Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 12:12:23 AM EDT
For over 20 years, we had the VCR and it was tape.......and then the DVD medium took over and tape practically disappeared over night, leaving some of us with a heck of a conversion issue.

Right now, it's a competition between DVD and Blue ray, but one has a means to play the DVD.

But.....any thoughts of what the future will hold? What will transform to give someone a headache to find ways to convert their libraries to the new things......as oppose to being faced with the prospect of having to buy the library over again?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I think maybe streaming membership services like Netflix, or OnDemand type services like Vudu.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Sharks with frickin lazer beams on their heads that's what.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Memory cards, Plug and play
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Blue-ray is already has one foot in the grave.  By the time blue-ray is affordable to the 'masses'(ie 5 bucks ala wal mart bargain bins), bandwidth will be cheap enough to stream the same same program for a fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:16:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I have almost 200 DVDs and haven't watched one in months. I stream Netflix and OnDemand and haven't bought a DVD since Punisher:War Zone came out. I can't watch any movie I want but there are enough to choose from that it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:28:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I doubt physical media will ever go away completely.  Stores still selling CDs is pretty good evidence of that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:31:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think maybe streaming membership services like Netflix, or OnDemand type services like Vudu.

This.

I have a huge bookcase overflowing with 10 years of DVD buying. I would love to get rid of them all. They take up space, its a pain in the ass to find stuff, I can't even remember what I have, and the kids scratch them all the time.

It would be wonderful to get rid of all that with a streaming service that had the same video quality. If they can figure out a way to get it working on in-car video systems (iphone or netbook plugin somehow?) or on portable media devices as well, then buh bye blu ray...
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:00:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Blue-ray is already has one foot in the grave.  By the time blue-ray is affordable to the 'masses'(ie 5 bucks ala wal mart bargain bins), bandwidth will be cheap enough to stream the same same program for a fraction of the cost.

Already there. Wal mart had a rack of $5 blue rays.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:05:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Fucking magnets.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:42:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I like my hard library of real movies I can look at and people can see...stuff on a hard drive or streamed from a site is not tangible to me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:43:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I still like vhs
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:59:41 AM EDT
[#12]
This is why I never bought many CDs, VHS, DVDs, etc.  I have maybe 10 VHS tapes, 20 DVDs and almost all of them are my kids cartoon ones.  I hardly ever have the urge to re watch movies unless it is on TV.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:06:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I finally bought a blu-ray player two weeks ago.  It hasn't had a disk in it yet.  I've been streaming netflix with it almost every night though.  

We still have a fairly large vhs collection.  The only ones that get played are kids movies for my daughter.  Those old vhs tapes are much more forgiving than a disc in the hands of a toddler.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:09:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Thumb drives, memory cards, download.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:11:01 AM EDT
[#15]
If you're obsessed with video quality, it's hard to go back to DVDs after you've seen the bluray version. Band of Brothers on bluray looks amazingly crisp and clear compared to the DVD version, it's even more realistic than before.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:17:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I doubt physical media will ever go away completely.  Stores still selling CDs is pretty good evidence of that.

Buy them by the hundreds here.......although, as far as CD's go, I find I am not burning them as fast as I use to. The key point to that is that the CD holds so much, but the face of one holds so little of a description. I have a ton of information, in drawers filled with lots of CD, but finding the right one, that/s the problem. So right now, with hard drive prices down, I'm copying over a lot of my CD's so at least I can use a computer's search feature in an attempt to find data.

Quoted:

For me, there are several catches with this. First of all, there is the assumption that they will have what i want all the time. This, in part, goes into the same reason for my data CD's which may be over a decade old. I may want to look at something, refer to it, .......... and now, it's out of print. I can't depend that people will always have that data.....especially when experience shows me that they don't. I went to Hastings the other month and they no longer carry the 1973 version of "The Three Musketeers". One has to remember we are talking about a business and they are going to have the things that make them money. They are probably not to have stuff, pay for its storage, if one person only checks it from time to time.

Secondly, I don't want to pay someone a fee every time I want to see it if I can buy it myself and have my own copy. That's a general figure for me. About the time I've rented something twice, I start looking to get my own copy.

Third...................................I'm not too crazy about a third party keeping records on what I watch.

Now, I know I asked for suggestions on what the next media will be................but doesn't reason 3 make it interesting, considering of how much we get up in arms about that?

Quoted: Memory cards, Plug and play

I would sort of love this except for two things. First of all, it runs into the same problem that the face of the CD does....holds a lot of information but has a small surface to tell you what is on it. Secondly, how many thumb drives does one have? Does anyone know where all their thumbdrives are? Little things that can get lost in a heart beat.

For me, ideally, I'd like a memory "box", something that could be pulled out of a system and carried in case one had to abandon the place.  Something the length of a man's hand that could all the data. Of course, the system to run it would probably need to be complex.

Quoted:
This is why I never bought many CDs, VHS, DVDs, etc.  I have maybe 10 VHS tapes, 20 DVDs and almost all of them are my kids cartoon ones.  I hardly ever have the urge to re watch movies unless it is on TV.

Me, I do it all the time. There would be a particular segment, piece of something I want to see, feel, and I would go after that. I use to do it on TV, but I gave up on that given the way that the stations would hatched stuff. There would be a particular set of lines I would want to hear.....and it would be cut out for more commercial space. For example, ST:TOS "The Paradise Syndrome"? In between the time the  Enterprise leaves orbit and when they get to the asteroid, there is an astern shot of the ship in deep space with Spock making a log entry of pushing the ship. Often in syndication, that is cut out......................but I love that scene, it sets the mood for what is to come........................but the jerks cut it out.

Or Thane's interrogation in BSG (classic) "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero". Snip-snip!

Of course, the problem with tape is finding a supply of machines to play them on. So as i convert my tapes to DVD's, i wonder what's down the road....and will I have to go thru this again then.
(The Doctor as the Lord President has collapsed at his coronation. "Oh, do shut up, Chancellor, or we will have to go through this dreary ceremony again in the very near future. The President is very sick and needs rest."––Lord Surgeon, (w,stte), Dr. Who "The Invasion of Time")
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:18:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I think DVD's will be around awhile. Blue Ray is nice, but the jump in quality is not in the same ballpark as VHS to DVD was, I don't know how well its doing, tbh. I also think the future of movies will either be streamable or on some type of flash drive.

And I still have a  27" TV/VCR Combo... waiting for it to die so I have an excuse to upgrade to an LED or Plasma, otherwise there is little point for me.

My brother has a 32" LCD and the works. Its great for the awe factor, but once you get caught up in a good movie, you completely forget to notice the super fine details blueray & an hd tv offer. My old tube, $40 Sony DVD player & $15 Altec Lansing speakers keep me very engaged when I'm watching a good movie.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Streaming internet service. Maybe like the Steam service. Buy once, and it is always available to you, where ever you are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top