Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2001 6:05:02 AM EDT
What is "boat tail" and what are the other variants of tails???  Whats a tail?  The back of the bullet?

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:41:21 AM EDT
[#1]
The "tail" end of the bullet and the "base" are generally synonomous.  Bullets can be flat based, with the longitudinal surface ending at 90 degree angle with the bullet base.  With "Boat tail" bullets the longitudinal surface stops short of the base and changes angle towards the bullets central axis before making a 90 degree angle with the base.  In other words, the base is narrower than a flat version.  If you lay such a bullet on a flat surface and look down on it, it is the shape of a boat.  In my experience boat tail bullets are more accurate than flat based bullets when shooting at long ranges.

There are other specialty versions such as hollow base, gas check, etc.  Good reloading manuals such as those published by Sierra, Hornady, Speer and Nosler, discuss bullets and their characteristics in great detail.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Nuckles,

Not a stupid question.  It is bullet shape.  For the best answer, go to the Sierra website, or Hornady, or other bullet manufacturers.  I'd list them but don't have them now and am on the way to range to test new scope on M14.  Yeehaa.

James
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!!!  I love this place, instant info.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The "tail"... and the "base" are generally synonomous.
View Quote

All your tail are belong to us.
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Speaking of tail...oh never mind.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top