bones and had installed Eagle Mike's fork braces, but the new spring rates will be the icing on the cake.

The other shortcoming of this bike is the stock braking, especially the front. I am hoping the addition of the stainless braided brake line will improve the front binders...if not, I will have to sell a kidney and buy the oversized 320m kit.

I love this bike...it does nothing superbly, but does it all very well. No other entry priced bike can say that.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Mine is a black 99 . This is from our trip to the U.P. near L'anse. Several mods , doo hickey, seat trimmed (I'm not that tall!) , aftermarket footpegs, handguards, paint job , trimmed the front fender and many more I am probably forgetting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't wait!
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My sexy beast...

New Chain
New 41T rear sprocket

Has 14,500 miles on her as my daily driver, primarily interstate here in Albuquerque. Currently she will run 85 mph @ 5100 rpm while getting 45 mpg. I am looking to get the same speed with fewer RPMs and better mileage with the rear sprocket change.

Suspension has been a weak point because I like food and am of large stature at 6'5" and 250lbs in full gear. I had already raised the suspension w/ aftermarket dog bones and had installed Eagle Mike's fork braces, but the new spring rates will be the icing on the cake.

The other shortcoming of this bike is the stock braking, especially the front. I am hoping the addition of the stainless braided brake line will improve the front binders...if not, I will have to sell a kidney and buy the oversized 320m kit.

I love this bike...it does nothing superbly, but does it all very well. No other entry priced bike can say that.

Thats a beauty right there
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thats what I'm wondering.........Im at 270 now. Would you be able to pre-load the rear spring enough?
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My sexy beast...

New Chain

New 41T rear sprocket

Thats a beauty right there
Thank you, sir!

I enjoy the hell out of her and am very excited about adding all of the new mods!

BTW, the Hypercoil and new 52kg/mm fork springs I am installing will allow for weights in the 270+ range. As they come stock...no they are not really set up for our kind of massive...

I think the pre-'07 versions are the better bike because of the huge amount of plastic the new fairing style incorporates. OTOH, the post '07 bikes address two shortcomings of the previous version....a bigger set of forks (37mm to 41mm) and a larger front brake rotor (320mm).

Saying these things...the pre-'07 bikes can be picked up for very cheap....the motor/tranny has stayed the same.

Every shortcoming of these bikes can be addressed with a huge and thriving aftermarket parts sourcing....for cheap. And it is fun to wrench on your own stuff.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My sexy beast...

New Chain

New 41T rear sprocket

The SS front brake line will help a bit.  The 320mm rotor is like night and day.  Real nice for normal braking but a "HOLY SHIT!" level of improvement in a max effort stop.  Galfer green pads with the 320 rotor are *sweet*.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's mine...I like the bike, but I would really like a KTM ADV.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Funny this thread.  I saw one on the interstate today. First time to see one doing 65.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Put some make up on the girl last week

Patrick
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I suppose this thread is about as good a place as any to ask a question.

As I stated earlier I am just learning how to ride my KLR650 after taking the MSF class and getting my license. I've been out on it twice for about 30 minutes each time and I've found a problem. The clutch cover is getting very hot, hot enough to burn the cuff of my pants. I don't necessarily notice it while riding but each time I get back I have a burn mark on my pant leg and the clutch cover is too hot to touch. I checked the oil level and it's midway between the min and max levels so that should be fine. Any ideas what the problem might be?

This can't be normal, right?

YOU ARE RUNNING ALMOST A FULL QUART LOW ON OIL, WHICH IS NOT  AN IMMEDIATE CRISIS, BUT PLEASE FILL YOUR OIL UP TO FULL BEFORE YOU RIDE MORE.
....Clutch is likely slipping, slack off the cable adjuster a full turn, assure that clutch lever has a bit of slack before actuating  the cable.
check for more information at KLR.NET
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suppose this thread is about as good a place as any to ask a question.

As I stated earlier I am just learning how to ride my KLR650 after taking the MSF class and getting my license. I've been out on it twice for about 30 minutes each time and I've found a problem. The clutch cover is getting very hot, hot enough to burn the cuff of my pants. I don't necessarily notice it while riding but each time I get back I have a burn mark on my pant leg and the clutch cover is too hot to touch. I checked the oil level and it's midway between the min and max levels so that should be fine. Any ideas what the problem might be?

This can't be normal, right?

YOU ARE RUNNING ALMOST A FULL QUART LOW ON OIL, WHICH IS NOT  AN IMMEDIATE CRISIS, BUT PLEASE FILL YOUR OIL UP TO FULL BEFORE YOU RIDE MORE.

....Clutch is likely slipping, slack off the cable adjuster a full turn, assure that clutch lever has a bit of slack before actuating  the cable.

check for more information at KLR.NET

THIS

Full capacity is 2.5 liters.  With the bike held level or on a centerstand that will take it up to just the top of the sight glass or a fraction above.

Since it's a wet clutch any decrease in oil level will reduce the cooling capacity, hence why yours is getting hot.  You'll also notice the clutch/shifting getting a bit wonky as the oil starts to wear.  Check frequently and always keep it topped up.  Your engine and clutch will appreciate it.  

I run Rotella-T synthetic in mine (easy to find at almost any Wal-Mart anywhere), buy a bulk pack of filters from Arrowhead Motorsports and change both every 3,000 miles.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Good to know....
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 4:50:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have owned lots of bikes over the years and I always keep coming back to this one-  the KLR 650.

Bought this off craigslist 3 weeks ago for 3000 bucks.  PO had already done some good things to it and I still have some stuff to do before I am done.

Took it out today and had a blast.  This pic was taken today high on a bluff somewhere in South Park near Hartsel, Colorado.  I came home and the brown truck had left me my skid plate and rear brake housing guard and doohicky parts.  

Love to see your KLRs and even hear about your like's, dislikes, and your non negotiable MODs.  This is my third one.  Had an 07 Red, an 08 Green, and now this 06 Green.  Between the new ones and the old style, I would say the new ones are a little better on the highway but the old ones are better off road if only because there isn't so much expensive plastic to bust up.   I put a smaller front sprocket on so I could do some low speed stuff on rough trails.  Still runs around 65 MPH at 4700 RPM.  That's fast enough for me.  I am old enough to know that I can get killed on one of these things.

Patrick

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9296/hpim1150smaller.jpg

Same exact KLR650 I had until I rounded a corner at 50mph and saw the downed tree in the road.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/mleaky/Vehicles/KLRSellC.jpg

My husband wants to know where you got the green plastic from, or if you painted it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/mleaky/Vehicles/KLRSellC.jpg

My husband wants to know where you got the green plastic from, or if you painted it.

There were a few years that KLR's came from the factory olive green. My bike was originally red, but was faded and scratched up. I think I ordered the plastics from Ron Ayere's online.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Sold the silver.  Dropped the check off.  When the check clears, the bike is MINE!
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Just finished her early mid-life tune up...14.5k miles and just getting started...

New 52kg./mm progressive front fork springs with extended spacers

New 500 hypercoil rear spring replacement...no nore huge-assed sag for my 250lb ATGATT weight w/ bookbag and etc.

New front and rear rubber for the 17s....went mid conpound for longer life with good handling.

New/used aftermarket exhaust....wide open and LOUD

New Galfer SS front break line....sticky front end

New front and rear brake pads....way past due

New counter sprocket (13T, I think...too tired to remember/too lazy to check now)

New rear sprocket (41T...see above....bot make it go faster at lower RPM with a slightly higher ratio)

regreased everything....retourqued everything....resealed everything....replaced everything above....very tired

Funny thing is, it looks the same but rides like a whole new bike! Awesome

Finally done after about a thousand hours of wrenching....

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Funny this thread.  I saw one on the interstate today. First time to see one doing 65.

LoL, they go a hell of a lot fast than that! They top out around 105, with decent acceleration up to 85. There aren't too many left lane passes you can't make safely-the KLR is a no-excuses streetbike.

ETA: I left the GSXR behind today and rode the KLR to work. Perfect day to take the long windy way to work
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I think I really need one of these!

BTW, WTH is the doo hickey thingy?
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just finished her early mid-life tune up...14.5k miles and just getting started...

New 52kg./mm progressive front fork springs with extended spacers
New 500 hypercoil rear spring replacement...no nore huge-assed sag for my 250lb ATGATT weight w/ bookbag and etc.
New front and rear rubber for the 17s....went mid conpound for longer life with good handling.
New/used aftermarket exhaust....wide open and LOUD
New Galfer SS front break line....sticky front end
New front and rear brake pads....way past due
New counter sprocket (13T, I think...too tired to remember/too lazy to check now)
New rear sprocket (41T...see above....bot make it go faster at lower RPM with a slightly higher ratio)
regreased everything....retourqued everything....resealed everything....replaced everything above....very tired

Funny thing is, it looks the same but rides like a whole new bike! Awesome

Finally done after about a thousand hours of wrenching....

so much difference do you notice with the suspension and brake upgrades?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:59:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I noticed an immediate increase in front brake grabby-ness...the best way to describe it is that there is a more forceful and prompt brake response. I am glad I had also improved the front suspension because if not the front dive would be significant!

Rear suspension feels like my old YZF426 which was properly tuned for my size. No more huge sag when I weight the bike. It seems to ride better and more 'level' without that nose high attitude.

If you weigh more than 160 lbs., I would definitely suggest doing the SS brake and improve both ends of the suspension.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:03:45 AM EDT
[#30]
All these pics of KLR's and not a single milk-crate top box? Not a single $8 cabby-bead seat cushion?

This has to be the classiest group of KLR owners ever assembled in one place. You guys are deluxe!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All these pics of KLR's and not a single milk-crate top box? Not a single $8 cabby-bead seat cushion?

This has to be the classiest group of KLR owners ever assembled in one place. You guys are deluxe!

That shit works?  Hmmm....
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a rich man's KLR, a Honda XR-650L, you know, the one that has more modern suspension and weighs 100 lbs less

The one with the huge gap inbetween first and second gear, the one that does not have the aftermarket following like the KLR, the one that does not work as well on the streets as the KLR, you mean the lesser of the XR650's (because REAL Honda riders ride XR650R's).  

What about 600R's?  
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/gixxerjoeca/hondaXR600.jpg?t=1279923705

I loved mine, except for it being a beat to death piece of shit.  That part was kind of a bummer.  Other than that it was great.

Can't complain about my 600R, well, as long as I don't get the dual sport bug at least.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Thought I would throw this in to revive the thread a little.  Recent trip to the Alpine Tunnel near Pitkin, Colorado.  About 3 weeks ago.

Pat

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top